Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

WLH- Guess the grade (more for the newbies)...

lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

As the title of the Discussion says... what grade would you assign this piece? This is the WLH in my current 7070 Type Set. I'll upgrade it at some point, but I really couldn't beat the price at the time... ;-)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Comments

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure of the grade but nice strike!

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guessing AU 50

• Options
    JimsokayJimsokay Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

Just been trying to grasp nuances here lately.

Some wear, but not much. AU 55?

The liberty quarters drive me nuts. Only the finest appeals to me.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU53.

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

AU53

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would see that as a 50, shot 53 precluding any issues (which there may be)

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Au 58 details (pvc)

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@clarkbar04 said:
    Au 58 details (pvc)

ding...ding...ding...ding...ding! I'd have gone with 50 or 55 details, but you nailed the PVC damage. This piece was found in a bulk bin at my local B&M shop when I lived in Flagstaff and silver was about $6/oz. I think they were $2.50 each/5 for $10. These are pieces that I typically gave the kids when the Tooth Fairy came... Anyway, the entire reverse of the coin was a pasty green color and "rinsing" in acetone wasn't budging it. I finally poured about 20 mls into a glass petri dish with the coin in it and let it go overnight. Most of the PVC had dissolved, but there were still a few areas that remained. I liked the details on the coin and the strike (as someone else mentioned) was also pretty good for this issue... so I kept it. Here are a few more images that might highlight better the "issues" with this piece... but for $2.50?!!

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess AU50-53.... But for $2.50, a good pickup..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU55. Just acetone it. 👍

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

It's too bad I don't have any "Before" pictures of this piece, but it looked like a cross between these two:

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU55 and thanks for entering me in the giveaway ;)

• Options

I should add, if the dirt and pvc were removed (and I strongly believe it would alll come off) you'd have a nice slider in your album.

• Options

@clarkbar04 said:
    I should add, if the dirt and pvc were removed (and I strongly believe it would alll come off) you'd have a nice slider in your album.

Maybe I'll give her another bath before putting her back in the album... :smile:

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF45-AU50.

• Options

@lkenefic said:

Maybe I'll give her another bath before putting her back in the album... :smile:

Ms70 would remove both and not harm/etch the surfaces.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file