Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1943 Silver Cent sells for $8,400!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 24, 2021 5:16PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I wanted to pick this one up today but had my sights on another piece and could only go after one.

Compare the look of silver to steel. This steel cent sold for $33,600 just 6 months ago.

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Links?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

How come we're comparing an off metal strike to an MS68? I'm confused.

• Options
    edited April 24, 2021 4:39PM

@jmlanzaf said:

Comparing look of silver to steel since both have a silvery look. It's good to see how the two compare.

• Options
  • Options

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:
    Links?

Added!

Thank you.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MWallace said:
    WOW!! I'm dating myself, but I remember when 1943 Silver Cents were just a few hundred dollars. The one above is the nicest one I've ever seen.

I agree. I've looked at a lot of these cents and just love this one.

I wanted to add a core collection piece, or I would have gone for this one.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Comparing look of silver to steel since both have a silvery look. It's good to see how the two compare.

Aren't we comparing silver to zinc? Have I misunderstood the nature of (common) 1943 cents all these years?

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exciting coins!

• Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

That's a particularly nice example @Zoins It's easy to see why it caught your eye. Thanks for posting it!

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

$33,000! I've got some real nice raw ones that look that good!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

$33,000 for a 1943-P steel cent is absurd no matter what the grade.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2021 4:09AM

I agree it doesn’t look like one which is what makes this special. Of course it doesn’t exactly look like a normal cent planchet either which accounts for the relatively low price.

I wonder if I will regret my decision. I ended up buying a widget instead. The other piece looks like perhaps one of 3 right now but they look basically the same. Can widget be used for 1 of 3? ;)

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's still available via HA make offer button for $12,600

• Options
    edited April 25, 2021 4:13AM

@LindyS said:

Heritage says the following which should be taken with a grain of salt. It’s an automatic message. The lot I won says this too but I never set it to say this and I’m not responding to offers at all ;)

This item's owner is actively responding to (though not necessarily routinely accepting) offers. Most owners in this category are still actively buying, and therefore interested only in offers where they can net (after our 10% fee) an amount sufficiently above today's market value. Owners in this category seldom counter-offer, and will usually simply reject offers placed at current auction values or lower.

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought it meant item did not sell but owner will accept 12,600.
    I have noticed the button pop after certain inflated value error coin auctions end at HA

So this button pops up on all lots after they close ?

@Zoins said:

@LindyS said:

Heritage says the following which should be taken with a grain of salt. It’s an automatic message. The lot I won says this too but I never set it to say this and I’m not responding to offers at all ;)

This item's owner is actively responding to (though not necessarily routinely accepting) offers. Most owners in this category are still actively buying, and therefore interested only in offers where they can net (after our 10% fee) an amount sufficiently above today's market value. Owners in this category seldom counter-offer, and will usually simply reject offers placed at current auction values or lower.

• Options

@LindyS said:
    I have noticed the button pop after certain inflated value error coin auctions end at HA

@Zoins said:

@LindyS said:

I think it’s a default message on all auction lots. I think the buyer may have a setting to turn it off but I haven’t looked for it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would be nice to find one of these in a coinstar reject slot.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a cool off metal error for sure. Someone way back was very smart to preserve it!

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Would be nice to find one of these in a coinstar reject slot.... ;) Cheers, RickO

UMMMM...................You think?

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

@Zoins said:

@LindyS said:

@Zoins said:

@LindyS said:

I think it’s a default message on all auction lots. I think the buyer may have a setting to turn it off but I haven’t looked for it.

Yes, the buyer/client can disable “Make Offer to Owner”.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins
    What are the weights of the two coins?
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:
    @Zoins
    What are the weights of the two coins?
    Wayne

I don’t know but I expect the first to be the weight of a standard silver dime planchet. If not, I would expect to see a weight on the insert.

I expect the second to be that of a standard steel war cent.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering - "Is it really Silver" ?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    I'm just wondering - "Is it really Silver" ?

What's causing you to question PCGS and Heritage?

• Options
    edited May 30, 2021 7:44PM

@Zoins said:

I always question things I don't know about so I can learn from explanations ,

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

@Zoins said:

I always question things so I can learn from explanations ,

did you read the heritage description or coinfacts page? (if there is one)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC

I was able to read the PCGS page but not the heritage page, I'm dyslexic so reading is kinda tough on me. I do think I got it now that these were struck on dime planchets?

