Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So, is this a "Details" grade, or a "Body Bag?"

ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

DETAILS or BODY BAG?

I recently purchased the little token below. I really liked the strike and design. I could clearly see that it was fairly harshly cleaned, but has toned back to be attractive enough. It is an interesting Rulau PA-197a.

The seller mentioned in the listing, "UNC (CLEANED) - NR" and showed the raw coin.

That all I expected to get.

However when I received the package, it came with THIS . . . . . . . .

It has OBVIOUSLY been submitted to NCG, isn't in a slab, and came with the tag you see above.

So . . . . . . .

Does this mean it was returned "DETAILS" or is this how NCG send back a coin in a "body bag?"

I have yet to submit anything to a TPG (mostly because my stuff would ALL come back in "body bags") so I am not familiar if the respective "corpse" comes back with a "toe tag" attached.

And if this one WAS returned "details" in a slab, I wonder whatever happened to the slab? I mean, I have seen plenty of coins in slabs with a similar tag enclosed.

What say you? Body bag or missing slab?

Z

BTW, I will put this back into my own slab, tag included. Does this send me to "numismatic hell?"

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a tag for a details slab. If a coin is in a body bag it won’t get any type of grade assigned and will either have a note “genuine not gradable” with a problem listed (like active PVC) or “not genuine” (or something worded similarly).

With that tag the coin was in a holder and cracked.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

@airplanenut said:
    That’s a tag for a details slab. If a coin is in a body bag it won’t get any type of grade assigned and will either have a note “genuine not gradable” with a problem listed (like active PVC) or “not genuine” (or something worded similarly).

That's what I was curious about. Why crack it out and sell it raw, then include the toe tag . . . ?

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:

@airplanenut said:

That's what I was curious about. Why crack it out and sell it raw, then include the toe tag . . . ?

Z

Maybe it was out in an album or it wasn’t deemed necessary to be in a slab so now it takes up less space?

Every so often I come across cracked coins with their tags, and I’d say more often than not they are details coins.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's likely what @airplanenut mentioned. For example, I have cracked out some details coins for an album and kept the label. Another possibility is that someone wanted to study it more easily, so they cracked it out (not a big deal given the grade).

• Options

I should also add that I’ve kept the tags for all the coins I’ve cracked and out in my 7070. None are details coins, but if I ever sell them, I’ll include the tag.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is what it looked like when it left NGC

https://ngccoin.com/certlookup/5853527-005/NGCDetails/

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

There’s no difference, it depends on if the submitter wants genuine details coins slabbed or not.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

What @airplanenut said. I've purchased a few coins over the years that came with a tag because the previous owner had cracked it out. I'd think if you want it in a TPG holder and submitted it, it would come back with a similar outcome and be given a "scratches" or "cleaned" designation. Too nice for a body bag, imo. From what I am seeing on eBay these days, there are a LOT of coins considerably worse off than yours getting into details slabs these days.

Cool piece! I've not seen one before.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

These used to bring good money in copper. Shame they cleaned it so badly. I have to say it was
    very nice of the seller to send you the insert even though he or previous owner tried to get it
    in a graded slab.
    It is a neat token and they have a few in different metals but copper is the rarest, if memory serves m right.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many ancient coin dealers and collectors don’t care for slabbed coins. I have seen and purchased several pieces in flips that had the slab tag included. Those tags are of interest because they provide another opinion about the piece including a grade and the quality of the strike and surfaces.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

Where did you get the slab from?

• Options

@stockdude_ said:
    Where did you get the slab from?

Alibaba's den of thieves . . . . .

It's a PCCB self slab.

Z

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting old token.... I would buy one of those if I saw it...just to add to my collection of 'old' decks of playing cards.. meld the two hobbies. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file