Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1926-S Oregon Trail grading opinions needed

Looking for your opinion on the grade of this coin. All input appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, obverse is very clean, but the reverse has some dings. Probably dipped, but not overly so. Mid MS Would be my guess.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Native side looks to be MS-66.
    But the wagon side has more marks - MS-62.

So, MS-62.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obverse looks clean but reverse looks to have a fair amount of chatter. Depending on just how strong the chatter is, I’d say probably 63-64, but with a 65 or 66 obverse. The reverse sets the grade, but the obverse will be really nice for the grade.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess would be approximately MS64.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

With an assumption that the reverse chatter is not so severe in hand, I would go 65. In spite of the reverse chatter, there are no major nicks in key areas, eg, the sun’s rays. As others have said, the obverse is very clean. Almost certainly dipped, but blazing luster.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the obverse.. 66
    Reverse... 64

I will say 64+

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

@dcarr said:

So, MS-62.

The obverse is typically weighted far more heavily than the reverse.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@dcarr said:

So, MS-62.

Which obverse? :D

• Options
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2021 12:12PM

@Connecticoin said:

@MFeld said:

@dcarr said:

So, MS-62.

Which obverse? :D

Fair question. The front. ;)
    But seriously, I'm under the impression that the majority of hobbyists consider the "Native" side to be the obverse (even though the Redbook I have shows otherwise). Apologies to @dcarr.

• Options
    edited April 27, 2021 11:58AM

Same thing happens with the Texas Commem. The side with "US of A" and "Half Dollar" (typically on reverse) is usually considered the obverse on the Texas half, but at least the date is on that side.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice luster, but with the marks 62.

thefinn
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

The obverse looks like a weak MS-65, strong MS-64. The reverse looks like an MS-63 with the clatter. I would say MS-64 with boost because of the luster.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the obverse would be the side with the date. I'd give it a 64.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 Dipped out . Lots of disturbances on the reverse and that long luster break along the Indians leg is very distracting.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The chatter in the fields of the obverse (wagon side ;) ) limit it a bit, not sure how bad they are 'in hand'. I would call it a MS64... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RedstoneCoinsRedstoneCoins Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for your input.

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 or 64 seems about right.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 here too

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

62+.

My grades would be 65/62.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming the luster is blooming (as it shows) and the marks are less than (as it shows) I'd go MS65 and perhaps MS66 if the marks truly are not as significant as the photo appears.

peacockcoins

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file