Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post your most expensive/rarest coin here!

13»

Comments

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    These prove that a clash can occur on the recessed parts of the die. Insider2 and I had somewhat of a debate about this when he was here. How, mechanically, this can happen is a mystery but apparently strange things do occur when the pressures are very high as when clashes happen.

The faces of dies are generally convex, so it is conceivable that clashing can occur at the apex of a design, even if it is somewhat recessed from the die fields.

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:

@CalifornianKing said:

@koynekwest said:

@CalifornianKing said:

@koynekwest said:
    This one might be my rarest. I'd have to give it some thought. It's considerably rarer than the 16/16 I posted earlier.

is that a proof? Or whats so rare about it?

Right you are, scotty 4449. It's the 3 1/2 legged variety. Note how the lower right front leg is virtually missing. There's probably fewer than 35 known in all grades.

Is it a proof 3 1/2 leg?

No such thing. Except in very rare cases if a proof die clashes that die is retired from striking proofs.

Here is a rare exception-

ah okay. What about some mint shenanigans?

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2021 5:12PM

I don't think so. Just a strongly clashed proof die.

That's a lovely 3 legger you have there. It still has a faint wisp of the leg.

• Options

Yeah-that high relief ain't too shabby either.

• Options

Like a few others here I remember $40 saints, too. I bought an uncirculated Indian Head quarter eagle for $17.50 back then, about 1962, as well.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

@markelman1125 said:

@Kliao said:
    This is probably the rarest and most expensive coin I currently own. 1889-CC Morgan, one of the keys in the series. I bought it raw as part of a collection and had it graded.

Wow @Kliao that’s an impressive coin 👍.

Thanks! :smiley: But it's not much compared to the other coins in the thread.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

@markelman1125 said:

@Kliao said:
    This is probably the rarest and most expensive coin I currently own. 1889-CC Morgan, one of the keys in the series. I bought it raw as part of a collection and had it graded.

Wow @Kliao that’s an impressive coin 👍.

Thanks! :smiley: But it's not much compared to the other coins in the thread.

I am actually saving up for a CC Morgan myself, not the 1889 cc but I have been looking at those. Hopefully I can collect enough coins to trade for the 1889 cc in the future like I have with my others coins.

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said:
    Most expensive: Denarius of Brutus, commemorating his assassination of Julius Caesar on the "Ides of March (= EID MAR)"

Not only is that a super rare coin, but yours in excellent condition! I have ever only seen one of these but it was a very poor condition and if I remember correctly was nearly 100K. I can’t imagine what one as nice as yours would cost.

That is a true treasure. Thanks for sharing it with us. It belongs in a museum!

• Options

@USSID17 said:
    Nice example!

Nice overlay! Here's one I made for the buffalo nickel-obverse first; reverse second with normally aligned dies-

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice koynekwest!

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done @SmEagle1795
    I really enjoy seeing the Denarius of Brutus every time you post it. It is right up there with the first Olympic Stadium for me. The history of your coins is always so amazing. :)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

If we are including Cherry Picker Varieties, this is definitely my rarest. 1876-S RPD FS-301. There are zero straight-graded examples. Zero. This one is XF Details.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lazybones said:

@CoinHoarder said:
    And this coin is the most I ever spent for a coin, in 2011 it cost me $1,750.00:

I remember $40 Saints.

You bought at the top of the market in 2011 and it isvstill worth more today. A testiment to the staying power of the v$20 Libs.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

That Gobrecht is SO pretty!

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UrbanDecay04 said:

@YoloBagels said:

@UrbanDecay04 said:

Yolo... aren't you a YN? How do you even have a coin this expensive!?!?

I'm 18 so by some definitions I am a YN. I actually bought that coin from a member here by selling on my IG account.

That's one nice coin though... Maybe one day I'll sell off a lot of my collection to pay for a nice coin... My collection is worth about $500 and may very soon grow to $600... There are a few members here gifting me coins and I think it totals to somewhere around $100... The $450 worth of coins I have is just American... I THINK have somewhere around $50-$100 worth of foreign coins... But I won't know until I completely log all of them... Here are all of my U.S. coins and a little less than half of my foreign coins...

Never sell the first few coins that started your collection. The memories of acquiring and owning those coins are more important than the proceeds you can obtain from selling them.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    JimsokayJimsokay Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said:
    Most expensive: Denarius of Brutus, commemorating his assassination of Julius Caesar on the "Ides of March (= EID MAR)"

Rarest: This is one of two Athens gold diobols in private hands (four others are in museums). It was minted from the melted down gold statues of Nike in the Acropolis when Athens was raising funds for the Peloponnesian war against Sparta.

After a break of fifty years I am just getting back into coins. Until recently I was unaware of the beauty of ancient coins. Having the coin with the history from so long ago is mind-boggling! Those two may sum up all one needs to know in regards to why people love coins. Thanks for sharing, they are amazing!!

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    I do not recall the price as it also involved a trade for a PR65RB. But this one is PR66BN with fabulous color:

Probably the last coin that I will ever sell........

OINK

That is one spectacular proof key date. Awsome toning as well 👍

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

<3

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    I do not recall the price as it also involved a trade for a PR65RB. But this one is PR66BN with fabulous color:

Probably the last coin that I will ever sell........

OINK

On a coin like this, since when does price matter?

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was the most expensive purchase for my set of PR Indian cents.......

I did not have to think twice when this coin became available.

But I am still looking for a nicely toned 64L in PR65 +/-.

OINK

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file