Home U.S. Coin Forum

An Under rated RPM

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

This beauty, the 1960d/d, was given to me yesterday from my Dealer friend. What a guy, right? Lol. This variety is so, so dramatic and clear to see. However, it's NOT valued as to what it does for the eye and the coin collector. What a shame, huh? Check it out guys.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice RPM. I've looked for this example for many years and gave up..........never found one. So, yes, underrated and scarce in my humble (well, not so humble) opinion.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2021 12:07PM

@JoeyCoins are those last two images from the same coin?

Edit to add: the reason I ask this is that I don't see that detail on yours. But I know when I take pictures with my phone, I have to focus on the mint mark specifically to get that to be something I can really zoom in on in my coin picture. Hope that makes sense. 😂😂😂

Second edit to add: to clarify, when I zoom in on the top picture I cant see that same clarity with the RPM. But I'm trying to learn to be able to focus on something like a RPM, take the picture, and have that be the case.

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one of the few varieties I can say I literally pulled from circulation, I found it in the till at the auto parts store where I worked in the late 1980s and the manager let me swap out another cent for it.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

No magnifying glass needed and no wondering about it. It is a variety I approve of. Does that count for anything? :)

All glory is fleeting.
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

Edit to add: the reason I ask this is that I don't see that detail on yours. But I know when I take pictures with my phone, I have to focus on the mint mark specifically to get that to be something I can really zoom in on in my coin picture. Hope that makes sense. 😂😂😂

Yes, same coin. Thanks :)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@thisistheshow said:

I added a second edit to clarify what I was saying. I was not implying you were doing something nefarious. I am just trying to learn to take pictures with my phone where when I zoom in the mint mark is really in focus. Hope that makes sense.

edited April 14, 2021 3:36PM

Here's one that sold at auction for $65.
    Not bad of a price. But for a ms 65RD, the coin should be at least $100. In my humble opinion. Lol.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

It may be a nicer-than-average RPM,
    but there are a lot of them out there -
    in both BU and circulation.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seanq said:
    This is one of the few varieties I can say I literally pulled from circulation, I found it in the till at the auto parts store where I worked in the late 1980s and the manager let me swap out another cent for it.

Sean Reynolds

I can see swapping a nickel or dime but a penny? :D

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS has graded 220 in 65RD as of now. I did not check NGC. Maybe a few duplicates but I doubt many. The distribution where most are RD also leads me to believe that the number in RB and BN is much higher. Probably a lot more RD ungraded too.

Sorry but it doesn't seem to be underpriced to me.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2021 5:20PM

Nice one!.... I've had this one for years raw.

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find! It's great to pull something like this out of circulation.

Vplite99
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Opened an OBR of 68D and found about 1/2 dozen of these in Gem.
    Lot of nice RPM's out there.
    It was a good roll.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is why you don't tap a punch before giving it the whack.

Collector, occasional seller

• KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine came in a classic vintage holder with someone's wonderful label :-)
    I agree Joey, it's one of my all time favorites!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@joeykoins said:

@thisistheshow said:

I added a second edit to clarify what I was saying. I was not implying you were doing something nefarious. I am just trying to learn to take pictures with my phone where when I zoom in the mint mark is really in focus. Hope that makes sense.

I think if you want to do serious coin photography, you'll want a dedicated camera. @joeykoins , how much did your set-up cost?

@daltex said,

@joeykoins , how much did your set-up cost?

Lol. Just using my Phone (Android 20), and the real winner in my pics is my cheap scope. 1000x. Still need to work on my blurry shots, though. Lol. Thanks

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@daltex said,

@joeykoins , how much did your set-up cost?

Lol. Just using my Phone (Android 20), and the real winner in my pics is my cheap scope. 1000x. Still need to work on my blurry shots, though. Lol. Thanks

All right, but you're not using JUST your phone, is my point. My secondary point is that a decent set-up isn't going to cost enough to keep you from buying more than a couple of coins.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice RPM.... That is a great one from your dealer friend.... also a great change find, they are out there. Cheers, RickO

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    No magnifying glass needed.............

Maybe in my younger years, but not now.

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the hunt continues on after being stimulated by this post.
    Nice friend @joeykoins

This beauty, the 1960d/d, was given to me yesterday from my Dealer friend.

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    It may be a nicer-than-average RPM,
    but there are a lot of them out there -
    in both BU and circulation.

Excellent point, Fred.

But WOW..........that sure is a knockout spread on the coin.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file