Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why are 1921 peace dollars so expensive now?

markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 6, 2021 10:07AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just a year ago I could find rows upon rows of 1921 peace dollars. I saw Ms 62 being sold for around $300. And at the time of buying my Au58 I only spent $250 which was considered over paying since even the PCGS price guide said it was worth $240 and auctions where only going for about $225 in Au 58 grades. Now everything has changed. I just checked the PCGS auction records and Au58 now sell for around $410 +. The price guide says $450 and Ms 62 is now listed at more that twice the value at $700. I have bean looking to upgrade my peace to an Ms 62 but now looking online I can barely find any without them being extremely expensive. Even at coin shows I have had no luck and finding 1921 peace dollars in general. What’s going on ??? What do you guys think 🤔

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1921-1-high-relief-peace/7356

Comments

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭

With so much cash in the system right now, many things are going for stupid money. Stimulus at work???

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad I bought a few several years ago.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cheezhed said:
    Glad I bought a few several years ago.

Bummed I sold a half roll of high AU’s for $120 each years ago when I needed some quick cash.
    Oh well....
    Thankful I had them to sell, and had the good sense to save a couple of the higher grade ones.
    Interesting times!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s because I was thinking about buying one. Same thing goes for trucks.
    At least I’m getting to sell a house in this market (and not having to buy one in the same market) after buying it in the 2007 bubble.
    I’m probably just going to hold off on the ‘21 Peace, as well as the truck.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

DC bought a 100 to make his MCMXXI Broken Sword High Relief overstrike.

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes me want to load up on 1932 quarters in case I live that long.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

As the divorce attorney said to the nervous and uncertain client, because it’s worth it!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can remember taking 1921 Peace Dollars back to the bank in the early 1960's. There were always several in any large lot that you got from the bank.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hype and the centennial of the series?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I'm guessing some major dealers are buying them up for a major promotion where they'll be paired up with the 2021 Peace dollar. Plan on seeing them later this year in magazine ads, HSN, QVC, etc. Their target audience will not be experienced coin collectors and they will be over priced.

If true they are going to be cheap in 2 years.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

They used to be high priced back in the day. They were lower mintage often circulated and sometimes attractive. But there were too many to maintain a big premium as the number of collectors shrank and their sophistication grew.

Now there's a new crop of collectors and it's been 100 years. No doubt there are or will be promotions afoot for a set of '21 morgan and peace dollars.

I'd expect nicer specimens to maintain their premiums for the foreseeable future.

I was stunned recently to find how cheap they were.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2021 8:06PM

It's due to the centennial. Some people just want them.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    It's due to the centennial. Some people just want them.

It would make for a nice looking 2-coin PCGS set, 1921 & 2021.

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a one with an ANACS photo cert graded 63/63. PCGS graded it 63 as well. Glad I don't have to look for one now.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I'm guessing some major dealers are buying them up for a major promotion where they'll be paired up with the 2021 Peace dollar. Plan on seeing them later this year in magazine ads, HSN, QVC, etc. Their target audience will not be experienced coin collectors and they will be over priced.

I think this hits the nail right on the head.

• Options
    edited May 6, 2021 8:27PM

@Weiss said:
    People have finally realized how ugly Morgan dollars are?

The peace design is more elegant but the Morgan’s eye appeal is much more appealing. And the history. Except for the 1921, peace dollars don’t really look that great struck in low relief. The design just doesn’t pop like the Morgan’s do. Personally though I would rather collect the Morgan series.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@markelman1125 said:

@Weiss said:

The peace design is much better but the Morgan’s eye appeal is much more appealing. And the history. Except for the 1921, peace dollars don’t really look that great struck in low relief. The design just doesn’t pop like the Morgan’s do. Personally though I would rather collect the Morgan series.

