Home Sports Talk

What is the most iconic venue in sports history?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Throughout sports history there have been many venues MSG, Fenway, Lambeau, just to name a few. In your opinion, what is the most iconic venue in sports history?

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough call Double D! Each state must have their own opinions on this, I mean the Boston Garden and Fenway are both iconic to me and fellow New Englanders but outside of our area not to many people would agree I would think? Joe Louis Arena in Detroit if I’m going to take a stab at mentioning a place outside of my area...

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

The old Montreal Canadians and Toronto Maple Leafs gardens of the golden age.

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Historic Yankee Stadium

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭

the friendly confines of Wrigley Field. Memories of watching day baseball when the Phils played the Cubs after hurrying home from school, the ivy covered walls, and when the wind was blowing out, just lookout.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2021 4:23PM

Hockey- The Forum (Montreal)

Basketball- Boston Garden

Baseball- Wrigley Field/ Fenway/ Old Yankee Stadium. Dealers choice

Football- Lambeau

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Hockey- The Forum (Montreal)

Basketball- Boston Garden

Baseball- Wrigley Field/ Fenway/ Old Yankee Stadium. Dealers choice

Football- Lambeau

I would agree with all of these.

Wow I was way off on the joe Louis arena, I just actually googled it and didn’t realize the short history of it. Oh well I’m not a hockey guy 🤷‍♂️

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd vote Wrigley, MSG, Fenway.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Roman Coliseum

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

as much as i hate to admit it, the old Yankee stadium for baseball

The Frozen Tundra for football

The Gaaaden for Basketball. and I dont mean madison square garden.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bobbybakeriv said:
    Historic Yankee Stadium

Not even debatable.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Modern trash, all of them. F T dubs ...

Backup that still beats everything so far ...

• ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2021 8:40PM

@perkdog said:
    Wow I was way off on the joe Louis arena, I just actually googled it and didn’t realize the short history of it. Oh well I’m not a hockey guy 🤷‍♂️

Plus, the exterior was just butt ugly.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. The history of the place is one thing but......there there is no close second to the experience of being there for a football game in December. Beautiful blue sky, clouds floating overhead, snow covered mountains in the distance, L.A. skyline, 70° temperature, HOT CHICKS, and as an extra added bonus.......the RAMS!

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

i've been to a lot of sports venues in my time, but nothing beats Augusta National. nothing. the moment you set foot inside the gates, you leave the world as you know it and enter an ethereal paradise. if you know anything about The Masters, then i don't need to get into the aesthetics. the scenery is majestic.

but the breadth of the experience doesn't stop there.

anyone who works there treats you like your mere presence just made it the best day of their life. seriously. i'll never forget going to the bathroom and there was an employee inside standing next to the stall door. he had the broadest smile on his face and said, "i hope you are enjoying your day." then he opened the door for me. it was at that point i murmured to myself, "WHERE AM I."

and whereas a trip to a big 4 sporting event will set you back a pretty penny, not at ANGC. the tickets themselves are extravagant on the secondary market if you're not fortunate enough to win them directly through the lottery, but once you get to the course it's 1970s prices everywhere. i ate like a king all day long for what a single beer would cost me at a baseball/football/basketball game.

if you give even the slightest rip about golf but have never been there, you've gotta catapult it to the top of your bucket list. my recommendation would be to skip the tournament and instead focus on a Monday and/or Tuesday practice round when you can take your phone on the grounds and document the experience. it has been 7 years (hard to believe) since i went and i'm jonesing to get back.

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

Galaxy27, good choice. I have also been to Augusta and I agree it is an "Ethereal Paradise." Everything you say is spot on. And.....I've never played a round of golf in my life and have zero interest in the sport.

• electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been to Indianapolis Speedway ? I went there to see a race and the pace blew me away and no cars were on the track, the bleachers on the straight is a quarter mile long,any car guy would love to see the museum it has all of the Indy 500 winners on display with some of the most iconic racing cars of all time.

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    The old Montreal Canadians and Toronto Maple Leafs gardens of the golden age.

:)

The Big House is a must see as well.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old Chicago Stadium. Even held the 1932 NFL Championship game.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
    edited March 12, 2021 3:51PM

@electrode said:
    Has anyone been to Indianapolis Speedway ? I went there to see a race and the pace blew me away and no cars were on the track, the bleachers on the straight is a quarter mile long,any car guy would love to see the museum it has all of the Indy 500 winners on display with some of the most iconic racing cars of all time.

