Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Terrible service from the U.S. Mint

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

On April 27, I received an email that said that my order for a 2021 silver Proof set had been shipped. There was an order number given. When I pressed it, my computer came back with a mostly blank page that said “Internal Error. The server cannot respond this request”. Okay I have had stuff “on the cart” before that had not gone to post office.

It is now May 5. I am getting the same message. My credit card has been billed. I tried to call the U.S. mint, but their message is, “You will have to wait more than 15 minutes for a representative.”

They have a live chat system. I wrote a message for that. After a few minutes I get, “There are no operators available. Good bye.”
If a private sector company acted like this, they would go out of business for poor service. Since the mint has a monopoly, they can get away with it.

The current Mint Director, who is responsible for this should be fired. I have already said that he is “collector hostile” when it comes to collector relations. The only people he cares about are dealers who get sweetheart deals so that they can control the market and make money.

I missed my chance to take a survey during one of my mint log-ins. They won’t listen, but at least I could have vented my frustrations with them.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is a private company doing this.

it is a government contractor. when contracts come up for review, they can already be facing a competitive bid.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the issue? The website shows an error message?

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why wouldn't the email notification have contained a tracking number? That's the root of the problem, IMO.

• Options

@BryceM said:
    Vote with your feet. Ultimately, it's the only thing most businesses (and businesses masquerading as governmental agencies) listen to.

Customer service across the board has taken a tremendous hit from COVID. Likely, some of it isn't coming back.

I would love to "vote with my feet." All I want is a Proof set in the mint packaging. Most dealers don't sell it because there is no money in it for them.

Maybe the message is I should stop buying U.S. coins entirely. Between CAC and the U.S. Mint service, U.S. coins are not fun any more.

I just got through to them. They don't know what is going on. I canceled the back order for the $800 commemorative coin set. If they can't deliver this and won't do anything for two weeks, it's time to move on.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@GoldenEgg said:
    What is the issue? The website shows an error message?

Every time I click on the order number, which dates from April 27, I get the message "Internal Error."

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Textbook federal government.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2021 1:24PM

@CoinJunkie said:
    Why wouldn't the email notification have contained a tracking number? That's the root of the problem, IMO.

It does have an order number, but the link does not work. The Mint told me there is tracking from the U.S. Post Office, but I have yet to receive any message from the post office. Conclusion: the item has not been shipped and never got into the post office system.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds about right. ;)

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL! Why do you let CAC get under your skin? I don't! If I like a coin I don't give a flying F**K if JA likes it or not! To be quite honest, some of the coins he does like I wouldn't even consider for my collection!

@BillJones said:

@BryceM said:
    Vote with your feet. Ultimately, it's the only thing most businesses (and businesses masquerading as governmental agencies) listen to.

Customer service across the board has taken a tremendous hit from COVID. Likely, some of it isn't coming back.

I would love to "vote with my feet." All I want is a Proof set in the mint packaging. Most dealers don't sell it because there is no money in it for them.

Maybe the message is I should stop buying U.S. coins entirely. Between CAC and the U.S. Mint service, U.S. coins are not fun any more.

I just got through to them. They don't know what is going on. I canceled the back order for the $800 commemorative coin set. If they can't deliver this and won't do anything for two weeks, it's time to move on.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2021 2:37PM

LOL! Why do you let CAC get under your skin? I don't! If I like a coin I don't give a flying F**K if JA likes it or not! To be quite honest, some of the coins he does like I wouldn't even consider for my collection!

I wish I could say that, but I have a very large collection, and I feel like the whole thing has been invalidated. When it comes time to sell, the auction house and I will discuss the issue. Otherwise there is no reason to go forward when all of the expensive coins you buy have to be double certified by PCGS and CAC. The NGC - CAC combination does not count.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2021 1:40PM

I don't. Good coins speak for themselves.

PS, do you think I'm going to spend 5 figures to have my back patted telling me my coins are OK. Not a chance in H*ll. Do I think CAC coins sell for more? Yes in some instances. Do I think the same coin would sell for less without the intruding green bean...yes, if an insecure collector is vying for the coin. Do I think my collection will bring enough to justify spending the 5 figures to get the 1 man's opinion of my coins. ABSOLUTELY NOT!

@BillJones said:

I wish I could say that, but I have a very large collection, and I feel like the whole thing has been invalidated.

• Options

Do I think my collection will bring enough to justify spending the 5 figures to get the 1 man's opinion of my coins. ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Good for you! I too would need to spend a fortune on CAC certification and shipping. I have made the decision to hold what I have, but not buy any more. I love my collection, but I hate the way the market is.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2021 1:45PM

@BillJones said:

@CoinJunkie said:

It does have an order number, but the link does not work. The Mint told me there is tracking from the U.S. Post Office, but I have yet to receive any message from the post office. Conclusion: the item has not been shipped and never got into the post office system.

the post office will not notify you of shipping.

if the item has shipped you will receive an email with this Subject Line:
    Your U.S. Mint order has shipped!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just think of what it is going to be like for people who order the 2021 Morgan and Peace Dollars.

"We are sorry, but all representative are busy now. Wait time is 3 days, 7 hours and 23 minutes. Thank you for your patience." ;)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

if the item has shipped you will receive an email with this Subject Line:

Your U.S. Mint order has shipped!

I got that message from the mint on April 27, and that was the end. I have a dead order number that will not link.

• Options

• Options

@291fifth said:
    Just think of what it is going to be like for people who order the 2021 Morgan and Peace Dollars.