No, I'm pretty sure I'm right about this.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2021 8:32PM

@Weiss said:

@markelman1125 said:

@Weiss said:

The peace design is much better but the Morgan’s eye appeal is much more appealing. And the history. Except for the 1921, peace dollars don’t really look that great struck in low relief. The design just doesn’t pop like the Morgan’s do. Personally though I would rather collect the Morgan series.

No, I'm pretty sure I'm right about this.

Just my personal opinion, peace dollars are nice and I love the 1921 high relief. Just like Morgan’s a bit more that the regular peace strike.

• Options
    edited May 6, 2021 9:37PM

@BryceM said:
    I dunno, but I'm glad I got these while the gettin' was good:

Amazing! I've been looking for a good 1921 High Relief. I didn't find one before the price jump!

• Options

Seems like I remember a run up of 1909-P and 1909-VDB Lincolns back in 2009. I think the VDB is still way overpriced-it's a very common coin.

• Options

Zoins, that is a spectacular '21 in 66.

• Options

@koynekwest said:
    Zoins, that is a spectacular '21 in 66.

That’s @BryceM ‘s coin. It is vary nice 👍

• Options

@koynekwest said:
    Here's one of mine. This one is MS63. I also have a VAM-3, ray thru "L" in MS62.

This coin is also a vary beautiful example, I can see it has a slightly frosty surface 👍

• Options

BryceM-that is a spectacular MS66 Peace!

• Options

I got that '21 Peace for the strike.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShaunBC5 said:
    It’s because I was thinking about buying one. Same thing goes for trucks.
    At least I’m getting to sell a house in this market (and not having to buy one in the same market) after buying it in the 2007 bubble.
    I’m probably just going to hold off on the ‘21 Peace, as well as the truck.

You say this as a joke, but it's actually the correct answer. You're not thinking about buying either at random, but for the same reason a lot of other people are thinking about it. When there is an increased demand and a constant supply, price goes up.

This is why contrarians can do so well. Problem is, sometimes no one ever decides to go back in to Classic Commems.

• Options

Thank you, markelman1125!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why were Washington Quarters expensive during the State Quarter program?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of the above. Money falling from the sky adds fuel to the flame. ;)

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad I bought my group when I did, these are my favorite coins so I have several of them.
    The whole Peace Dollar price guide is green right now.
    https://www.pcgs.com/prices/detail/peace-dollar/26/most-active

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@ricko said:
    @PerryHall nailed it....We will see a rash of hype/sales with these paired with the 2021 Peace dollar... Major prices.... Until about 2023 when the fever subsides.... Cheers, RickO

Also is it possible that if everyone buys the 1921 no will be available and so the demand would exceed the price.?

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2021 4:15PM

Who plugs holes ?
    1921 is a stand alone Peace Series issue.
    The entire 21 run was struck in higher relief during those final days of 1921.
    If people collect Peace type then they need two:
    1921 & 1922-1935
    If you dabble in Dan Carr Coinage Art, then you need three examples:
    1921, MCMXXI, 1922-1935

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do they indicate “HIGH RELIEF” on some 1921 Peace Dollar slabs?

Aren’t ALL 1921 Peace Dollars HIGH RELIEF?

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it’s what PCGS uses to distinguish the 1921 S$1 Morgan from the 1921 S$1 Peace dollar.

• Options

@CoinHoarder said:
    Why do they indicate “HIGH RELIEF” on some 1921 Peace Dollar slabs?

Aren’t ALL 1921 Peace Dollars HIGH RELIEF?

Not sure, it is common knowledge that all 1921 peace dollars are high relief. Just like a no motto half eagle. Not all the dates have no motto listed on the grade.

• Options

@ricko said:
    @PerryHall nailed it....We will see a rash of hype/sales with these paired with the 2021 Peace dollar... Major prices.... Until about 2023 when the fever subsides.... Cheers, RickO

Those that are thinking ahead will start buying 1922s now!

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS Price Guide for Peace $1's off the charts.

Up 20% and higher in many cases.

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/detail/peace-dollar/26/most-active

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file