Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

coin shop surprises today! - Proof Morgan’s, and a DMPL

SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 27, 2021 1:46PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Stopped by two area B&M’s today during my work travels. I’ve done business with both over the years.

First one the owner says “want to see some proof Morgan’s?, I just bought a group of them” .... is that a rhetorical question?? lol He then brings out a box and slides it over to me. Inside: 16 proof Morgan’s, all but one graded by PCGS/NGC (the other one in a newer ANACS Slab), 1/2 of them are CAC’d, 1/2 have the Cameo designation, ranging from NGC PF61*Star to PF67, and PCGS PR63 to PR66+ Cameo ..... and the last coin in the box is an 1895 PCGS PR64. 🍺😆🍺 So there I am checking out each one while he waited on various customers coming and going, all buying bullion. Definitely unexpected and a thrill!

So I left that shop and thought “what the hell??” I’ll stop by this other shop, too, not too far away, before I head back to work. And there beaming out from a row of slabbed SAE’s and boring white MS Morgan’s sits this cameo beauty. Not a proof, but close enough for me today after the earlier thrill....of course I couldn’t leave without it.

Fun stuff. Just sharing the good vibes...still lots of cool stuff out there in The Wild...you never know what you might come across.... ⭐️

Comments

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Visiting a B&M shop you have a good relationship with is a simple pleasure.

You never know what you will find. At a minimum you will have good conversation. At best you may find and buy a coin that speaks to you.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - that's a thrill! Nice cameo look on the one you bought. :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story and cool find.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! You got to view some cool coins and buy a fantastic example too!

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story. Thanks for sharing!

peacockcoins

• Options
    edited April 27, 2021 2:30PM

@U1chicago said:

Yeah, that shop I never associated with that type of high end material ... so it really was a surprise when he brought them out. I can’t recall ever viewing a cool group of proof Morgan’s like that at a B&M ... only a couple of times at auction lot viewings when attending the big national shows....

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeattleSlammer said:

@U1chicago said:

Yeah, that shop I never associated with that type of high end material ... so it really was a surprise when he brought them out. I can’t recall ever viewing a cool group of proof Morgan’s like that at a B&M ... only a couple of times at auction lot viewings when attending the big national shows....

It's definitely not the kind of material you expect to see at the majority of local stores. The only place I've seen multiple proof Morgans is at big shows.

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭✭

Great cameo contrast! Well done.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice acquisition!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sounds like a super fun outing!
    Had the pleasure of holding a very nice 1895 Proof one visit years back at Bellevue Rare Coin.
    Will never forget that visit.
    Your outing was even more spectacular!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options

@nwcoast said:
    Had the pleasure of holding a very nice 1895 Proof one visit years back at Bellevue Rare Coin.

Yes I remember that ‘95 at Bellevue RC too ... but I saw it (or perhaps a different one?) just a month or so back at their downtown Bellevue location — then a couple of weeks later (just earlier this month) I returned and it was gone, and the guy said they’d sent it off to be auctioned, though we didn’t get into details. The shops I referenced here are Northgate RC and Coin Market in Lynnwood.

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

Nice coin! I've never seen a proof morgan in hand, let alone held one, let alone a 1895, the KING of Morgan Dollars.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That must have been a great coin shop visit.... I left Seattle twelve years ago...and I can say I never saw anything like that in the coin shops at that time. A shop in Renton had some good coins from time to time...and a good 'coin board' for private sales.... I recall the one shop in Seattle was not a good place to visit... It was like you were doing them a favor by walking in, and a distinct inconvenience if you asked a question. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun.

Pretty DMPL!!!

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the B&Ms here have closed for good, :s
    I will have to travel far and wide to find some.
    I will surly miss the banter between seller and buyer.
    Congrats on your purchases.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@ricko said:
    That must have been a great coin shop visit.... I left Seattle twelve years ago...and I can say I never saw anything like that in the coin shops at that time. A shop in Renton had some good coins from time to time...and a good 'coin board' for private sales.... I recall the one shop in Seattle was not a good place to visit... It was like you were doing them a favor by walking in, and a distinct inconvenience if you asked a question. Cheers, RickO

Yep the Renton shop is still around, moved to new location, and owner is a good guy. The other shop you mention in Seattle is also still around—and still getting poor customer service reviews online—but also still has a nice selection of raw type. Definitely a ‘crustier’ personality type there haha.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on a good outing! Two days ago I went to two shops near me and didn't find anything but you don't know until you go. B)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing your adventure @SeattleSlammer! Sounds like a heckuva good time. Had to certainly have been a thrill to go through those proof Morgans. For what it's worth, I think you scored a terrific piece in that '85-O. The frost is so thick I feel a chill just looking at it ;)

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeattleSlammer said:

@nwcoast said:

Yes I remember that ‘95 at Bellevue RC too ... but I saw it (or perhaps a different one?) just a month or so back at their downtown Bellevue location — then a couple of weeks later (just earlier this month) I returned and it was gone, and the guy said they’d sent it off to be auctioned, though we didn’t get into details. The shops I referenced here are Northgate RC and Coin Market in Lynnwood.

Dude!
    Northgate and Lynnwood are NOT that "close" together! :wink:

Nice pickup though! Tasty!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file