Home U.S. Coin Forum

Something that just brightened my day!

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 6, 2021 7:07AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guys. You know, being a member here on the PCGS forum. When we get that marvelous privilege to store our coins in the Set Registry "inventory category ". Which tells us the so called price of the value of our coins we have in there. Also, how it calculates the total amount of value in all your coins on top of the page. Well, when I went there this morning. I noticed the price unexpectedly risen tremendously. Then I thought, oh? Something went up in value in my collection? When I checked, it was my 2020 Tallgrass Prairie W Quarter. The one that came back an exciting ms 67. It was too new for PCGS to place a value on in their Price Guide. Until today. Lol. The price shows, $750!
Wow, now I do realize that it's only a guide and I shouldn't take it to be Gospel. But that just made my day.Esp when I showed it to my wife. Lol ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2021 7:12AM

In before WCC comes along to burst your bubble...LOL!

Well done!

Off to buy a box of quarters today!

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

We know you're not going to sell it, anyway, so congrats on the $750 coin!!!
    I hope the price holds up over time for you :smiley:

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations @JoeyCoins ... You certainly have worked hard for these coins. Good luck with future finds. Cheers, RickO

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank guys!
    Yeah, I did notice one even sold on Ebay. Very recent . One that has the same grade in a PCGS holder. I do believe he did get that $750 price too. :)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2021 10:29AM

Want to find out what it's really worth, take it to a show and entertain a few dealer offers. I like the reverse design for this issue.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2021 11:58AM

@mr1874 said:
    Want to find out what it's really worth, take it to a show and entertain a few dealer offers. I like the reverse design for this issue.

Wrong! The way to find the true value is to look at Ebay completed auctions.😎

Any coin is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it! A dealer is not going to pay top dollar for a coin they need to resell.😉

@joeykoins said:
    Hi guys. You know, being a member here on the PCGS forum. When we get that marvelous privilege to store our coins in the Set Registry "inventory category ". Which tells us the so called price of the value of our coins we have in there. Also, how it calculates the total amount of value in all your coins on top of the page. Well, when I went there this morning. I noticed the price unexpectedly risen tremendously. Then I thought, oh? Something went up in value in my collection? When I checked, it was my 2020 Tallgrass Prairie W Quarter. The one that came back an exciting ms 67. It was too new for PCGS to place a value on in their Price Guide. Until today. Lol. The price shows, $750!
    Wow, now I do realize that it's only a guide and I shouldn't take it to be Gospel. But that just made my day.Esp when I showed it to my wife. Lol ;)

Joey, that is amazing! Congratulations and I am so happy for you!🥳🥳🏋️‍♂️🏋️‍♂️🥇🏆🏆🤑

Did you find this quarter in a new or old coin roll?

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats, Joey. Hard work will pay off in the long run, and sometimes the short run.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    Nice!

Double Nice!!!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
    edited April 6, 2021 1:17PM

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Did you find this quarter in a new or old coin roll?

Lol. You know what? I really can't recall? Lol I 'm pretty sure it was in a box or in a group of only the 2020 Tallgrass Prairie W's. I do remember, when I first started out hunting for these W's, I found plenty! About 15 -20. 7 in one roll. Thanks :)

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! I'll admit though, I'd be selling it in order to add to other parts of my collection. Strike while the iron is hot!

Collector, occasional seller

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's like 20 lattes at Starbucks... cash out!

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome Job!! @joeykoins you have to be one of the hardest working guys I've ever seen look through rolls and bags for varieties hands down!!

@airplanenut said:

That's funny dude. That would be an average of $37 a drink! :D

Only surprise is WCC and Cladking have not resumed their cage match with wondercoin officiating.

This is quite an achievement and would keep the coin.

Especially after all of the hard work.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome @joeykoins ! Is that one of your roll finds? That's a nice looking W Quarter my friend!

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Thank guys!
    Yeah, I did notice one even sold on Ebay. Very recent . One that has the same grade in a PCGS holder. I do believe he did get that $750 price too. :)

That's probably where PCGS got the price.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suggest selling as soon as you get it back. Chances are there will be 5 times as many and value closer to $150 in a few years.

• BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

Still haven't found a single W quarter and I'm a half hour away from West Point.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@airplanenut said:

I stand by what I said

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
    edited April 7, 2021 9:32AM

@BillyKingsley said:
    Still haven't found a single W quarter and I'm a half hour away from West Point.

Wow, that's a shocker. PM me, I'll shoot ya one right away! I even have a "Ring Of Death " one. No, don't worry, that won't be the one I'll be sending you. Lol.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool haul i like. if you sell it now make sure to buy one later. just saying

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

You always keep me smiling in a good way.
    Wayne :)

Kennedys are my quest...

