Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

RIP: Richard Nachbar

ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sad to report that Richard Nachbar passed away last night. I'm sure many people on these boards have met Richard at major coin shows over the past few decades, or perhaps remember reading his iconic ads in CoinWorld.

Richard was always generous with his time - always quick to give his opinion and handled many amazing coins over his career. He would tell me stories of 1890s proof sets, 1794 dollars, etc. - he handled it all.

Raeleen's and my thoughts are with his family, including his wife Linda.

This is quite a shock.

Ian Russell
Owner/Founder GreatCollections
GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values

Comments

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another good one gone. Condolences to his family.

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

may he RIP

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2021 2:51PM

I'm sorry to hear that. I did not know he was unwell. Bit of a shock

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was a fixture at major shows and a Coin World, et al advertising icon for as long as I can remember.

Very knowledgeable but also very kind.

Sad news indeed. Prayers to his family and friends. May he RIP. :'(<3

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never did business with him personally but his advertisements and reputation were iconic.

So sad another one of the "good guys" is gone.

Condolences to his family.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didnt know him at all but somehow I always read his coin world ads. RIP

• Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought an 1808 quarter eagle through one of his blind auctions back in 2009. RIP

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad.
    My condolences to his family and friends.
    Too many losses these past couple of years!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2021 3:45PM

I've seen him at his table at FUNs and ANAs, always active at his table. Too young. RIP.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont believe that i have purchased from him, but I knew the name and am sending my condolences to his immediate and extended family. 😢

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes a shock. Many years ago I showed Richard my 1889-CC Morgan PCGS MS-62. He liked it and felt it was a MS63. He even paid to have it resubmitted for me but still came back a MS62. He was on my forever cool list after that.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

:'(

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prayers and condolences to his family.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad to hear this news. I didn't know him personally but recognized him at all of the shows and of course read all of his wonderful ads. My condolences to his family and friends.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

A hobby fixture. RIP

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

Followed him via his CW ads. Had a lot of interesting info in those ads.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had only very recently read one of his ads in CoinWeek. I would certainly wanted to meet him after reading his very insightful ad. RIP Richard.

OINK

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

I barely knew Richard. But I’ll always remember him as a dealer who handled very nice coins and as a perpetual gentleman.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I first started grabbing some bullion back in September 2001 I would see his ads in coin world and I instantly liked his approach and his explanation of the hordes people would find and then he would help them divest.
    Richard will be missed.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I bought my first house I went to Richard's office to sell my bust half collection. He was very pleasant and easy to deal with. At one of the local coin shows years ago Richard displayed an amazing collection of counterfeit coins.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

This is a shock. I remember having dinner with Tony T. and Richard at the Buffalo EAC Convention some years back. He was a pleasure to be around, very sharp, down to earth and as pleasant as could be. He told great stories about the collections he was asked to appraise and sometimes buy. A consummate gentleman.

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭

I always enjoyed his perspective and adverts in CW - he will be missed. RIP Richard.

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spoke to him a couple years ago. He was running a half marathon in Hawaii. I’m sad to hear about this and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news indeed. I only met him twice (once in 1990, and then again in (?) 1998), but both times he was personable and knowledgeable ... and helpful. My condolences to his family and friends.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang... sad news.

Never met him, but his ads were must read.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very, very sad, and far too young. Condolences to his family and friends. 😢

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know what makes up the Nacbar Index?

Have been reading some of his ads.

Much to young... RIP

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebeav

Great tribute to a friend!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was a gentleman.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knew him by reputation only, which was sterling.

Condolences to his family and friends.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never met him but his ads I do remember. RIP Mr Nachbar.

• Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2021 7:36PM

Sincere condolences to family, friends, colleagues, and friends here on the PCGS boards of Mr. Nachbar. May he RIP.

Yet another reminder that we can't take the coins with us when we go, so try to enjoy the journey.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ianrussell said:
    I'm sad to report that Richard Nachbar passed away last night. I'm sure many people on these boards have met Richard at major coin shows over the past few decades, or perhaps remember reading his iconic ads in CoinWorld.

Richard was always generous with his time - always quick to give his opinion and handled many amazing coins over his career. He would tell me stories of 1890s proof sets, 1794 dollars, etc. - he handled it all.

Raeleen's and my thoughts are with his family, including his wife Linda.

This is quite a shock.

Sounds like his friendship made an impact on you during your ascension through the hobby. I like to think playing it forward in similar fashion to the next generation is the greatest tribute we can pay to those who meant something to us. Condolences

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condolences to his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condolences to family and friends. RickO

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebeav said:
    Living in the same town, I've know and dealt with Rich for the past 40 plus years. He was a great dealer and a great guy.
    I knew he wasn't well, as of last week, but this news is quite a shock.
    Years ago, probably 40 years, he came over to my place one night. We were pretty young then, and pretty solid late night partiers. We were killing some beers and playing darts. Rich had been moving quite a few proof threes at that time, for some reason. He was always showing them to me when we would get together. Well, this night, while we're shooting darts, he says " I've got a couple of proof threes in my pouch" (he had this little velcro zippered pouch that wrapped around his calf. A neat item to inconspicuously carry valuable stuff) . "Cool", I reply....Intent on making a good shot at the dart board. We just kept at it, well into the night. You know how it is when you're in your 20's. So, the night winds down, and he's leaving......."I know what we're going to talk about many years down the road" He says.....
    "Two proof threes in your ankle pouch?" I reply......."Nope" he says, "We'll talk about how we didn't even look at them...."
    We should have looked at the threes Rich.

Rest in Peace my friend !

Didn't he work for Jack Hunt at one time? I seem to remember he did but my memory isn't so good nowadays.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP Rich!

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ajaan said:

>

Didn't he work for Jack Hunt at one time? I seem to remember he did but my memory isn't so good nowadays.

Yes, he did work for Jack Hunt in the 1990s.

Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will always remember those full page ads in Coin World.

RIP

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP🌷

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file