Home U.S. Coin Forum

Why do some token have holes in them?

yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do some token have holes in them?

Kinda stupid question... but would like to know. Guessing to contrast legal tender.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

Comments

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure about that example but most tokens with a hole in the usual spot around 12K are there because the token or medal was meant to be worn with a ribbon attached.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably because it makes it more difficult to counterfeit since it requires a special punch to make a hole of the type used.
    Store owners regarded these as cash and took precautions to avoid being cheated.

All glory is fleeting.
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could also show a cancelation punch. A lot of tokens are rare, because the owners of the business buried or destroyed the tokens rather than continue to accept them in trade.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

With scrip, which is what you have there, each company had their own design often with a number or symbol punch and some were solid. Companies that had multiple stores would often have a different punch design or number for each store.

Here’s a pic of some Scrip from Lincoln Hill, PA. and a few others just as examples.

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grew up in this little village... and never recall any store tokens from here. I guess with the restricted market/population they were not necessary. Yes, I have googled looking for them... no results. Cheers, RickO

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you!

A good day when you can learn something new!

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DNADave said:
    With scrip, which is what you have there, each company had their own design often with a number or symbol punch and some were solid. Companies that had multiple stores would often have a different punch design or number for each store.

Here’s a pic of some Scrip from Lincoln Hill, PA. and a few others just as examples.

Almost like cattle branding ...

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

This piece, which was from Martin Van Buren's 1840 re-election campaign still has the original string, which was used to hang it on a shirt or coat, with it.

All but one or two examples of this 1864 Lincoln piece, which is also listed as a Civil War token, are holed. This one still has the ring with it, which is unusual, but I have never seen one that was attached to anything else. This piece also has its original goldish colored plating or coating.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great info here to learn from..........I learned something,
    thanks all :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2021 9:29AM

I always thought it was for the wearing. The Virginia City, NV 1959 centennial celebration medal came both ways, one with a hole at 12 for a chain and one with no hole. The no hole examples are scarce if not rare as they were given to dignitaries only and not sold to the public as the holed ones were.
    I used to have both examples but don't know where they are now, perhaps I sold them or pulled a @FredWeinberg and lost them.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • SenateSaloonSenateSaloon Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

At least for merchant trade tokens (“good for” tokens), it was not uncommon to have various shaped holes in the tokens as a design feature. Yes, some were counter-punched after use, but many more just had it as part of the design.

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you think any of them made the holes so they could remelt the metal after they punched them out to save money and be able to make more tokens?

Mr_Spud

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2021 1:26PM

Here's one that I really like:

Board of Trade, Nome, Alaska - Good For 12½ in Trade

@Mr_Spud said:
    Do you think any of them made the holes so they could remelt the metal after they punched them out to save money and be able to make more tokens?

These were not made of precious metals I doubt it was worth the effort.

edited April 3, 2021 1:52PM

@DNADave said:

I'm a big fan of scrip tokens and all these various punch designs.

Of note, the tokens would often have blank areas on them designed to be punched in those locations.

To learn more, checkout the National Scrip Collectors Association (NSCA):

http://nationalscripcollectors.org/index.php/about-nsca/

• SenateSaloonSenateSaloon Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

That’s an awesome Alaska token. Must be super rare.

@Zoins said:
    Here's one that I really like:

Board of Trade, Nome, Alaska - Good For 12½ in Trade

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file