"We are sorry, but all representative are busy now. Wait time is 3 days, 7 hours and 23 minutes. Thank you for your patience." ;)

Yes, I guess that coin is off the table for me now.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2021 1:51PM

@MsMorrisine said:

I have clicked on that area. It's dead.

The message is "Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item"

• Options

The message is "Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item"

That is something I just went through. I was pounding the table to the 1-800 people that shipping never shipped it.
    "Contact the shipping department and get it out the door"

It was for the last P-puck and it went sold out. I was a bit panicked as I can get sometimes.

I have had and others have posted about ebay shipments that don't show tracking past label created, then "poof" it get scanned in Walla Walla.

What happened to my order that was "Awaiting Item" ?

It got exactly 0.00 scans except from my local PO the day it was delivered. Not even from my regional sort facility!

So, while it is an abnormal situation, and we really aren't totally sure the PO has it, It is still quite possible the PO has it.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@CoinJunkie said:

From any competent entity, a notification of shipment will contain a link to tracking info on the carrier's web site. At the very least a tracking number should have been provided so that you could look it up manually. Making you click on an order # to access tracking info is a totally unnecessary intermediate step.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted with my feet years ago. I hate the arrogant US Mint who only pretends to be customer friendly.

They have zero products I have any interest in ordering. If a miracle occurs and I actually might want some of their carp, I will simply get it from a dealer.

I feel much better with one less coin merchant to follow, they will never learn.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    edited May 5, 2021 2:39PM

The mint has told me to wait until May 11. Then they will re-ship or do a refund.

I had a bad experience with them in 1983-4 with the Los Angeles Olympics $10 gold piece. I sent them a check and didn't get the gold coin. Finally after many calls, I got to a higher up who got the situation fixed, but I had to show them the canceled check. The excuse was that they had farmed the ordering and shipping function out to a private firm that totally dropped the ball on many orders, not just mine.

• Options

@Cameonut said:
    I voted with my feet years ago. I hate the arrogant US Mint who only pretends to be customer friendly.

They have zero products I have any interest in ordering. If a miracle occurs and I actually might want some of their carp, I will simply get it from a dealer.

I feel much better with one less coin merchant to follow, they will never learn.

Yes, I'll have to go to my local dealer from now on, but he wants to sell out and retire. I don't have anybody else in the area if he quits.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:

It usually does

• Options

The tracking number says the set was never shipped.

• Options

I went back and forth with the 1-800 people.

Me: Tracking says they DON’T HAVE IT
    Them: we have to wait 2 weeks for it to arrive.

Huh? Rinse, repeat.

Finally one of the got a clue and told me sometimes it ships and the tracking number doesn’t show it

That made me remember the eBay stories here.

Two days later - local po scans and then delivers. Before that it was a black hole.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:

I t might have become worse during COVID but I see it as a longer term trend.

It's getting harder to impossible to talk to a person when needed to resolve anything, all in the name of self-service where the customer gets to do something a provider did in the past and is supposed to love it.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll count myself lucky to have never had this issue.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    The tracking number says the set was never shipped.

OK, sorry for the misunderstanding. I interpreted your post to mean you didn't have tracking info.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

Do I think my collection will bring enough to justify spending the 5 figures to get the 1 man's opinion of my coins. ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Good for you! I too would need to spend a fortune on CAC certification and shipping. I have made the decision to hold what I have, but not buy any more. I love my collection, but I hate the way the market is.

I am not a fan of stickers either.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2021 5:07PM
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:

I did.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dave99B said:
    Textbook federal government.

Dave

No contractor, read above email that points that out.......

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had a couple of issues with the Mint's ordering process. Both minor, and both resolved in a positive manner. I do not order much from them anymore. Long since stopped with the mint and proof sets... Now just the occasional special issue (i.e. WWII privy mark, upcoming CC Morgan) will lure me into the process. It is time the government realizes that there is a segment of the Mint that is a business, and it needs to be run as such. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

A contractor hired by the government is the government’s responsibility. That’s just how it works.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2021 3:00PM

@BillJones said:

I wish I could say that, but I have a very large collection, and I feel like the whole thing has been invalidated. When it comes time to sell, the auction house and I will discuss the issue. Otherwise there is no reason to go forward when all of the expensive coins you buy have to be double certified by PCGS and CAC. The NGC - CAC combination does not count.

If your coins have not yet been to CAC, I dont know how you can be so distressed about how they will impact you. If your eye is as good as you believe it to be , you may be in store for a huge windfall if a majority sticker. As far as the cost to get CAC to review them, many auction houses will pick up the cost for you.

• Options

have the coins arrived yet?

• Options
    edited May 7, 2021 7:36PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    have the coins arrived yet?

No. I went to the post office today and the set was not there. The order number in the “You set has been shipped!” still goes nowhere. The post office indicates that the set has not been shipped. Nothing has changed. Nothing can be done until May 11. How can you post an order number that leads to nowhere? Go ask the government bureaucrats.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@billjones saw you posted 'Lol" to my last post stating that if your coins had not yet been to CAC you may end up getting a windfall when you eventually sell your coins if they sticker (could be a signficant amount as spreads for CAC coins vs non CAC coins continue to grow). Not sure why that is funny but I wish you good luck when that time comes to sell.

• Options

I got a message this morning that the post office picked my package at 4 AM, May 9. That means that it sat in limbo for 12 or 13 days "on the cart" before it was mailed. The expected delivery is Wednesday.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file