Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just bought this... I'm happy with it!

I bought a double 1958-PD set... Definitely overpaid for it (by $8)... but I don't care... I love the 1958 wheat penny (I have no idea why the specific date) but especially having them in MS-65 state is awesome!

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have more I images?

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DarkRage666 said:

@thisistheshow said:
    Do you have more I images?

Nope lol... that's the fun in it :D

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but what is it exactly that you bought.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2021 3:51PM

@DarkRage666 said:

@JimTyler said:
    $8 dollars ? You’re out of control.

Just a tad... I don't normally do anything that reckless but it's $9... it's not like I paid $100 for a $1 set of coins

Not really that much different:

$8/ (2*. $0.10 FMV per coin)= 40:1
    $100 (2 * $1.1 FMV per coin) = 45.5:1

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...that picture looks like the head of a nervous 1950’s robot ;)

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I'm happy that you are happy. I would focus on some silver, but whatever floats your boat.

Vplite99
  • Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

To Tha Moon!

I think that’s what they’re saying now.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I lose $8 on a deal I call that break even.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not up on roll prices but maybe $8 would have bought a whole roll of new 1958 cents, or even a roll of each mintmark?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on other posts/threads you don't have $25 to spend on a $25 coin, but you have $8 to spend on less than 25 cents worth of coins? :/

It's your money....

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won’t argue with the financial perspective offered on his choice of how to spend his money, but I’m glad he’s finding joy in acquiring coins that bring him joy.

I’m a big believer in quality over quantity when spending my budget, but at this cost level, I don’t think that matters much.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DarkRage666 said:
    I bought a double 1958-PD set... Definitely overpaid for it (by $8)... but I don't care... I love the 1958 wheat penny (I have no idea why the specific date) but especially having them in MS-65 state is awesome!

I am confused here, I see no image of the obverses that show they are 58's, nor that they are graded MS65 by a tpg. Is this your grade opinion then? Why no obverse pic?

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2021 6:33PM

He is like 16 years old... ease up a bit.

Nice Jeff collection on a tight budget.

We should all kick in $20 and send him to a grading class next time ANA is in Texas.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I'm not up on roll prices but maybe $8 would have bought a whole roll of new 1958 cents, or even a roll of each mintmark?

Greysheet bid is $5 per roll for 1958s and the same for 1958-Ds

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:
    He is like 16 years old... ease up a bit.

We should all kick in $20 and send him to a grading class next time ANA is in Texas.

I'm not sure the grade is in question here. I mean, it's in question because we can't see the coins. LOL. But we don't have any reason to believe the coins aren't Red Uncs. It's just that Red Uncs of these dates are relatively inexpensive and easy to find.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2021 9:09PM

@Tom147 said:

...we've all overpaid for coins,

Lol. I, for one, can easily concur to this! Nice coins dude! Congratulations ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2021 11:13PM

I think the presentation piece certainly has some value in this equation, too. If you find some cents you like better, you can swap these into 2x2s and put the new ones in this.
    Be careful with the “it’s only a little money” philosophy, though, it adds up. It’s great to have on the back end, but more thought on the front in will keep you from saying it as often (with coins, girls, cars...lot of stuff).
    Enjoy those coins!

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why overpay for very common stuff that you can find many of, everyday?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoy your coins... read and understand advice given... Learning is 50% of the hobby... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like those are nickel Cointainers too. Be careful if they slide around as the high points of your two cents will potentially take on marks.

peacockcoins

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess we all paid some kind of tuition when starting out in this hobby. I do hope the OP can learn without too many costly mistakes. 👍

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DarkRage666 said:

2 1958-P & D Unc. wheat pennies... I know it was WAY overpriced but I like it and I didn't really care about the money anyways... But it's kind of funny that I bought it... just a bit reckless but, eh, what's $9 anyways?

If you are happy with your purchase, then so be it. The next time you might try using the Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins forum. They can hook you up.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DarkRage666 said:

@rec78 said:
    Why overpay for very common stuff that you can find many of, everyday?

Honestly? I've been trying to find the 1958 penny of this grade in circulation, but I haven't been able to... I found it easier to just buy them.

I don't think anyone is saying look in circulation, just that there are less expensive ways to get the coin. In 2 minutes on eBay, I found the pair for $3 shipped. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Coins-1958-P-D-Lincoln-Wheat-Cent-Set-BU-Red-Set-or-Collection/143579810019

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UrbanDecay04 said:

@ShaunBC5 said:
    I think the presentation piece certainly has some value in this equation, too. If you find some cents you like better, you can swap these into 2x2s and put the new ones in this.
    Be careful with the “it’s only a little money” philosophy, though, it adds up. It’s great to have on the back end, but more thought on the front in will keep you from saying it as often (with coins, girls, cars...lot of stuff).
    Enjoy those coins!

I absolutely agree with you... overtime "a little money" adds up... This is just a one-and-done buy... I don't do stuff this reckless (ever) when it comes to coins... It was a fun little bit and I love the coins!

It's all about the fun. And a nice set of wheaties for next to nothing is a real pretty decision.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file