Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG'er 1937 Buffalo Nickel

USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 13, 2021 3:26PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too much glare from the harsh lighting to judge the luster, the strike says MS65 but that is all I can say.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@coinbuf said:
    Too much glare from the harsh lighting to judge the luster, the strike says MS65 but that is all I can say.

Thanks! Sorry, these are the best pictures I could take. But you already answered my question.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks 66.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on those pictures, I think it’s just as likely the coin is AU, as it is 65 or better.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll guess 64.

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

MS65. It's impossible to tell with those photos. 50/50 chance of it being high AU as MFeld said.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like wear, hidden by the glare....Maybe, maybe not.... High AU... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    I'll guess 64.

You beat me to it. I like it as 64 too.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

I think I got ripped-off!! Although, I hear these things are difficult to grade. That, or I went to the wrong TPG'er!! :D

• Options

@USSID17 said:
    I think I got ripped-off!! Although, I hear these things are difficult to grade. That, or I went to the wrong TPG'er!! :D

That’s not an especially difficult coin to grade, but your images don’t allow for meaningful grade guesses.
    Why did you submit it for grading?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@USSID17 said:

You're right, why submit it for grading... My inexperience! I thought it would come back Mid-Mint State but even with that, the off-setting cost of grading wasn't smart! I was also testing my non-professional grading skills. I think I'm learning the hard way!! :s

• Options

@USSID17 said:

@MFeld said:

@USSID17 said:

ball.

You're right, why submit it for grading... My inexperience! I thought it would come back Mid-Mint State but even with that, the off-setting cost of grading wasn't smart! I was also testing my non-professional grading skills. I think I'm learning the hard way!! :s

Better to learn the hard way than not at all. 👍

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2021 5:37PM

@USSID17 said:

It's much better to pay your "tuition" on grading fees taking a stab at common date MS Buffalo Nickels than jumping in with both feet and a boat anchor and trying to cherry pick MS Trade Dollars or SLD's... I've see people pay dearly for the experience you just had... welcome to The Club!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2021 8:07PM

In my opinion it’s the only way to learn. If someone would have sat down with me and said this is a coin that you have graded and this is one that you do not. I’m sure I still would have made most of the same mistakes.
    Unless of course it was full time at
    The Feld Numismatic Society
    But who can afford that :D

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭

@USSID17 said:

@MFeld said:

@USSID17 said:

This is an inexpensive tuition and a great way to learn. If you do not befriend a more experienced numismatist that can mentor you in grading then sending in coins from time.to.time to hone grading skills is not a bad exercise...
    There are great books out there for each series that can also help you learn to grade.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file