Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bought a couple Saints recently - GTG grades revealed - Compugrade MS63.5, MS63.6!

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 1, 2021 5:46AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Thought this would be a fun way to unveil these beauties! :+1: Have been looking for a Saint in these holders for years.

Older holders - will post the answers tomorrow PM. Have fun! :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 63s super. I have always wanted a no-motto

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick ups!
    I’ll take a stab at it.

Even though there appears to be a dash of rub on the high points, I’m going to venture to guess:
    The sweet No motto! At a 64

And, the 1924 at 65 or 66

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

Nice coins! What kind of old holders are we talking about here? ;)

65 CAC, 66 no-CAC.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

62, 64

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 and 66

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

I am jealous

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man when you say ‘old holder’ it throws a wrench in the guesstimates process .....

Obviously the ‘08 has some hits which you’d think would put it in 62/63 territory .... yet I’ve seen worse in 64 slabs for sure, and even 65 slabs (in fact a few weeks back at Bellevue RC’s Alderwood location they had a fatty NGC slabbed 65 Saint that had super luster but definitely was dinged up at least to the degree of your ‘08 .... so how about 62-65?

Then the ‘24 looks uber gem+ ...... just assign whatever number you’d like to that description and that’s my guess.

As you can see, I like to be very specific with my guesses. 🍺

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

64, 65

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

64/66

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know but their nice!

• Options
    DscoinDscoin Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭

NM 65
    24 is a 66

Successful transactions with: Lakesammman, jimineez1, Flackthat, PerryHall, bidask, bccox, TwistedArrow1962, free_spirit, alexerca, scooter25, FHC, tnspro, mcarney1173, moursund, and SurfinxHI (6 times)

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

64/65.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

63,65?

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a pair of 65s. Very nice. I especially love the NM.

thefinn
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 / 66

And CAC 65 and 66. Very nice coins,,,,,,,,but do you not buy only CAC coins?

OINK

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take a stab, although admittedly Saints are not my forte

No Motto is a great looking coin, but the scrapes through the wings and ticky obverse lead me towards 63, shot 64 (I don't think the obverse mushiness is wear)

With Motto is 65 shot 66

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 / 66

• Options
    willywilly Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭✭

62, 65+ both cac

• Options

‘08 - 62+ CAC
    ‘24 - 64

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

As you see, I do not grade gold well, that is why I do not own any, or very little. I see what I believe to be wear on Liberty's left thigh and right knee as well as her breast area and fingers on her right hand. I would say AU58 on the 08 and MS64 on the 24. Just an opinion.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

63, 65.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet!

Old holders?
    I'm thinking they got hit with 61 and 63?
    Deserve higher, obviously....just going with what old holders may have done...

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice ones! 64/64

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a couple of nice 64's to me. Congrats!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say 63 on the first and 64 on the second..... Nice gold coins. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

You found two NGC black or white label slabs?

Old grading

1908 W/M 60 today would be higher but cannot discern from photo as to possible diminshed luster
    1924 64 today would be a 65

The long bag mark on the reverse sun of the 1924 is what holds back the 1924 from being a 66.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

Interesting guesses so far - both are lustrous in hand, especially the NM.

Big pictures have a way of making mountains out of mole hills. :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

How old?

Based on the disclosure combined with the images, I think the TP Graders would likely have been at 58 on the 1908 and 63 on the 1924. Not writing that I agree... just predicting what was done 25-30 yrs ago

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Grades revealed in the OP.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely undergraded by today's standards.

thefinn
  • Options

@Lakesammman PM with address sent for my winnings. Very generous giveaway

• Options

Crypto - had there been a prize offered, YOU would have won it! :D

• Options

Wow!

Never saw Compugrade with a $20 gold Double Eagle! A homerun!

Awesome.

Imteresting how your faded big photo of the 1908 made the coin look worse than the photo with the slab included.

• Options
    edited April 30, 2021 3:56PM

Lakesammman: Could you do us a favor..... re-post the large sized 1908 N/M Saint with brighter lighting so we can learn to review the coin photo to better ascertain the luster? The shadow on the high points makes the coin appear to have a luster issue.
    Trying to grade by looking at a photo is brutal.

The 1908 N/M luster looks much nicer when contrasted against the slab, Maybe this should be required.

• Options

Coin collectors should know NOT to submit grades with a + on old slabs!

The plus grade did not exist back in the day!

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

First one makes sense.

Second one —- the computer malfunctioned badly !!

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on finding these rarities! I've only ever seen the ad and never an actual slab.

• Options

Oreville - will do.

They are actually the same pictures - the 1st pair cropped to exclude the slab identity.

• Options

People over think grading sometimes. They aren’t gems and they aren’t sliders so they are choice.

The grading start at 63. The NM has luster to support gem/higher but is too chatty so it is 63-64 range. The 24 has the surfaces of gem but not the luster and the strike isn’t amazing. Choice UNCs all day everyday, Maybe a 64 on a generous day but I don’t think they CAC even as 63s ( JA is sooooo tough on saints)

• Options

he 1924 is the superior coin of the two- not even close.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    he 1924 is the superior coin of the two- not even close.

Depends on what you value, many would value the limited design type, strike and luster over slightly cleaner fields. The 24p saint is the equivalent to the 1904p liberty head in terms of sheer availability

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super interesting!
    Great luck ups!

I guessed 65 or better on the 1924 as the fields are cleaner than my own OGH 1924 -64
    I suspect my own may have a little more luster?
    Impossible to know without seeing in hand.

In either case, these are great additions to a collection and very solid for the grade.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options

You guys are concentrating too much on the coins - I bought the plastic! :D

• Options

The 1924 has a great satin look with the right color. Yes it is common and comparable to the 1904 Lib... but it really is attractive. I see the 1908 as attractive but there are breaks in the lustre at the high points which is common for the series.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    You guys are concentrating too much on the coins - I bought the plastic! :D

Welcome to the Old Plastic Club from its newest member. Love those chunky Compugrade holders. Congrats!

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

63/64

• Options
    DontTellTheWifeDontTellTheWife Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Are you gonna crack em and try to for a higher grade??

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file