Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

THE FINAL 14 TRUE VIEWS ARE UP - Well,................. I finally took the plunge and.....

Comments

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don.

Not quite 10,000 posts.

I have 136 more post to go before I crack the 10,000 mark. At the rate I am posting I will not crack 10,000 posts until after the new year. :)

• Options
    nagsnags Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭

How close were you with your own grades?

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

We will just call you "Eagle Eye" @SanctionII
    Nice grades can't wait for the T/Vs.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

Nags.

My grades were very close.

My own grades matched the PCGS grades on three half dollars.

For the other five half dollars my own grades were two points low, one point low, one point low, one point low and one point high.

I thought 5 coins would receive a CAM designation. PCGS awarded a CAM designation to 6 coins.

It will be interesting to see how the other 21 coins grade and compare same with my own grades.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII
    1 coin submitted for restoration. 14 coins submitted Economy. 6 coins submitted Modern.

Please post before and after restoration pics. Great 8 coin results.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

Created Registry Sets today for the 14 coin 1950-1963 Proof Franklin set and for the 16 coin 1950-1963 Proof Franklin's Major Varieties set.

Both sets will be 100% complete when the remaining coins in my 29 coin submission are graded.

Fun stuff.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the grades! Well done!

• Options

True View photos of the 8 graded coins have been posted. They can be seen in the three Registry Sets I started.

Proof Franklin Set.

Proof Franklin Set with Major Varieties.

1941 Proof Set.

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Walker is pretty great!

All of your Franklin's are very worthy of their CAM designations...though I agree the 1961 probably didn't deserve the designation; it had to be a consideration. The 50, 53, & 58 wouldn't have surprised me to be in DCAM holders.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coins! You definitely have the eye!

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet looking coins and TVs!!!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are gorgeous coins buddy. That Walker has some superb eye appeal. Your Franklin proof are a show stopper. I know you have been working on this set for years and it shows.
    Happy hunting my coin brother 👍👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

It appears that another of the 29 coins I submitted (this one was sent in for evaluation and possible restoration) has progressed past grading and is being encapsulated.

Two other groups (14 coins sent in Economy; and 6 coins sent in Modern) are still in the grading phase.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2021 10:58PM

@SanctionII said:
    Don.
    Not quite 10,000 posts.

I have 136 more post to go before I crack the 10,000 mark. At the rate I am posting I will not crack 10,000 posts until after the new year. :)

You know that when you hit the 10,000 posts, you’re required to do a “Giveaway”. Perhaps one of those absolutely gorgeous Franklin Cameos?

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2021 10:55PM

…I love the 420 start to all those certs…looks like it’s time for a submission myself…also, if anybody is grading their own coins 2 points lower then PCGS grades them, they aren’t loving them enough ;)

Edit to add: Pssst, don’t tell your coin dealer about those grades either 😂

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

lovely group.

gotta be a good day when you post a 61 ddr like that!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

7 more of the 29 coins I submitted are now being imaged and encapsulated. Maybe the grades on these 7 coins will post this week.

The remaining 14 coins (submitted Economy) are still being graded.

• Options

Another grade posted today.

1954 half. Graded PF66CAM.

This was sent in for restoration to attempt to remove light tan toning on part of the reverse.

I thought it could possibly be a no grade due to environmental damage. Looking forward to receiving it in the mail in the next few days.

Another six coins should have grades posted later this week.

14 others are still being graded under the economy level service.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice good eye.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the proof walker. Can’t wait to see the rest of that set!

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

GORGEOUS!
    The cameos are stunning.
    Love them and the True Views!
    That Walker is really exceptionally SWEET!
    👍👍👍

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options

The 1954 PF66CAM half was delivered today.

Unfortunately (and as I expected) the haze/toning on the reverse of the coin was not removed. It would not surprise me to learn that for a coin such as this, a grade of 66 is the maximum grade it would ever receive.

Absent the haze/toning I could see the coin grading much higher.

The True View photo of this coin will likely be available in the next week or so. Take a look and give your thoughts/opinions.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    The 1954 PF66CAM half was delivered today.

Unfortunately (and as I expected) the haze/toning on the reverse of the coin was not removed. It would not surprise me to learn that for a coin such as this, a grade of 66 is the maximum grade it would ever receive.

Absent the haze/toning I could see the coin grading much higher.

The True View photo of this coin will likely be available in the next week or so. Take a look and give your thoughts/opinions.

I am not quite sure what is up with PCGS conservation lately, I sent something in and they did absolutely nothing with it besides charge me way too much money.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

The 1965 - 1970 SMS and Proof Kennedies arrived today.

The 15 coins I have received so far look great in their holders.

The remaining 14 coins now show up as "Being Imaged". Hopefully this next week they will move from grading to encapsulation.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love your honesty with yourself.

peacockcoins

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, any pictures of that 57 in 68CAM?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    edited June 7, 2021 12:22PM

True View photos of all 29 coins will eventually be available for viewing.

I have collected these types of coins "in the wild" since returning to the hobby as an adult in 1998.

