Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

target

just a funny story. so my sister went to target this morning before work bc it had a starbucks in it. she pulled up and apparently there was a line out the door with about 50 people in it. she is blonde. so she just sat in line for a sec until she noticed another woman walking out w a latte. she then asked the person in front of her "is the store open? and what's this line for?". the 60 year old woman in front of her said "this is the sports card allocation line".

apparently this is now the only time to get sports cards at target. every friday at 8am, limited to 3 items on a first come first serve basis. adults can only bring 1 child under the age of 16 to obtain an additional 3. if ya got twins, they are sol. apparently you also must provide photo id which is logged.

pretty freaking nutty to me.

Comments

• Options
    NorcalNorcal Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

The word just got out that our local Target gets stocked first thing in the morning's on Thursdays. People are camping out overnight to be the first ones in line. So Crazy to me that people are willing to camp overnight. the cards aren't that cheap, are they?

The packs we sell on Auction typically go cheaper. lol

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did she get the freaking Lotte!!??

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2021 12:25PM

Glad can get cards , we’ve been put in stay at home order and some of the stores have barricaded the sports card isles and other isles as it’s not considered an essential item.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@handyman said:
    Did she get the freaking Lotte!!??

i'm sure she did.

apparently one mans prizm is another gal's lotte.

• Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

Living in Hicksville USA we don't have any of these stores nearby (Target would be 2 hour drive) but we do have a Dollar Tree and it's a constant struggle for the local kids to purchase the 3 card Pokemon packs they get in. Got a guy who if he beats us (or anyone for that matter) buys the whole lot. Last time he had just got there and bought the last 97 packs and was in the parking lot opening them up. Hope he got a bunch of commons. :smiley:

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw that too Blurry, I think today was the first day of the new rules in VA.

I will wait a couple weeks for the excitement to die down... and I will be dragging my 26 year old Son with me!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

Gotta love those unemployed incels standing in line at Target and Walmart every morning.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah saw this at a Virginia target. 3 box maximum Friday 8am. I showed up at 10 to buy Easter basket supplies and an employee explained the procedure. They had Pokémon left which was a perfect Easter basket stuffer. She also said they’ve gotten no Bkb or FB in months. Only Topps BB.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a text from a friend here in San Diego who ran into a line of people outside Target waiting for Pokemon cards.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

At our local Target the distributor has everyone stand in a line, and then he hands each person one box. Everybody in line gets one box, unless there are more boxes than people, in which case he will start down the line again. He does this with each product until nobody wants the product, then he just stocks the shelves.
    kevin

• Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

Are all targets restocked on fridays?

• Options
    DaveSpiwakDaveSpiwak Posts: 40 ✭✭

They’ve been doing that at my local Meijer store as well ever since 2021 Topps was released back in Feb. I thought they were the only ones doing it.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

This reminds me of dads fighting over 1990 Upper Deck French at Costco. Have to believe this ends the same way.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ringer said:
    Are all targets restocked on fridays?

i don't think it would be called "stocking" anymore. the product is being held back and then only allocated on this day starting at 8am until it runs out. jumped on IG a lil while ago and there's tons of posts/pics of various targets throughout the country apparently doing the same things.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let’s say you get three boxes. What kind of cash is on the line? These dudes doing this for a few hundred bucks? Thousand?

• Options
    weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

My bro was in line at 9am for a 3pm Meijer once a week distribution. 2 item max. First in line, got 2 Prizm Basketball Hangers. Pulled a Lebron Orange Cracked Ice and some other stuff to net him about 800 bucks. Which he will flip for a 86 Fleer PSA 9 Barkley and be within a few cards of a PSA8/9 set of 86 Fleer

He makes 175k as a loan officer, he just is ultra competitive and can do his entire job from his phone.

I just chuckle. He pulls fire though. He hit 2 case hit Optic Football Downtown inserts out of 4 cellos, and the Hanger box of Football Prizm he got me for Christmas netted me a Red Ice Herbert...

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Wal Mart here is no different, although the employees and manager text their friends to let them know when they are restocking and get their "cut". At $20 a box then selling them for $50-$70 a pop, thats pretty good profit for the "unemployable"

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

I appreciate the entrepreneurial spirit, but remember that this is what led to years of “junk wax.” Enjoy the times while they are good, but be prepared to give back some or more if you continue to press. Demand will be met with supply, and then some. (All of a sudden I feel old typing this!)

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barfvader said:
    Living in Hicksville USA we don't have any of these stores nearby (Target would be 2 hour drive) but we do have a Dollar Tree and it's a constant struggle for the local kids to purchase the 3 card Pokemon packs they get in. Got a guy who if he beats us (or anyone for that matter) buys the whole lot. Last time he had just got there and bought the last 97 packs and was in the parking lot opening them up. Hope he got a bunch of commons. :smiley:

I guess if he is opening them that is better than the guys buying $20 blasters and then listing on EBay at $50. Not much, but a little better.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.