Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have I found the cleaning on this coin?

FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the Obverse it looks to me that just below the Y of Liberty going through AW, the Date and the very bottom of Miss Liberties Neck is the cleaned spot. Do you see any other signs of cleaning on the Obverse or Reverse?

Thanks Much.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2021 3:04PM

That appears to be the area where it was abrasively cleaned. It also might have been less abrasively cleaned between the T and Y also also maybe in front of libertys nose. But the hairlines appearance in the area you noted is what would give it a details grade for cleaning in my opinion

Mr_Spud

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm certain the cleaned area will display obvious hairlines when examined under a halogen lamp while tilting and rotating the coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

The lighting could be hiding more, but when opening this thread and before reading anything you wrote, my eye was immediately drawn to the area between 1917 and AW as appearing problematic.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭

It also looks like perhaps a minor case of graffiti that looks like 'A' between the T and Y? Maybe there was an attempt to lessen that characteristic?

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like it. There is abrassion between the Y and the date.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's where it looks like Ken. Before I read your post, I saw it, so I'm pretty sure that's the primary spot. Second glance and I don't see anything else suspect

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s all I see in the pictures. Pretty coin regardless.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see the hairlines near the date, at an angle of about 45 degrees (counter-clock-wise) from horizontal.
    I think someone, at one time, probably rubbed a pencil eraser across that area so they could see the date more easily.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's obvious...NOT!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is the area that jumps out when first looking at the coin. The coin looks as if it has been dipped in something and allowed to dry and tarnish to hide surface imperfections... JMO.... I could be wrong on that, but from the pictures, even magnified, that is my impression. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file