Home U.S. Coin Forum

(grade summary) Half’s stored for over 50 years, what is the grade?

PppPpp Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 11, 2022 11:10AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Today I acquired many uncirculated rolls of dimes, quarters and half’s that have been stored away for over 50 years.

These are representative pictures of 1955 Franklin half’s and 1942, 1943, and 1946d walking liberty half’s.
What grade do you think the coins are based on these pictures?
Are any of the franklins fbls?

Comments

• JBNJBN Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your Walking Liberty half dollars look really nice and lustrous with clear fields. The strike on your 46-D is above average. I would think you would acquire at least a 65 grade on your examples.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are nice.

• robbylu52robbylu52 Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

Hi. Are you interested in selling. I love buying walking liberty halfs

How much would you want for a Walker roll?

Hi. Are you interested in selling. I love buying walking liberty halfs

I never owned an original roll of Walkers. Would love to buy one.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1942-50c/6614

Coinfacts for the 1942 half - lots of photos

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who is Half?

thefinn
  • PppPpp Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭

Robbylu52 I am not planning to sell any of the rolls but I may sell some individual coins in the future. I Thank you for the interest.
    I will posting better pictures and based on comments I may send some in to get graded.

Sorry, about the picture quality when I started this post. I have attached other pictures and hope these are good enough for some comments on grade and if any variety is seen. Unfortunately, when I downloaded the pictures in order they don’t appear that way, not sure why that happened.

Note, I have used pcgs photos and ngc variety sites as reference but I think I will get a better result asking people in this forum. I find many times especially on pcgs the differences between coins of the same grade are confusing especially when looking at things like fbls or fbs.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice luster on those WLH's.... pictures have too much glare for grading, but they 'look' like they would grade 64/65 area....Cheers, RickO

Think 1942 could even grade ms66. Would be interested in that particular coin. Or the 1943. Would like to own a coin from a real original roll

My email is palatindiamond@aol.com if you want to sell one

• JimsokayJimsokay Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

The walkers are gorgeous!

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice ones!

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ppp said:
    FYI
    Grades are finally in from pcgs:
    1949s ms64
    1955fbl ms65
    1942 ms66
    1943 ms64
    1946d ms62

Nice Grades.
    Are you going to try to CAC them?
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

No, I wasn’t planning to send them in for cac. I don’t think for these coins it would be worth the expense.

I did think these coins were going to grade a minimum 65. Considering I was only right 2 out of 5 I will need another set of eyes to help pick out the best coins to send in.

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2021 8:49AM

Cool stuff, I love the feel of old silver half’s by the roll.

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1942 is an MS 66, the 1955 is an MS 64, the 1943 is an MS 65 and the 1946 D looks to be MS 63 at best. They are all desirable as bright white coins.
    An economy submission might be in order, the learning experience won't be too expensive.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ppp 1942 unc damage (I can use help in this one, I just don’t see the damage)

The only thing I see that could cause such a grade, would be if they feel there is counting wheel damage on the obverse left rim.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Wow, jesbroken you are good.
    I just received the coin today.
    I never heard of wheel mark damage as it states on the label.
    What a bummer this might have been my ms 67 or 68 if it straight grade. 🙂

• Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2021 3:36PM

Does anybody know what wheel damage means? Never heard the term.

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is damage from a counting wheel, these can be VERY hard to spot. look for a polished spot in the devices as they usually get hung up on the higher parts of the coin.

I have a lot of buffaloes come back with counting wheel damage, usually on the cape of the buffalo or top part of the hair on the obverse.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

@clarkbar04 said:
    It is damage from a counting wheel, these can be VERY hard to spot. look for a polished spot in the devices as they usually get hung up on the higher parts of the coin.

I have a lot of buffaloes come back with counting wheel damage, usually on the cape of the buffalo or top part of the hair on the obverse.

So is a wheel mark automatic Unc Details or does it depend on the size and severity of the wheel mark. If they are sometimes very hard to spot isn’t this another reason to use CAC in case the wheel mark escapes the notice of tpg on a rare occasion.
    Can you post a photo of a wheel mark so I can know what to look for?

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joey29 said:

So is a wheel mark automatic Unc Details or does it depend on the size and severity of the wheel mark. If they are sometimes very hard to spot isn’t this another reason to use CAC in case the wheel mark escapes the notice of tpg on a rare occasion.
    Can you post a photo of a wheel mark so I can know what to look for?

It will every time. The only one I’ve ever seen on a straight graded coin was an ngc graded standing liberty quarter, which obliterated about 1/4 of the upper obverse through “liberty” and libertys head.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2021 8:32AM

I'm editing my comment, I watched a video on what "wheel damage" looks like. It would most likely appear on the higher points of the coin and look like a series of tight hairlines all going in the same direction. They can only be seen when tilted in the light. Very obvious if you know what to look for. I wonder if the 42 P in question has these hair lines...

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a nice bunch of lusterbombs.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

thebigeng I tried titling under light and just hard for me to see. Not sure if what I see as lines on the obverse are from shadow s because I then looked at a 1942 ms66 and it also had some of the same lines.
    This has been a good learning experience, thank you all for the comments.

1942 genuine wheel mark-unc detail

1942 ms66

I said in other posts I would give an summary update on the grades I received to date for the wlh sent into pcgs.

1942: 2-ms66, 2-ms65, 1-unc details wheel marked
    1943: 1-ms66+, 2-ms66, 1-ms64, 1-unc details cleaned (this grade really puzzles me)
    1946d: 2-ms66, 1-ms65, 1-ms62

I have 1-1943, 2-1942, and 2-1946d still in grading. I still have many raw coins from the original lot left and I do not plan on sending any more in for grading.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

for anyone curious.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just gorgeous looking Walkers! The "wheel mark" 42 is stunning whatever label they put on it.
    I'm curious how the Franklins did at PCGS...

Meltdown: I didn't send any other franklins in for grading.

Now I have the opportunity from the same source to pick up rolls of 1954-1960 Roosevelt dimes, 1954-1959 quarters, and 1964 half’s all with mint marks too. If I get these I don’t see the value in grading any of them.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

for anyone curious.

After scouring the TruView, the only area looking suspect to me is the top of the T in LIBERTY on obverse.

I've only ran across Buffs, Jeffs and Walkers with this phenomenon, at least only ones that I have sent in or purchased.
    Here's a gorgeous Jeff with the damage.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    After scouring the TruView, the only area looking suspect to me is the top of the T in LIBERTY on obverse.

the sun took a hit and the spot above F D in half dollar looks like a major hit but after comping a couple CF images, that is just part of the design. i checked the other 42s in the order in case coins were accidentally switched or certs but nothing stands out. probably have to have it in-hand. rarely is that kind of damage not apparent somehow, even in various images with various lighting.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

The only thing I see on the T is mechanical doubling. Possibly what I first thought to be light streak above the L and I may be the problem area, not sure. I believe this one might deserve another chance.
    Jim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file