Home U.S. Coin Forum

For the Zincoln aficionados:

What differentiates an MS69RD example from an MS68RD example? MS68's seem to be perfect in and of themselves.

Comments

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cuprinkor said:
    What differentiates an MS69RD example from an MS68RD example? MS68's seem to be perfect in and of themselves.

I am not sure, but you bring up a great point. If a 68 is essentially perfect, why spend the extra money on a 69? Other than registry points or just needing to have the best I can't think of a reason. Best can be very subjective in this case.

Collector, occasional seller

• truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Absolutely nothing other than bragging rights

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Set Registry preferences.
    Wayne :)

Kennedys are my quest...

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 69 is one louder.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 199 ✭✭✭

I guess what I'm asking is, "How does PCGS decide whether an essentially perfect Zincoln merits the MS68RD or MS69RD grade.?"

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cuprinkor said:
    I guess what I'm asking is, "How does PCGS decide whether an essentially perfect Zincoln merits the MS68RD or MS69RD grade.?"

Maybe they use a, nevermind. >:)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you look at some of the Coin fact images it is easy to see. You will see plenty of 68's that are not perfect. Here is one of mine it's a 68 with several marks and spots. I haven't quite yet figured out their system of equating grades but I think it has something to do with the strike and luster weighed against the hits and spots. And of course the size of the hits and spots. Then throw in the years that they are more or less forgiving. Moreover, the difference is in the thickness of the strike. I have several 06's saved, would never have them graded because of all the damage but I use them for reference to the strike.

Another thing I have noticed with 69's is they almost always have that smooth surface typical of a mint pack coin.
    I think the answer your really after is, what it is difference between 69 and 70. There is a video on the site.

So with this one maybe it could have been of 69 quality without the flaws. Or maybe its just the low end of 68.
    In hand looks much better might I add.

Here is another with a very weak strike and lots of spots but with a ton of luster, granted it's a 67 but you wouldn't think that that coin would even hit a 67. The luster carried it. So take away the spots, 68, add a better strike 68+ maybe.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2021 3:01PM

I have been collecting uncirculated Zincolns for the last 3 or 4 months mainly to study them. Until now I thought of them as worthless. Stupid me. There is always something new to learn in this hobby....... Keep it fun boys and girls!

edited March 30, 2021 3:42PM

Here is another and this one came from a mint pack, MS68 looks almost flawless but look at Lincolns hair, weak strike.

Other end of the spectrum and on copper. These three are 66's but they look like 63's - Strike is very strong and most noticeable on the date and the luster is decent. But they look like parking lot damage and as with most of my coins thus far, tuition.

@ChrisH821 said:

@Cuprinkor said:

I am not sure, but you bring up a great point. If a 68 is essentially perfect, why spend the extra money on a 69? Other than registry points or just needing to have the best I can't think of a reason. Best can be very subjective in this case.

Who said anything about spend :D anyway the difference is usually around 2k to 10K on the spend or make side.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The difference lies in strike, luster, magnitude or lack of hits. Grading at that level is a very discerning, practiced skill, acquired through training and extensive practice. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file