Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2000 P Sacagawea Dollar "Cheerios Dollar" Question !!!

Besides finding one in a box of Cheerios, were any released into circulation from the mint after the order was filled? Should collectors look for them in circulation? I guess they could make them into circulation if the party took it from the box and spent it, is a possibility..

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

No and yes.

Only in the boxes, but it was several years before they were identified as different so most were presumably spent.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Besides inclusion in the Cheerios packages, they were used at at least one press conference in October of 1999. What happened to those coins I don’t know.

Because there are some coins in Cheerios packaging that are not the pattern reverse, I suspect that some of the patterns were rejected, perhaps for spotting, perhaps not, and replaced. If so, I have no idea what happened to them.

General Mills had no records when I asked them circa 2005. The Mint denied that there was ever any change.

Many were probably spent. I get dollars from my bank and look at them.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    HiBuckyHiBucky Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Thanks Capt, That is what I wanted to know. I have a few hundred that I never looked at. I guess I will spend the time to give them a look see...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely worth checking the circulating Sacs.... I am sure many were spent before the variety was identified. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a reminder in what to look for.
    >
    .................... Cheerios .......................................................... Regular strike

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

I would like to know if this is a Sacagawea Cheerios Dollar. If so, I got it at a good price, if not, I can return it as this is the deal I made with the seller. I also checked with eBay prior to the sale.

• Options

Here's the front view!

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

@famiglietti49 said:
    Here's the front view!

Sorry, but not a Cheerios. See the photos in the post just above yours.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

not

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a Cheerios dollar. There should be more details in the tail feathers.

• Options

Not. There are many brass dollars offered on eBay as "Cheerios Dollars" because most sellers have no idea what they are talking about.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

And everybody, don't forget to keep looking for the 2014 Sacagawea obverse/ Statue of Liberty reverse mules that could possibly be in circulation.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2021 4:06PM

@CaptHenway said:
    And everybody, don't forget to keep looking for the 2014 Sacagawea obverse/ Statue of Liberty reverse mules that could possibly be in circulation.

And the 2007-S Proof Jefferson Presidential Dollar with the edge description out of sequence. Described here at the bottom of the page:

smalldollars.com/dollar/page42.html

• Options

I don't get many circulated Proofs from the bank, but I got a 2003-S Sackie the other day.

• Options

Return it as it is not a Cheerios coin :s
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Not. There are many brass dollars offered on eBay as "Cheerios Dollars" because most sellers have no idea what they are talking about.

The Sacs metal is 88.5% Copper, 6% Zinc, 3.5% Manganese, 2% Nickel. If the seller mentions the 88.5% Copper they may know what they are talking about.😉

• Options

Thanks that was my opinion also, but the seller kept saying that he got this from a coin dealer who said it was. I could see some faint lines but I was doubtful. It will be returned. I will post a closeup of the tail when i receive it just to double check with you guys and gals.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2021 5:02PM

the current pictures are clear enough.

the dealer story is obviously just a sales story. the more popular one involves father or grandfather.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

OK this guy is definitely a scammer. He has another "Cheerios" dollar up for sale, almost the same pictures says this one is from his grandfather. This is the one I got today, I will be sending it back. Here are the pics anyway!

• Options

• Options

Send it back!...Send it back!...Send it back!
    The above is in conjunction with the stomping of the feet.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    Besides inclusion in the Cheerios packages, they were used at at least one press conference in October of 1999. What happened to those coins I don’t know.

What if one of these 1999 had a pattern matching the "Cheerios" dollar? Would it still be graded by PCGS as a Cheerios or just as a 1999 pattern. Would the value be different than on a cheerios?

thanks!

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2021 5:16PM

One of my customers found one in circulation (in western NC) a couple years ago, but it had some crud on it, but he also looks at thousands of coins per day.
    I always assumed it was a cheerios dollar that was spent from the cereal box.

On a side note: Over the years, I always have thought that possibly one day, somebody would come in with loads of stuff in a collection and low and behold a cheerios dollar still in pack, but that has not happened. Have seen tons of other stuff promotion coins, and stuff going back many years, but no cheerios one.

• Options

@famiglietti49 said:

@CaptHenway said:

What if one of these 1999 had a pattern matching the "Cheerios" dollar? Would it still be graded by PCGS as a Cheerios or just as a 1999 pattern. Would the value be different than on a cheerios?

thanks!

A good question. You should ask our host.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Modwriter said:

@CaptHenway said:

The Sacs metal is 88.5% Copper, 6% Zinc, 3.5% Manganese, 2% Nickel. If the seller mentions the 88.5% Copper they may know what they are talking about.😉

Remember, it's a COPPER CORE clad with two layers

https://www.congress.gov/105/plaws/publ124/PLAW-105publ124.pdf (Section 4)

The actual composition was left up to the mint:

‘‘The dollar coin shall be golden in color, have a distinctive edge, have tactile and visual features that make the denomination of the coin readily discernible, be minted and fabricated in the United States, and have similar metallic, anti-counterfeiting properties as United States coinage in circulation on the date of enactment of the United States $1 Coin Act of 1997.’’.

https://www.usmint.gov/coins/coin-medal-programs/circulating-coins/sacagawea-golden-dollar

Specifications
    The dollar coin features distinguishing traits, including a golden color, extra-wide border, smooth edge, and specially designed alloy. The Golden Dollar is: 8.1 grams in weight, 2 mm thick, and 26.5 mm in diameter.
    The coin's physical makeup is a three-layer clad construction - pure copper sandwiched between outer layers of manganese brass. Like any brass, its color eventually becomes darker, giving the coins an antique finish. If the coins are handled frequently, the darker "patina" may wear off the high points, leaving brighter highlights that give depth to Sacagawea against the darker background.

Manganese brass composition:
    77% copper
    12% zinc
    7% manganese
    4% nickel

Golden Dollar's overall composition:
    88.5% copper
    6% zinc
    3.5% manganese
    2% nickel

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file