Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which 2021 Morgan and Peace Dollars are you going to buy?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 5, 2021 8:49PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I probably won't be able to resist a CC!

Joseph Menna, the Mint’s Chief Engraver said:

you get better results than the originals

Apparently the CC was created at the request of Congressman Mark Amodei, whose district in Nevada is home to the old Carson City Mint. Anyone know Amodei?

https://coinweek.com/us-coins/the-coin-analyst-us-mint-roundtable-on-2021-morgan-and-peace-silver-dollars/

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 of each

Need to bend some ears about not wanting year after year issues.

I like the GSA pack idea, but it seems more appealing for just the Morgans.

And I thought the HR peace were stackable?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

One or two of the Peace dollar for me.

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2021 9:30PM

2 each of the morgans and 5 peace 🤷

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of each here.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neither, no interest for me.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they look like cheap knockoffs of the original coins. I think I will pass.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2021 10:02PM

Whenever I see photos of these upcoming coins, I always get the thought in my head of why pay $100 an ounce for some silver rounds. In any case, I am sure they will see a big pop on ebay in the first few months after issue -- however I wonder if they will settle back to near or below issue price a year or two from now after the hype wears off? I guess if you buy some, buy enough to sell a few on ebay for a good pop, then the ones you keep end up being free.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2021 10:06PM

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    whenever I see photos of these upcoming coins, I always get the thought in my head of why pay $100 an ounce for some silver rounds. in any case, I am sure they will see a big pop on ebay in the first few months after issue -- however I wonder if they will settle back to near or below issue price a year or two from now after the hype wears off?

My guess is if you get them from the Mint you'll do fine. Not sure if you buy them on eBay.

The 2001 Buffalo Silver Dollar has held up to the test of time:

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

This should be an easy decision for me but it turned out to me very difficult. I would like to have
    minimum of one each but I’m so afraid it will look somehow wrong, for a lack of a better word.
    I may wait till I see a picture of the real thing and then make my decision

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2021 10:24PM

I don’t like the idea of making them every year. There are enough pretty Morgans out there that I don’t think it’s good for the hobby for anyone to be able to buy a brand new one in MS/Proof 70 any time they wanted. I don’t see that spurring interest in MS64s from 120yrs ago...but maybe I’m wrong.

Edit to add: I love that they’re making them this year.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

None for me.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

I probably won't be able to resist a CC!

Joseph Menna, the Mint’s Chief Engraver said:

you get better results than the originals

Apparently the CC was created at the request of Congressman Mark Amodei, whose district in Nevada is home to the old Carson City Mint. Anyone know Amodei?

https://coinweek.com/us-coins/the-coin-analyst-us-mint-roundtable-on-2021-morgan-and-peace-silver-dollars/

Question re the picture: are they making these next year, too?

To answer the question: when I get offered them at melt.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex asked “ Question re the picture: are they making these next year, too?”

Based on the article @Zoins posted, it seems like the mint hopes to make this an annual program. I will buy some in 2021, but these are definitely not things I would collect on an ongoing basis. Just too much proliferation of stuff.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure, I just spent all my money on a real Carson Morgan, and I will be hiking in Utah during the reales of the cc privy so I might just go for the 2021 peace.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2021 11:59PM

@markelman1125 said:
    Not sure, I just spent all my money on a real Carson Morgan, and I will be hiking in Utah during the reales of the cc privy so I might just go for the 2021 peace.

Post a pic of your CC Morgan :+1:

My only real CC Morgan was overstruck in 2020 for the CC Mint Sesquicentennial. An image of the CC Mint Building is struck over the eagle.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2021 11:51PM

@Zoins said:

@markelman1125 said:

It’s so lustrous 🤩🤩
    I am hoping to build a set of these in the future

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 of each

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neither!

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

None. Overpriced.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recent completed presales are going for $155-$185..... :#

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will get the CC privy Morgan - or at least try to get one. Since I built the series, it will be nice to add this one. Not sure about the Peace dollar.... Thinking about it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven’t decided. I’ve gone back and forth on one of each or just the peace dollar. I can’t quite get over the feeling that the Morgans will look wrong due to the finish and look. But I secretly expect the peace to look right and the burnished finish to work well given the satin luster is rather common on peace dollars.

• Options
    MASSU2MASSU2 Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭

In order for me to consider my sets complete I need 1 Peace and 1 Morgan for my Dansco Date album.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

None for me thanks. I don't understand the CC thing; there were no CC minted coins in 1921 so adding this 'Privy Mark' makes it like those Quarters. IMHO.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlexinPA said:
    None for me thanks. I don't understand the CC thing; there were no CC minted coins in 1921 so adding this 'Privy Mark' makes it like those Quarters. IMHO.

It’s a tribute of a tribute. The 2021 coins themselves are tributes and the privy is a tribute. What is surprising to me is they decided not to do a D or S peace.

• Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Which ever ones I am able to get.

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    LGTheCoinAnalystLGTheCoinAnalyst Posts: 48 ✭✭✭

Check back later today on CoinWeek to see some additional info, I received from the Mint on the stackable issue that will be added to the part of the article that quotes the Chief Engraver.

• Options

the 2021 peace reverse as depicted on the catalog web page

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

the 1921 peace with 4 rays under "ONE"

• Options

@Zoins said:

@markelman1125 said:

My only real CC Morgan was overstruck in 2020 for the CC Mint Sesquicentennial. An image of the CC Mint Building is struck over the eagle.

@Zion’s I also have an original 1921 high relief peace. Got all the originals for the modern clones

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

All.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2021 9:58AM

I'm still trying to cherrypick a 1921 Morgan VAM-44, infrequently reeded edge with the D2 reverse. Picking a 1921 Peace VAM-3 (Ray Through L) would be cool also. OH! You meant 2021. None for me thanks.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll most likely be a game time decision. I’ve been on the fence with these since I heard about them.

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    the 2021 peace reverse as depicted on the catalog web page

They're probably using the 1922-1935 version of the Peace Dollar for the reverse.

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2021 3:18AM

I support having a multiple year Morgan and Peace Dollar program. We aren't getting any proof Morgan dollars this year, silver dollars are VERY popular, and we should allow collectors to obtain nice proof examples of Morgan Dollars w/ cameo contrast without having to spend an arm and a leg buying them from Laura Sperber. Most silver dollar collectors cannot afford the outlay required to buy proof Morgan Dollars.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven’t bought a mint issue in a few years now but I think this one is going to break that trend.
    Likely two of each.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will try my best to get one of each.

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

Probably 4 or 5 peace dollars and 1 or 2 philly morgans, IF i can get them from the mint, if they sell out before i can order, then none.

• Options
    YoloBagelsYoloBagels Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

Will try to get two morgans and two piece.

If I can get them on the aftermarket or find someone selling a damaged one for a lot cheaper, I will use those as pocket pieces.

• Options
    DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

No real interest here. I have all the originals from1921.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will buy several of each coin if I can get them.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DoubleDime said:
    No real interest here. I have all the originals from1921.

I too have all 1921's, why are you not interested in the 100 year anniversary? Two of the greatest US silver dollars minted at today's standards, I myself can't wait...

• Options
    DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Today's standards are not the same as in 1921. You have a silver finest difference to start with. Some will say that the 1921 coins really didn't circulate but they were meant to be. These coins are strictly collector commemoratives.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

My intention is to buy a few of each.

Plenty to go around for everyone....right?

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2021 7:14AM

The Mint says they will begin to ship in October.
    Does that mean they'll be for sale on TV in September... >:)

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might buy a Peace Dollar, if they are fully struck 1921 High Relief style.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file