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    I do think I got it now that these were struck on dime planchets?

dime planchet yes.

reading posts here vs heritage can't be that different, with that condition that is.

there are fantastic text to voice programs/apps out there. fwiw

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@LanceNewmanOCC

I was able to read the PCGS page but not the heritage page, I'm dyslexic so reading is kinda tough on me. I do think I got it now that these were struck on dime planchets?

Yes, it was struck on a silver dime planchet.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    reading posts here vs heritage can't be that different, with that condition that is.

>
    Well for me the text is so tiny I can't read it - and I am not a member - is this OK ?

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

>
    Well for me the text is so tiny I can't read it - and I am not a member - is this OK ?

windows comes with a magnification tool. heritage doesn't require you to be a member to read descriptions; just click on the links in the OP or you can hold down ctrl and use your scroll button to increase/decrease the text size.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2021 9:54PM

Has anyone checked with @MrEureka that it's not a pattern? >:)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@ricko said:

UMMMM...................You think?

Pete

Or in a parking lot. ;)

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2021 10:15PM

It’s not a pattern. There are many 1943 silver Cents ( Cent on Dime blank) known.

It’s actually one of the more common years!!

Just expensive because of the magic date- 1943.

The MS 66 is unusual for the grade, and the price reflects that. It is the finest one that I have ever seen.

I have handled a few of these in MS 64 and 65, and I’m sure that Fred Weinberg has too.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    SullivanNumismaticsSullivanNumismatics Posts: 829 ✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2021 6:06AM

The finest known to me, although there are some other nice examples out there. For years it was housed in an NGC MS-65 holder and brought at 3 auctions prices between $7500-$11,400 at auction, so it was "right in line" more or less.

I think of this coin as the "affordable" 1943 off-metal. There are quite a few out there, and other wheat years are much scarcer. But, popularity is what bring value, and it's the most popular single year for wheat silver cents.

www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options

1943 is a magic year for all Lincoln Cents struck as off- metals, Heritage Auctions just sold my 1943 Lincoln Cent, the finest of 6 known, for $31,200.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a reasonable price! Someone is going to get a decent and cool-looking error that I see as being more valuable in the future.

peacockcoins

• Options
    edited August 26, 2021 7:53AM

@Byers said:
    1943 is a magic year for all Lincoln Cents struck as off- metals

Agree! I think it’s the most significant date for off-metal cents due to coinciding with officially struck metal change for the steel cents.

I also like 1974 and 1964 but nothing officially happened to the cents that year. 1982 is ok but a bit modern.

@Byers said:
    Heritage Auctions just sold my 1943 Lincoln Cent, the finest of 6 known, for $31,200.

Congrats! 🎉

I’m a huge fan of the centstukken. It’s a 1943, off metal, silver, copper looking, and who doesn’t love a name like Centstukken!

• Options
    edited August 26, 2021 7:57AM

I thought it had a chance to hit 40k+. It’s a great mint error at a fraction of the cost for a 1943 Copper Cent. It’s 64% silver and 36% copper.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

Couple years ago, i missed an opportunity to buy one of these over the counter, I got a call saying they had a 43 penny struck in silver, I said should be steel. I get calls all the time people thinking the steel ones are silver , I said bring it by and Ill look at it, well they went to a gold buying shop across town instead, and sure enough it was, sold it for 100 bucks or so I think. the owner of the shop submitted it and it came back a 45 or so

• Options
    edited August 26, 2021 8:09AM

@jdimmick said:
    Couple years ago, i missed an opportunity to buy one of these over the counter, I got a call saying they had a 43 penny struck in silver, I said should be steel. I get calls all the time people thinking the steel ones are silver , I said bring it by and Ill look at it, well they went to a gold buying shop across town instead, and sure enough it was, sold it for 100 bucks or so I think. the owner of the shop submitted it and it came back a 45 or so

Sorry to hear that! Perhaps they lived across town town as well so it was simply a matter of convenience?

I wish PCGS would classify error types and give them CoinFacts listing pages. It would be amazing to see all the 1943 off-metal cents together!

I wonder if Ron @BestGerman ever thought about this for CoinFacts.

• Options

Zions- Thanks! I’m sure that the new owner will treasure it in his Lincoln Cent or mint error collection!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file