Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

RIP Marilyn Van Allen - Obituary Link Added

messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 3, 2021 10:21PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Leroy Van Allen's wife Marilyn passed away a couple days ago. She had been living in a memory care facility and was Leroy and her son at the time. For much of last year, she and Leroy weren't able to see each other except through a window, talking on the phone when her condition allowed, so he was happy to have been able to receive his COVID vaccines by early February. Marilyn (Tiernan) was one of the first people hired for Coin World's Collector's Clearinghouse column in the early 1960s, eventually becoming editor of the column, and staying with the column through the early 1990s.

Edit: Added link to obituary.

Comments

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

my condolences to every one

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news :'(

Wishing Leroy & family all the best.

Thanks for posting messydesk.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't recognize the name at first, but thanks to the Collections Clearinghouse reference I realize that I was very familiar with her work and may have corresponded with her many years ago in that capacity.

• Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences to Leroy and family.

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news. I met Leroy a couple of times through the years.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sad. I worked with Marilyn for several years when I worked at Collectors Clearinghouse. She was a very nice lady.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2021 3:53PM

This brought up memories of my dad who died about a year ago. So lucky I cared for him the last couple months while my mother was in rehab unit.

I remember the last night before he was admitted to the hospital. He would not sleep, and was suspicious and only half way convinced I was his son. He died a week later and a few days before they locked the hospital down for Covid.

What he said shocked me because he never spoke about faith.

"All you got to do is ask God for forgiveness. You know God loves you and will forgive you."

My thoughts and prayers to their family and friends.

Apologies for any perceived self indulgence.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Visiting through a window..... Sad. R.I.P.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences to the family, very sorry to hear of the circumstances.

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    Visiting through a window..... Sad. R.I.P.

Indeed, and there were times when her condition didn't even allow that. More recent visits could be in person, but masked and distant, and touch-and-go as they can be when dealing with dementia patients, and I'll bet seeing nothing but masked faces doesn't help with that. I met her once at the 2007 ANA show, where Leroy received his ANA Lifetime Achievement Award. About 6-8 of us went out for dinner together one night after the show. Very nice, classy lady.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad to hear. Back in the early 70's I made 3 trips to the Coin World offices at the invitation of Ed Fleischmann who worked there. He along with Jim Johnson and Marilyn ran the Coin Collectors Clearinghouse department. All 3 couldn't of been more courteous and helpful to me in my error coin collecting interest. I took pictures of all 3 in the office. Still have them. I wish I was adept at posting pictures as I would post the pixs of Mr. Johnson, Ed, and Marilyn. You always, or at least should, remember the kind/helpful folks you meet along the way. I will always remember my 3 CW visits and those 3 great people who offered nothing but encouragement and shared their knowledge with me. Deepest regards to the Van Allen family in their time of sorrow.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences to family and friends.... RickO

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Very sad to hear. Back in the early 70's I made 3 trips to the Coin World offices at the invitation of Ed Fleischmann who worked there. He along with Jim Johnson and Marilyn ran the Coin Collectors Clearinghouse department. All 3 couldn't of been more courteous and helpful to me in my error coin collecting interest. I took pictures of all 3 in the office. Still have them. I wish I was adept at posting pictures as I would post the pixs of Mr. Johnson, Ed, and Marilyn. You always, or at least should, remember the kind/helpful folks you meet along the way. I will always remember my 3 CW visits and those 3 great people who offered nothing but encouragement and shared their knowledge with me. Deepest regards to the Van Allen family in their time of sorrow.

That was upstairs on the 3rd floor of the old building downtown, overlooking the Courthouse Square! I visited there several times myself between 1971 and 1973, and made up my mind that I was going to work there someday. I actually got i there in the Spring of 1974, just before we moved to the new boring building out on the edge of town. But I made it!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

That was upstairs on the 3rd floor of the old building downtown, overlooking the Courthouse Square! I visited there several times myself between 1971 and 1973, and made up my mind that I was going to work there someday. I actually got i there in the Spring of 1974, just before we moved to the new boring building out on the edge of town. But I made it!

You are correct in regard to the old offices. When you walked in that office to the far left corner was where Mr. Johnson sat. Marilyn sat near Mr. Johnson. Ed was in the far right corner facing the street. When I visited I sat at the desk in another corner opposite Ed. If you stood in the entrance way it would of been the corner looking straight ahead far right. My first visit there included a 20 hour bus ride, due to delays/connections. A ride I will never forget, but it was well worth it.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

The few days I was there I was in that spare desk by the door. As I recall the room was about 10 feet by 12 feet, but it couldn’t have been.......

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

• Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file