@mr1874 said:

Any coin is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it! A dealer is not going to pay top dollar for a coin they need to resell.😉

Not wrong. Dealer will pay top dollar for coin he thinks he can sell within reasonable time frame at a profit. What dealer(s) will pay is reflective of the realities of supply and demand. You'll learn this as you go along in the hobby. Dealers that can't or won't learn the realities of supply and demand have to fold the tent after a time. Competition among dealers is fierce and only the most savvy survive. A successful old time coin dealer once told me, "don't ever pay more for a coin than a dealer will pay."

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

edited April 7, 2021 7:25PM

.> @mr1874 said:

@mr1874 said:

Not wrong. Dealer will pay top dollar for coin he thinks he can sell within reasonable time frame at a profit. What dealer(s) will pay is reflective of the realities of supply and demand. You'll learn this as you go along in the hobby. Dealers that can't or won't learn the realities of supply and demand have to fold the tent after a time. Competition among dealers is fierce and only the most savvy survive. A successful old time coin dealer once told me, "don't ever pay more for a coin than a dealer will pay."

Come on man! Read what you wrote. A dealer is not going to pay more than what he can sell it for a profit. Hello!

You just proved my point. A seller will make more money selling it to a buyer directly and eliminating the middleman (dealer).

And don't tell me I have something to learn regarding selling a coin. You don't know me.

You keep selling your coins to dealers🤫

edited April 7, 2021 11:05PM

Boys, boys? No fighting, now. :)
    Bottom line for any sale on any coin. Nobody really knows what may ever happen in this crazy hobby. Did you guys read my newer thread about the "sale" on Ebay? Can we say, $50,000? :D

@joeykoins said:
    Boys, boys? No fighting, now. :)
    Bottom line for any sale on any coin. Nobody really knows what may ever happen in this crazy hobby. Did you guys read my newer thread about the "sale" on Ebay? Can we say, $50,000? :D

Fighting? Nah....just a lively discussion 😂🤣

edited April 8, 2021 9:43AM

@airplanenut said:

I stand by what I said

Love the stuff. I even brew it at home. It is cheaper. Only $30 a cup. :D

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful story and results. Between this and the toned American Silver Eagle Joey located, I wonder why others have to crap on his excitement and exhilaration. Have we become that jaded, or is it something else?

peacockcoins

• nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2021 9:54AM

Congratulations Joey.
    It’s nice to see you score after all your efforts!
    I’m still holding a few modern issues that were at one time VERY hot, now in hindsight, I’m wishing I had sold them ALL rather than holding a few sets. Mine are proof ASE’s that are more prone to environmental changes and milk spots- so a bit higher risk too.
    My gut feeling is that if and when more of these are graded and show up in the market, the prices may fall some.
    A good point of consideration and reference might be similarly graded examples of similar modern quarters- to see where their prices settle.
    I’m not into modern stuff but I bet many others here are very much on top of that.
    They may even be some of those folks advising you to take profits sooner rather than later.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

edited April 8, 2021 4:29PM

@nwcoast said:

They may even be some of those folks advising you to take profits sooner rather than later.

Why, thank you for the Congrats. What you're saying does make sense, just as the vast majority that's been telling me similar. All you guys are probably right?
    But you see, I'm a optimist, as most here know. One has to remember, this relatively new subject of "W" Quarters, has never been issued before. Esp. sent free into circulation. This is like a special toy or gift in some cereal box that all of us "kids" are hoping to catch! Exclusive. And the fact, that there are only 2,000,000 of these each? Come on, guys. To me, this can be the beginning of something BIG! Not like other coins that start out big than fall big time like most are suggesting. Who knows, right? We all must wait and see. I'm gambling on the better more than the worse. Just my opinion. Thanks guys. ;)
    In the meantime, I think I'll be holding on to mine? Lol

edited April 8, 2021 10:30AM

I have generally regretted selling my cherrypicks or "made" grades.

New policy of mine is a box of 20 for each year.

I still sell coins, but with an eye towards recouping cost of my Box of 20..

Worked too hard just to sell those you appreciate the most.

• truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2021 8:16PM

Sell it
    and take the money and run

edited April 9, 2021 7:31AM

You just proved my point. A seller will make more money selling it to a buyer directly and eliminating the middleman (dealer).

Well, nothing I say is going to change your mind. I stand by what I have said. The fact of the matter is that ebay is kind of a fake market. It's true that sellers can sometimes make serious money selling to the many bidiots on ebay. When time comes for that bidiot buyer to sell, however, many a bidiot who has grossly overpaid for an item will learn a hard lesson about the realities of the real coin market. All sellers on ebay are not bad apples. I have made many a satisfactory transaction with ebay sellers but the sellers I deal with are a very select group. Buy it Now works best for me. Either I think the item is worth what the seller is asking or I don't. Sometimes, there is a best offer option for the buyer to avail himself of. fyi, there is practically no room at all on ebay for a buyer to buy an item there and then list it there as a seller in an attempt to make a profit. Don't believe me? Give it a try and learn that way.

Have you ever taken a coin that you paid x dollars for on ebay and then taken it to B&M dealers or show dealers to entertain offers for said coin? Try that. You are under no obligation to sell the item to any dealer you might get an offer from, of course.

Hello! indeed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file