Home Precious Metals
Options

one of the most beautiful designs for modern silver bullion

ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

stunning design - both obv & rev - for this 2021 bullion issue from the royal australian mint

50,000 mintage limit, 1 oz .999 silver - had to pick a few up

any other beautiful bullion designs you're aware of? feel free to share em

Comments

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@dpoole said:
    A little too busy for me.

I can see that - something about all the natural shapes; all the texture just really works for me

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not have too many bullion coins, but I like this one (the viking ship), made after the 50p note:

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options

@1984worldcoins oh man - definitely love the noble designs - simple, regal, sharp design

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

The design was made by Leslie Lindsey ( I was able to contact him, he lives in France) and he told me that he was the student of Arnold Machin, who designed the second portrait of the Queen. So here is a coin designed by a teacher and his student!

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2021 6:39AM

I am a fan of the Aussie stuff, roo and an emu, not bad. Thought it was a kook initially. They have a gold one too.

• Options

@1984worldcoins said:
    The design was made by Leslie Lindsey ( I was able to contact him, he lives in France) and he told me that he was the student of Arnold Machin, who designed the second portrait of the Queen. So here is a coin designed by a teacher and his student!

wow!! thank you so much for sharing that background - what a thread of talent weaving through those designs 💥

• Options

@DrBuster said:
    I am a fan of the Aussie stuff, roo and an emu, not bad. Thought it was a kook initially. They have a gold one too.

I'm a hot and cold fan of aussie issues, but - for me - this shot right to the top of the list of aus issues I've ever seen - really impressed by the complexity and elegance of the elements in this issue

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Perth stuff I dig, have a bunch of silver stuff and some gold roos. I always forget about the Royal mint for a few years then something like this pops up.

• Options

@DrBuster said:
    The Perth stuff I dig, have a bunch of silver stuff and some gold roos. I always forget about the Royal mint for a few years then something like this pops up.

took me a yr or so to get a handle on differentiating the royal aus mint from perth mint; always thought there was one aus mint - yeah, I tend to like perth issues more than most royal aus issues, too

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those designs (OP) are interesting, though not the type that appeal to me... I lean more towards the Germania designs... I really do not collect coins of either type as a rule.... But I do enjoy looking at the pictures here. Cheers, RickO

• Options

love the germania reverses, @OPA

• Options

@3stars said:

💪 picked a couple of those up - dig that they brought the engravers series to a bullion line

• Options
    isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

It is a dilemma of mine, the "emotional" connection. When you handle silver, or gold, there is something sensory that happens. If there is no cost difference, I look at designs including the finish. I find myself checking out Scottsdale for example, mentally debating the additional premium they demand.

• Options

I hear ya, @isaiah58 - I recognize how my emotional brain overpowers my logical brain in many situations - I mean, it's probably a terrible time to buy bullion silver w the types of premiums out in the market right now, but I don't feel too bad abt picking up a few high premium pieces here and there; I'm not under the delusion I'm making a smart financial move, I just generally want to possess these things, and I own that

will say I had my eyes on picking up a couple / few of those scottsdale 20 oz kitkats a couple yrs ago, and never did because of the premium at the time - now that premium is below current spot, so 🤷 it's a crap shoot, and as long as you're enjoying the ride and not going hungry, it's all good ✌

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Way too busy for me (and they forgot to add the rainbow and unicorn....)

----- kj
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

But it is.... .....an ounce of silver. And nothing wrong with that!

----- kj
  • Options

@tincup said:
    But it is.... .....an ounce of silver. And nothing wrong with that!

for sure, not everyone's gonna love everything anyone else does, but just wanted to share what I thought was a uniquely beautiful design for bullion - understand others may feel that its uniquely hideous 😂 ... which is why I'd love to see what others feel hits high design standards for bullion - always good to learn about what I may miss otherwise

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    EdGOhioEdGOhio Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    For bullion issues...I prefer the Germania Mint's issues.

ummm...thanks a lot OPA. You made me go out and buy 2 types of these. The gold version looks fantastic too !

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.

• Albert Einstein