Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would you rather see a collection in the same TPG slab or does it matter (visually)?

ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭

Would you rather see a collection in the same TPG slab or does it matter (visually)?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - having all the same TPG slab is more visually appealing to me

I like conformity. All of my coins are (or soon will be) in the same slab.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same slab is more attractive, but not the end of the world

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Confucius say:
    Buy coin not holder. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No - it's all about the coins and having different TPG slabs in the display does not matter

I like a variety of slabs including different generations of NGC, PCGS, ICG, and ANACS slabs. I also have a few PCI, Blanchard, Accugrade, SEGS, etc.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No - it's all about the coins and having different TPG slabs in the display does not matter

For me, it is the coin....not the holder, the labels, the TPG etc.... That being said, collect what you like and have fun, I do. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same TPG, same green sticker, same look for each coin in the set (same OCD since a child).

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    Confucius say:

Always buy the coin, the question is then - to cross or not to cross

• Options

@astrorat said:
    Asking a question to a group of compulsive maniacs about consistency within a collection? What kinda answer you think you gunna get? ;)

Exactly!

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't vote yet because if you mean display as in a competitive/educational display, it would be more eye appealing if all the slabs were the same. In my collection it doesn't matter to me what slab they're in as long as I like the coin.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted all the same slab, visually it’s more appealing and uniform, but my collection is a good mix of PCGS and NGC, even a few small white ANACS. I like the variety of holders and generations I will admit.

With regards to currency, I’m strictly PMG.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2021 4:08PM

As long as it’s either PCGS or NGC, it doesn’t matter.

Also, I think it's more important to have coins that match in quality (i.e. similar grades) rather than holders.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

as long as it looks uniform....

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's all about the coins. Since almost all of them are in a safe deposit box, what is there to display, other than in an exhibit? If I lose points because some coins are PCGS and other are NGC, that's the way it goes. Any judge who does that is small minded and will probably find something else to ding me for.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

For presentation purposes, I like all the same holder. For my collecting purposes, I'm all over the board. If I were loaded and had a collection worth putting on display, I'd probably make them match.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ultimately I don’t care but having it in the same does appeal to my OCD nature...

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

for me i could care less what slab the coin is in if the coin gets my notice it's got

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

For just random pieces in my collection, it doesn’t matter to me. For sets, I prefer the same holder just for continuity and aesthetics. It takes longer to assemble sets this way though.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

As was previously stated plus sometimes it is just not feasible, moneywise, to spend several hundred dollars getting coins crossed over. It would be different if they made an effort to provide low budget pricing for crossovers for their customers, but it appears they cannot afford to either. So while I like all being in the same holder, I will have to stick with my 15 ngc and anacs holders in my walker collection.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, buy the coin, not the holder, and there are great coins in all slabs, but if you're talking about optimizing the visual appeal of a slabbed collection, having all the same slab is necessary. A mix of slabs of varying sizes and colors is visually distracting. If you were talking about displaying a collection of slabs, I'd say to have all the same type of coin within them for the same reason.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it's interesting that one-third of the replies say it's the coin that's important, yet many of those same members probably are "slab" collectors where apparently it's the plastic that counts.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've generally never liked the look of coins when surrounded by opaque white plastic. YMMV.

• Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    Yeah, buy the coin, not the holder, and there are great coins in all slabs, but if you're talking about optimizing the visual appeal of a slabbed collection, having all the same slab is necessary. A mix of slabs of varying sizes and colors is visually distracting. If you were talking about displaying a collection of slabs, I'd say to have all the same type of coin within them for the same reason.

Yes, I agree completely with this.

I select the coins I buy based on the coins themselves, but always have an eye on everything being graded eventually by PCGS.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check the sig line

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Exbrit said:

@Namvet69 said:
    Confucius say:

Always buy the coin, the question is then - to cross or not to cross

Waste of money imo.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2021 3:58PM

I personally prefer a PCGS slabs but I care more about the coin. In my opinion the coin is the masterpiece on display, not the slab. If the coin is nice enough who cares if it is PCGS or NGC.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote for this collection :)

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

I voted No, even though a set of matched slabs would actually look a little nicer.
    It just seems like a fool's effort to try and keep up with that. Practically, you would have to use a current slab design to be able to update, and so destroy any nice old holders, and then waste time/money/mental energy/whatever chance of damage on crossing anything you got in the wrong looking slab.
    There are exceptions. If I had DLH or Tyrant sized pockets, and I wanted to make a public display that would really wow people, sure, it would make a better display. Or tdn's dollar set, all those similar size coins in similar looking slabs looked really nice. But mostly, it seems like effort that could be spent on more interesting things, like the coins.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

All PCGS for me.

Doesn't mean that I don't buy ANACS or NGC, but those are typically for a variety, flipping, crossing, or study.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2021 5:33PM

@Zoins said:

This display mitigates the visual inconsistency of having multiple TPG slabs by using consistent, large photos to make the look more uniform. It's also quite effective.

• Options
    edited March 30, 2021 7:27PM

The big reason I'm okay with mixed slabs is that I don't have a favorite slab.

1. PCGS - clearest plastic but feet make them hard to store for me.
    2. NGC - easy to stack but plastic gets scratched and dull easily.
    3. ANACS - nice clear ring and top-read label but feels a large a bit awkward.
    4. ICG - good slab for stacking and clarity but not as clear as PCGS and lack of market share.
    5. SEGS - okay slab but not as clear as PCGS and feels a bit large.

If PCGS could find a way to get rid of the feet (turning them into rails like others TPGs) and add a top read label, they would be perfect.

That and I'm waiting for PCGS to support DMPL for all tokens and medals like they do for Morgans, ATB pucks and territorial gold.

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2021 7:35PM

Not voting, BUT, with that being said, I do prefer my coins in PCGS Holders. Not gonna shy my eyes away from a nicely matched mixed holdered set though. JS B)

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2021 6:11AM

Match the coins not the holders. btw, The Whitman short boxes nicely hold the slabs from ALL three major TPG's plus the Coin World Premier self slabs. The short boxes will hold 20 slabs.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

It's about the coin, not the plastic...

• Options

If it’s about the slab it should be about the slab.

I’d love to see a collection in NGC black or PCGS Doily holders.

• Options

The quality of the coins is not the question. Always pick the best coin, but that aside - does it matter visually for a collection to be in the same type slab?

• Options

@Zoins said:

I like this presentation - it minimizes the impact of different looking slabs while maximizing the overall appearance. Nice!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file