Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

main event: 51 mantle 8s

blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

few months ago heritage and goldin both had 51 mantle 8s on the auction block. both ended at $615k. juice included, i think.

anyways, they are back at it for the thrilla in maynilla.

vs

my money is literally on heritage this go around. not sure either will crack the $615k mark though. with that being said and in the spirit of competition, lets make a contest out of it.

heritages goes into extended bidding thursday night. whoever is closest to the final price (pre-juice w/o going over) will win a raw 58 mac boy decal. gonna go cut-throat style, so you can go back and edit your bid at anytime up until 11:00est on thursday night. will insert a copy of the actual mantle decal tomorrow

Comments

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are they the same exact PSA 8’s or two new examples in an 8.

• Options

the previous 8 at goldin had a horrible back stain. so no there. and i know the 8 currently at heritage was physically impossible to have been at either. only scenario (wo looking) is that the previous heritage one is now at goldin.

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

$514k

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Heritage 8 is way nicer; I can't imagine shelling out half a million for a card as tilted as the Goldin 8. In terms of hammers, on the merits I'd say Heritage 600k and Goldin 500k as someone will buy the flip. But I suppose the merits kind of go out the window in a world where investors in an AH have bid on and won cards in the AH for then-record prices. So perhaps Goldin winds up higher-- albeit with an asterisk ;)

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

525K is my guess

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

the diamond cut on the bottom example would drive me nuts.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭

$577K

• Options

@craig44 said:

This ^

These auctions could be interesting - high or low. Mantle stuff took off after the recent high rookie sale but have come back down to earth. Jordan stuff has tanked since the two Goldin “sales” at $738k each. Don’t buy those for a second for several reasons, and when one of your investors in your company pays an absurd record price for a Jordan rookie which sets off explosive sales only to be followed by a huge tanking in prices a month or two later call me skeptical.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say they both beat the previous record. Will say $625.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2021 6:30AM

@KendallCat said:

@craig44 said:

This ^

These auctions could be interesting - high or low. Mantle stuff took off after the recent high rookie sale but have come back down to earth. Jordan stuff has tanked since the two Goldin “sales” at $738k each. Don’t buy those for a second for several reasons, and when one of your investors in your company pays an absurd record price for a Jordan rookie which sets off explosive sales only to be followed by a huge tanking in prices a month or two later call me skeptical.

have you seen what that 56 mantle 9 is doing in the heritage auction? amazing example. might be the first example to break the 100K mark. of course, i am biased.

and the 51 at goldin, is it diamond cut or just severe tilt. ive always had a hard time distinguishing between the two.

• Options

that winning 56-57 mac boy decal:

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@KendallCat said:

@craig44 said:

and the 51 at goldin, is it diamond cut or just severe tilt. ive always had a hard time distinguishing between the two.

I think this one is a little of each. The borders on the two short edges look normal, so it must be diamond cut to some extent.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

$750 K

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    $750 K

going big! i like it!

• Options

@blurryface said:

$750 K

going big! i like it!

I’d like to have ‘and the over’ but I guess I’ll have to watch until 11pm.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am guessing 659K.

Thanks for the chance Blurry.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Me thinks $1 mil. will get the Blurry 8 out of hiding and onto the block :wink:

I'm going with $575k. Vintage market is softening just a tad

• Options
    edited May 5, 2021 5:00PM

@emar said:

too late! mines the heritage one 😉

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

823K strong...

• Options

@blurryface said:

@emar said:

Holy sheet batman!
    Good luck man! Certainly one of the finer Mick rookies out there.
    The final hours should be interesting.

• Options

Beautiful card. Hope you break records.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2021 7:23PM

@emar said:

@blurryface said:

@emar said:

Holy sheet batman!
    Good luck man! Certainly one of the finer Mick rookies out there.
    The final hours should be interesting.

thank you, thank you. more like nerve racking though! 😉

got quite a few things in this one but the 56 mantle 9 came outta the gate firing on all cylinders. that ones already a record holder as it stands, i think. i'm astonished at that one.

• Options
    dalstar66dalstar66 Posts: 51 ✭✭

Although I think the winning bid will land under my guess I'm going to go with my daughters birthday for good luck. I'll guess 717k will be the winning bid. Thank you for the contest.

Collecting Vintage Football - Rc's

1959 Topps Football need help finishing
  • Options
    gorilla glue 4gorilla glue 4 Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

8 fitty

How much did it sale for is one of the funniest and most ignorant things I've ever heard.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2021 8:49PM

@gorilla glue 4 said:
    8 fitty

remember, cut-throat rules are on and changeable til this time tomorrow night!

8 fitty-one, bob!

• Options
    edited May 5, 2021 9:15PM

@blurryface said:

@KendallCat said:

@craig44 said:

This ^

have you seen what that 56 mantle 9 is doing in the heritage auction? amazing example. might be the first example to break the 100K mark. of course, i am biased.

I might be a little biased towards Mantle, and a few people on here know I have a few of his cards - especially 56’s 😉

For the record I would not touch either one of them, but gun to my head I would take the older label - the one ending in 160 has some things that would keep me from ever spending $80k+ on it. There are 8/8.5’s that look much better IMO.