Yes, been there many times for race day, carb day, qualifying, etc. Dad and grandfather were both on USAC, so had a lot of "backstage" access too. It was so much better in the days of the open infield and snake pit in turn 4, backing a pickup up to the fence and popping up lawn chairs in the bed. The stands in the infield has made it much less appealing. The paddock penthouse seats were pretty awesome for high school graduation though.

ETA: Was hoping someone would mention it ;) It was going to be my third choice behind St. Andrews and Augusta.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    The Big House is a must see as well.

m

oh, that's a good one. didn't think of it.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

C'mon Larkin collector, mine wasn't modern trash.
    Nice try everyone, but I've already come up with the correct answer.
    Thousands of years after the Roman Coliseum was built, Bruce Lee fought Chuck Norris there.
    The Chariot races, the staged historic battles, the Gladiators. Nothing more iconic than that.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you need to separate the venues by sport. Many would choose a golf venue, others hockey, some football...all valid choices.

Having been born and raised about 25 miles from Boston, I'd pick Fenway Park. The history there is second to none, it just oozes incredible memories. Built in 1912, its the oldest active MLB field in use. If you haven't been to Fenway, you really haven't experienced the patina and elegance of baseball.

Watching a Yankee - Red Sox game from Green Monster Seats is the nirvana experience of MLB baseball.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wimbledon

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited March 12, 2021 6:14PM

@Darin said:
    C'mon Larkin collector, mine wasn't modern trash.
    Nice try everyone, but I've already come up with the correct answer.
    Thousands of years after the Roman Coliseum was built, Bruce Lee fought Chuck Norris there.
    The Chariot races, the staged historic battles, the Gladiators. Nothing more iconic than that.

OK, you win. I'll settle for 2nd and 3rd.

ETA: and that's only because I forgot about the Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris fight.

Churchill Downs is pretty effing special as well

m

Attending a game at Wrigley Field was always a childhood dream of mine. The dream was fulfilled about 20 years ago. Spent the entire day there during a very long rain delayed game. It was wonderful! And.... the Brats were the most delicious food I have ever had at any event!

• ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2021 11:28AM

Of the venues I have actually attended in person:

1. Augusta
    2. Wrigley
    3. Ohio Stadium
    4. Old Comiskey
    5. Fawcett Stadium, Canton, Ohio
  • coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of the venues I have attended

Ohio Stadium
    Joe Louis Arena
    Cobo Arena
    Palace of Auburn Hills
    Jack Murphy Stadium(host of three Super Bowls)
    Riverfront stadium
    Three Rivers Stadium

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

@coolstanley said:

Ohio Stadium
    Joe Louis Arena
    Cobo Arena
    Palace of Auburn Hills
    Riverfront stadium
    Three Rivers Stadium

Those are all good ones as well

Please come to the Big House one day. Wait to we are good again though

m

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

Sad to say that this one is no more. They've been tearing it down for about a month. I drove by yesterday after taking my daughter to school. The final section might have come down in the time since.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

The CU Forums

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    The CU Forums

👏👏👏👏👏

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    The CU Forums

👏👏👏👏👏

I play here.

You play here.

What else needs to be said?

😉

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. The history of the place is one thing but......there there is no close second to the experience of being there for a football game in December. Beautiful blue sky, clouds floating overhead, snow covered mountains in the distance, L.A. skyline, 70° temperature, HOT CHICKS, and as an extra added bonus.......the RAMS!

Olympics and briefly baseball too.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2021 9:38AM

I think Jack Kent Cooke was going for iconic when he built the Forum for his Lakers and LA Kings.

• In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

My dad took me to my first Rams in 1955. UCLA and USC also played there. World class track meets, concerts,
    The Pope, The Dodgers (Poor Snyder with those long fly outs to death valley in right field, Moon shots over the screen in left),
    The Raiders with the tail gate parties starting from home, parking lot, then into the game. The Olympics 1984, Jessie Owens competed there in the 1930s. The old gal has seen it all.

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Orange Bowl.

The Rose Bowl

m

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

Plus TWO Olympics and a third coming in 2028!

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2021 9:33AM

@larryallen73 said:

@Hydrant said:

Plus TWO Olympics and a third coming in 2028!

Plus a nearby Fatburger where all USC offensive/defensive linemen ate to bulk up. The only burger to give In 'n Out a run for the money. But you have to get mustard and mayo on it (and I hate mayo).