My submission is more than anything an experiment. I wanted to compare my own personal grade opinions to that of our host. It appears that overall my personal grade opinions are fairly close to that of our host.

10 of the 26 coins I personally graded matched the PCGS grades.

9 of the 26 my personal grades were low.

7 of the 26 my personal grades were high.

22 out of 26 of my personal grades either matched or were within 1 point high or 1 point low.

PCGS and I both agreed that 17 out of the 22 half dollars from 1950-1967 deserved at least a CAM designation.

What the above all means, I have no clue. After I receive the 14 coins back and look at True View photos of the 29 coins I will post my final thoughts.

Thanks to all who have replied to this thread and who have sent me PMs.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    Update time.

I received grades on 8 coins I submitted under a regular submission.

1941 Walker - PF65

1950 Franklin - PF65CAM

1951 Franklin - PF64CAM

1952 Franklin - PF65CAM

1953 Franklin - PF65CAM

1955 Franklin - PF68CAM

1958 Franklin - PF67CAM

1961 Franklin DDR - PF67.

Great results, especially the 1961 DDR.

Looking forward to seeing Trueviews of these coins, plus receiving grades on the other 21 coins I submitted.

Nice! Congratulations and well done.

• Options
    NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kevin,

Thanks for sharing this information with us so we can all be more educated about grading proofs. Congrats on the grades and look forward to the TrueView's.

• Options
    edited June 7, 2021 8:43PM

Just added the 14 coins to my Registry Sets.

I sit at #15 for the Proof Franklins with Major Varieties set, #51 with the Proof Franklin's basic set, #44 with the 1941 Proof set and #96 with the 8 coin Kennedy 64-70 silver short set.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:

What the above all means, I have no clue. After I receive the 14 coins back and look at True View photos of the 29 coins I will post my final thoughts.

It means that anyone wondering whether their coins warrant the cost of grading could do far, far worse than run them past you.

• Options

True View of the 1954 PF66CAM.

If only the reverse could be successfully conserved.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

You've got some lovely proofs!!!

• Options
    NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SkyMan said:
    You've got some lovely proofs!!!

I can attest to that since I have seen them first hand.

• Options

All 29 coins are now back and in my hands.

Now waiting for the remaining True View photos to post.

• Options

6 more True View photos have been posted. They are of the 6 Kennedy half dollars from 1965-1970.

In another week or two True View photos of the 14 coins that had their grades posted on 6-7-2021 should be posted.

• Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, very nice group of Kennedys! I can't even decide which one I like best, they are all equally impressive.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding stuff! I particularly like the Walker and the 1961 PR DDR-001 half dollars.

• Options
    dan_marinellidan_marinelli Posts: 195 ✭✭✭

I really like the walker, that color is outstanding!

Successful transactions here and ATS with: jwitten, Rob41281, bajjerfan, cucamongacoin, Jim F., physics-fan3.14, x2rider, Wahoo554, Weather11am, Relaxn, jimineez1, Ronyahski, Bliggity, SurfinxHI, McGrump (thru BAJJERFAN), ms71, Downtown1974, ad4400

• Options

Trueview photos of the final 14 coins of the 29 coin submission have been posted.

Will wrap up this thread in a couple of days after I review the final photos.

Your final thoughts and comments are requested.

• Options

Here are the True View photos of the 1941 cent, nickel, dime and quarter.

• Options
    edited June 21, 2021 4:03PM

Here are the True View photos of the 1956 Type 1, 1956 Type 2, 1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962 and 1963 half dollars.

• Options

Here are he True View photos forthe 1964 AH and the 1964 halves.

• Options
    edited June 22, 2021 9:21AM

28 of the 29 coins I sumbitted for grading were all raw purchases over the years. The 1950 half was purchased slabbed 16 years ago. It was in a PCI holder and graded 67 CAM.

Overall I am pleased with my first submission.

However I am unable to explain how the 1950 to 1970 Proof and SMS half dollars were graded either brilliant (1959, 1961 DDR 1961 and 1964 AH), CAM (1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956 TYPE 2, 1957, 1958, 1960, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965 SMS, 1966 SMS and 1967 SMS) and DCAM (1968, 1969 and 1970).

In other words I do not know what the dividing lines are between Brilliiant and Cameo; and between Cameo and DCAM. Likely no one else does either :)

One coin I felt should not have received a CAM designation and it did.

One coin I thought would CAM did not.

Though I hoped that one or more of the 1959, 1961 DDR and 1964 AH would receive a CAM designation it does not surprise me that they did not.

I thought that the 1956 TYPE 2, the 1960 and the 1963 Proofs warranted a DCAM designation. They did not receive same.

I had hoped that the 1965 SMS half would DCAM, but it's fields were just not good enough.

One day I may consider resubmitting one or more coins for a regrade. Will have to evaulate these coins against other PCGS graded coins of the same date.

The 1941 toned proof set is very eye appealing. In hand the coins look more attractive than the True View photos of them, especially the dime and the half.

My next submissions will include my best 1950-1970 Proof and SMS minors; and some 7070 Type Set Album Coins.

Thanks for participating in this thread and providing your thoughts and comments.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file