Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Goo Gone

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is Goo Gone any help on removing sticky stuff such as tape and the like on coins? Does it do any permanent damage to coins? Seems like I used it years ago, but can't remember for sure.
Has anyone ever established a set of steps for utilizing acetone. How much, how long, must the coin stand on its edge or lying down, should you gently use a cotton swab or not and if so is just dabbing it and not moving it back and forth the prescribed method? Does room temperature matter? Do you just use warm or cold tap water to rinse or must you use distilled water. There are a lot of steps and if someone has become proficient at its use, I believe it would help all for this knowledge. Many have stated use it, but with very little if any steps to follow. What all will it really do for the surface of the coin and what damage might it do for prolonged use or multiple uses? Thanks.
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2021 5:37PM

I've used it before to remove old scotch tape and such. It's better at attacking stuff like that and does not do any damage. It really doesn't require any special technique.

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never used goo gone on coins. I use acetone for sticky on coins & have had no issues. I just put the coin in a small glass dish with acetone and swirl gently for a little while. Then I just take the coin out & the acetone evaporates on it's own.

You can use rubbing alcohol too. I've never had issues with it taking sticky off. Same way as above.

• Options
    Bruce7789Bruce7789 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭

The only thing is when using Acetone on a high grade coin to remove glue, grease, etc. it as it evaporates, it will still leave a little residue on the coin surface. Pat it off while still wet with a soft rag like an old tee shirt and you may have to dip it again in clean Acetone to get the final residue off. Do NOT rub the coin!

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

As mentioned previously, two dips in Acetone works nicely to get rid of glue and possible glue residue left after first dip. Acetone does evaporate quickly, thats why two dips. I don't know if goo gone is any good on pvc but acetone certainly is. No rubbing.

I recently treated a key date Buffalo Nickel (1913-S Type 2) for pvc contamination with acetone. After acetone dips i immersed the piece in high grade evoo for a few minutes and then patted it dry with microfiber cloth. I don't recommend that one use paper towel for any drying that one might think is necessary regardless of solvent used.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used Goo Gone with no problems
    Just like so many other things follow the simple rules
    Don't rub and Pat dry
    I see no problem with a follow up with acetone dip!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

removing sticky stuff such as tape and the like

WD-40

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options
    Samuel8Samuel8 Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

@bronzemat said:
    I've never used goo gone on coins. I use acetone for sticky on coins & have had no issues. I just put the coin in a small glass dish with acetone and swirl gently for a little while. Then I just take the coin out & the acetone evaporates on it's own.

You can use rubbing alcohol too. I've never had issues with it taking sticky off. Same way as above.

What's the difference between acetone and 70% rubbing alcohol that everybody have in their houses during the pandemic?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

30% water and acetone seems to react more

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone on coins, will remove organics. Will not harm the metal. Do not rub the surface, rinse with alcohol then hot running water. Using other chemicals will likely affect the surface unless completely neutralized/removed. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pure acetone is inert and does not react with metal. Goo gone is citrus oil which probably contains some level of citric acid. Acid bad. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2021 1:02PM

Acetone is my go to solution always. Goo gone, once in a great while. Just bought a gallon of acetone. Lol. :)
    Yes, forgot to mention. Don't use acetone on plastic. NEVER! Perry Hall reminded me. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never touch the stuff.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    :)

I'm beginning to think these threads about amateur chemistry are a bad thing.

lol. I mentioned caesium 137 in a thread in the PM forum and picked up a new troll.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Acetone on coins, will remove organics. Will not harm the metal. Do not rub the surface, rinse with alcohol then hot running water. Using other chemicals will likely affect the surface unless completely neutralized/removed. Cheers, RickO

Gets rid of that ugly rainbow tarnish as well. :)

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

I've found with all the hand sanitizer I have around which is mostly alcohol anyways - it does a good job at removing sticky tape residue off of plastic things and glass countertops, and unlike acetone doesn't seem to harm plastics.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2021 11:28AM

@PerryHall said:
    Don't ever use acetone to take sticker residue off a slab. It will melt the plastic and ruin the slab.

That might be where Goo Gone comes in.

But, use it sparingly as it has a way of spreading. I actually just put a tiny amount on a paper towel and pat it on the sticky stuff and let it sit for a moment.

Actually, my first technique for removing sticky residue from smooth surfaces is to use a small piece of packing tape. I pat or roll the tape across the area. It usually pulls up adhesive residue.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go with Acetone. Goo be gone works on slabs to remove label glue residues.
    Wayne :)

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bruce7789 said:
    The only thing is when using Acetone on a high grade coin to remove glue, grease, etc. it as it evaporates, it will still leave a little residue on the coin surface. Pat it off while still wet with a soft rag like an old tee shirt and you may have to dip it again in clean Acetone to get the final residue off. Do NOT rub the coin!

Put a little acetone into a spray bottle and hold the coin on edge between your thumb and forefinger and spray the acetone over the coin both sides. Catch the wash acetone in a clean glass vessel and save it in another clean bottle to use to soak again. The first acetone soak should be discarded.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Don't ever use acetone to take sticker residue off a slab. It will melt the plastic and ruin the slab.

True. Never used Goo Gone, but Ronsonol is awesome for removing sticker glue from slabs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file