Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

COAC 2021 — Victor D. Brenner Sesquicentennial — ANS Coinage of the Americas Conference

JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi All,
The American Numismatic Society (ANS) is relaunching the Coinage of the Americas Conference (COAC) this year! COACs were staples of the numismatic community from the early 1980s through 2009, when the last one was held. They consist of a multi-day academic conference of sorts, followed by an edited publication of selected papers. This September, we will hold the first COAC in a dozen years to commemorate the life and works of Victor David Brenner for the 150th anniversary of his birth. I encourage every one of you to read the following and submit a proposal by July 1, 2021.

Click here for the COAC 2021 Call for Papers!

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
American Numismatic Society
New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JesseKraft this is a great idea!

However, the topic seems a bit limiting. Maybe someone like CC Wright might have been more diverse, but a two-day conference on VD Brenner seems like too much.

Certainly the previous topics, like the copper coinage or silver dollars of the US, or tokens of Canada, etc. were far broader.

Let’s hope I am proven wrong and many great papers are presented.

• Options

@pruebas said:
    @JesseKraft this is a great idea!

However, the topic seems a bit limiting. Maybe someone like CC Wright might have been more diverse, but a two-day conference on VD Brenner seems like too much.

Certainly the previous topics, like the copper coinage or silver dollars of the US, or tokens of Canada, etc. were far broader.

Let’s hope I am proven wrong and many great papers are presented.

I agree that it might seem like a kind of odd topic for a COAC. A Brenner conference was already a part of series of programs the ANS was putting together for VDB's 150th. I was independently reviving the COAC series and it was a colleague with more seniority than I who thought of combining the two. We have one day of speakers filled so far (and contact with an ex-forum member who specializes in this period—whose expulsion from the platform still makes the blood of some members boil—and is putting together a proposal). I think it will be a good time.

Either way, expect COACs every two years once again, with a broad range of topics.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a lot about Brenner that the average collector does not know about, and it might be surprising to some how broad and numerous his work was. There is much more beyond the Lincoln cent! Sounds like a great event!

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am definitely looking forward to a revived COAC and plan to participate as best I can.

Thank you for reviving this useful and informative conference.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

really enjoyed delving down into the old COAC.

some MAJOR articles, information and more.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW... That is a great medal... I actually saw one at a coin show in the PNW when I lived there... got to hold it, and was impressed with the detail and high relief of the players. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    I love Brenner's medals.
    And this is my favorite:

All the little football players are extremely high relief with some serious violence of action!

That is a wonderful medal. It could make a great talk at then ANS event!

I have a VDB lead die trial for a running event and a rectangular plaster model of a piece that I can’t quite place now.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @DCW... That is a great medal... I actually saw one at a coin show in the PNW when I lived there... got to hold it, and was impressed with the detail and high relief of the players. Cheers, RickO

I wonder if it was this very piece. I don't think I've seen another. Very early Brenner piece, and it must be pretty rare

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

It also came in a plaquette form in silver.
    This specific example was owned by Brenner and eventually made its way to his nephew-in-law, David Lit, who donated about 700 of Brenner's possessions to the ANS in 1987. The ANS has a few round specimens, including one that Brenner himself donated in 1894—the same year the piece was made and the same year he became a member of the Society. That one is currently being photographed in preparation for this year's festivities.
    1894 Football plaquette. ANS.1987.147.9

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    New York City

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JesseKraft
    That is incredible! I love the different reverse on the plaquette. And it appears that the obverse has some background differences as well. Would love to someday get my hands on one of those. The football medal by Brenner has always kind of spoken to me

Thanks for the additional info

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is good to see that the COAC conference is returning. I miss adding the books that resulted from it to my library.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

The round in silver. This piece was donated to the ANS by Brenner in 1894. I just love the color.
    ANS.1894.59.2

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    New York City

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2021 10:11PM

@JesseKraft said:
    The round in silver. This piece was donated to the ANS by Brenner in 1894. I just love the color.

Awesome! It's great that he was a member and donated that himself. What does the "FEO" mean in "V.D.B. FEO"?

• Options
    edited May 6, 2021 10:35PM

@Zoins said:

@JesseKraft said:

Awesome! It's great that he was a member and donated that himself. What does the "FEO" mean in "V.D.B. FEO"?

I agree. He even had a part in our name change. From 1858 until 1907, the ANS was the American Numismatic and Archaeological Society. Brenner and 8 others lobbied to remove "and Archaeological" from the name.

FEC. for FECIT

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    New York City

• Options

Last day for submissions!
    (though I'm not a stickler and will accept those that are slightly late)
    You may even send me a message here if you are interested.
    Either way, I hope to see you at the 2021 COAC for the 150th of VDB.
    Many great topics already lined up!

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    New York City

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file