• Options

@KendallCat said:

@blurryface said:

@KendallCat said:

@craig44 said:

This ^

I might be a little biased towards Mantle, and a few people on here know I have a few of his cards - especially 56’s 😉

For the record I would not touch either one of them, but gun to my head I would take the older label - the one ending in 160 has some things that would keep me from ever spending $80k+ on it. There are 8/8.5’s that look much better IMO.

alrighty then. pretty fond of the ‘56 myself. i still proudly claim it.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@emar said:

I see a Hellcat in your future! >:)

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

Wait - that card is yours and all we get is a Mac Boy Decal?

😂

@blurryface

I hope this thing explodes with activity now. That’s awesome.

Best of luck, good sir!

• Options

😂

@blurryface

Best of luck, good sir!

along w the 56 aaron & mantle 9s (-160 cert)

a few other featured items too!

• Options

@blurryface said:

😂

@blurryface

Best of luck, good sir!

along w the 56 aaron & mantle 9s (-160 cert)

a few other featured items too!

😳

YOU are getting me that bigger table.

• Options

how about just another pair of asics? 😉

• Options

@blurryface said:

Asics? What am I, Rockefeller?

New Balance, bro.

(Unless Costco switched to asics)

• Options

@blurryface said:

Asics? What am I, Rockefeller?

New Balance, bro.

(Unless Costco switched to asics)

i had you pegged for an asics, man!

• Options

COSTCO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

• Options

cmon now.

if i take you to costco, then i'll have to splurge on a sausage dog and pizza.

i was born at night, it just wasn't last night,

• Options

@blurryface

Stop big timing me, man!

Hot dog + soda = $1.50

And I don’t get it every time.

Just trying to entertain you; I hacked your webcam...

...take it easy on the floorboards.

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Good luck, Blurry. Hope the final price lands somewhere between "Yes!!" and "OMG THEY COMPLETELY SPAZZED OUT!!"

• Options

I have only owned one Bowman card my entire life and it was the 51 Mantle. It was a beautiful card with great color and the focus and registration were very strong. Kept it a couple of years until I abandoned my Mantle run - had 1951-60 done but did have any interest in doing the 60’s. In hindsight I should have held on to this one.

• Options

@KendallCat said:
    I have only owned one Bowman card my entire life and it was the 51 Mantle. It was a beautiful card with great color and the focus and registration were very strong. Kept it a couple of years until I abandoned my Mantle run - had 1951-60 done but did have any interest in doing the 60’s. In hindsight I should have held on to this one.

For the record I would not touch that one, but gun to my head I would guess I'd have to - the cert ends in -687 and has some things that would keep me from ever spending $X amount of money on it. There so many 3/3.5’s that look much better IMO. 😉

• Options

Who won?

• Options
    edited May 7, 2021 5:06AM

i think everyone was over, considering it was pre-juice. but i think oaksey was the closest. i gotta be honest, from day one i thought the initial and tying $615k seemed squirrelly. esp the goldin one w the stained back. i'll even go out to venture that the goldin one this go around goes for more than mine ended for. from my personal convos with ken, others detailed experiences, and several other things in his past, he just exudes the definition of a snake oil salesman. the horror stories are definitely there.

pretty much why i went in w the original post saying i doubt it gets to those marks. anyone that has played in these levels will tell you there's a whole new level to nefarious activities to either beef up or get prices on the book that appear to be legitimate. think '16 clemente, koufax & rose run ups.

anyways, with all that being said and esp w getting 8% of the juice coupled w/ with what the '56 mantle & aaron did/doing with a few other big'uns that far exceeded their estimates and i can't complain one freaking bit.

it's also gratifying knowing that there's an honest & unshilled bench mark for the mantle 8 on the books now.

"i gotta say it was a good day"

eta: goldin's psa 8 for $615k? which just so happened to magically tie the heritage one from the week before? right when he's trying to establish himself as the premier auction house garnering the highest prices. let's not even get into the "realized" jordan prices he claims he sold. w/ one of those record breakers to a financier (timbaland to be exact) in his company? all sounds legit.
    but it's right there logged at vcp.

• Options

@blurryface

Right on and ride on, brother.

Tremendous news and delighted for you

• Options

@blurryface

not sure if anyone remembers, but similar scenario happened last month w/ the opc gretzky 9 sale. everyone kinda thought i was way off base w what appeared to be a low number. same concept here. vcp is so much easier to manipulate w only a few documented sales vs something like the '89 griffey 10 that's traded daily.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@blurryface

not sure if anyone remembers, but I’m going for my morning swim...

Enjoy the waters...

• Options

if no one contests @OAKESY25 win, please pm me your addy.

• Options
    edited May 7, 2021 6:20AM

I would still rather have the Rookie than the ‘52. Wish your price was stronger. Thanks for the info on Golden. Will add them to my avoid list.

In the levels I play in - have continued to get more and more through private sales and avoid the middle men.

Congrats Oakley25 on the win.

Blurry hope you put the funds to something that means more to you than those cards did. I am sure you will. Congrats on the sales.

• Options

Congrats on the strong sale Blurry!
    Cards are definitely cooling off. Modern more so than vintage.
    You might have timed it pretty well.
    Of course, hindsight will always be 20/20 👍