Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When $10 used to mean something!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 9, 2021 2:11AM in U.S. Coin Forum

It's amazing to think what $10 face value of gold is worth now.

Imagine what it was worth when buying a car?

Imagine a car dealer giving you a $10 discount on a car today ;)

Pics from White Wolf Coins of NY.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D Yeah.... a $10 discount on a car today.... funny.... I start with suggesting a $3K number discount.... and sometimes have worked down from there... Car dealers do not like me. Is that token gold or gilt? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin @Zoins

a little history

HOEHN MOTORS HISTORY
    Welcome to Hoehn

The family owned and operated Carlsbad Buick GMC has been a sales and service leader in Carlsbad for some of the premiere brands in the automotive world including Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Audi, Infiniti, Acura, Honda and most recently, Buick, Jaguar and Land Rover.

The Hoehn's have been in the automobile business since 1927 with the original Hoehn Chevrolet, Co. in Memphis, Tennessee. Throughout the years we have taken tremendous pride in providing our customers with a professional, personal approach to meeting and exceeding their automotive needs.

When it comes to quality automobiles in San Diego County, one name has topped the list for over 40 years - Carlsbad Buick GMC. Owned and operated by brothers Bill and Bob Hoehn, the family business has expanded considerably since its early days in Carlsbad. The boys' father Theodore W. "Bill" Hoehn originally retired in La Jolla following a successful career in the auto business in Memphis. But retirement didn't sit well with Hoehn and in 1975, he established Hoehn Motors, featuring Mercedes-Benz, Oldsmobile and a new import, Honda.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just add 2 zeros.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2021 12:34PM

I am old enough to remember when $5 was "real money." When I was kid, a $5 bill seemed like a fortune in the late 1950s and early '60s.

When my did was running his Christmas holly wreath business, the minimum wage was $1 an hour. The employees worked a $40 week for $40. This was in the mid 1950s.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    I am old enough to remember when $5 was "real money." When I was kid, a $5 bill seemed like a fortune in the late 1950s and early '60s.

When my did was running his Christmas holly wreath business, the minimum wage was $1 an hour. The employees worked a $40 week for $40. This was in the mid 1950s.

Curious,
    Are you related to the

still in business today?

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2021 12:57PM

They're still around!

peacockcoins

• Options

Very interesting, thanks for sharing that @BillJones

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    Very interesting, thanks for sharing that @BillJones

+1

• Options

Hope you don't mind me posting this @BillJones , if you do I shall remove it.

CHARLES G. JONES, “THE HOLLY WREATH MAN”

Folks in Southern Delaware took notice. Small-fry players got in the act. In downtown Milton, Henry and Eunice Burton had a general store. They started letting folks trade finished holly wreaths for staples like eggs and milk. Then they marked up the wreaths and sold them to big-city vendors.

The move that shifted things into a new gear came courtesy of the Burtons’ daughter, Virginia. She fell in love with a man named Charles G. Jones, marrying him in 1904. He quickly set about transforming himself into “The Holly Wreath Man.” Actually, Virginia thought her new husband was nuts to spend $500 hard-earned dollars on postage for promotional materials hawking natural wreaths from the “Land of Holly.” Charles won that argument, turning a cool $360 profit in that very first year.

He was a brilliant marketer. Every crate he shipped was stamped with colorful labels bragging that the contents came “From the Land of Holly.” His slogan was, “Quality is Remembered When Price Is Forgotten.” Largely because of Jones, Milton earned its own nickname: “Hollytown, USA.” Local folks dubbed the extra trains that rolled through town every December “The Holly Express.”

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2021 1:57PM

Thank you for posting that @1630Boston. Here are few family photos to go along with the story.

Here is the Burton General Story that is mentioned in the first paragraph of the article in the 1880s. The store, which is on the left, was run my great grandfather, Henry P. Burton. is on the left. Henry P. Burton is seated on the stairs. His wife ran a millinery shop on the first floor of the house. Her show window is above Henry P.

Wouldn't have loved to have gone though the coins they collected as part of this business?

This is my grandfather, Charles G. Jones who started the company.

My grandfather and mother met during Christmas of 1903. They were married during Christmas of 1904. My grandfather made this little rolling pin look alike to commemorate their meeting and wedding. He etched the dates on either end of this little wooden piece. My grandmother was born in 1883. She was always looking for coins dated 1883.

Here are my grandmother and grandfather in front of their home in Milton, Delaware in 1942. The dog in the back of them was my grandmother's all time favorite, "Curly." According to my grandmother, she had 72 puppies in her lifetime.

And this is the "Holly House" in Milton decorated for season. The guess is this picture was from the late 1920s. The house still stands, but it's been gutted inside, which is a shame. There used to be a big oak fireplace mantle and other one that was in marble.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember walking through a car lot as a kid and hearing mom gasp $10,000 for a car. It was a Cadillac Luxury Sedan.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2021 7:28PM

@BillJones said:
    No, that does not look familiar.

Here are a few photos

That's me in the center of the big holly wreath with my mother holding me up. This is dated November, 1949

This is my father in front of a big custom made holly wreath that he made to hang on the Radio City Music Hall in New York City. This was circa 1951.

This is my grandfather, Charles G. Jones, standing in front of road sigh he sponsored, probably in the early 1940s. He started the company, and my father continued to run it until it closed in 1962.

My father sold natural holly wreaths that were preserved and painted. He also sold dyed lycopoteum wreaths and roping. He was able to meet all of the New York City fire laws at that time. Artificial decorations brought in a change in tastes which ended the business.

Here is a link to a bit more of the story.

https://capegazette.com/article/milton-sends-world%E2%80%99s-largest-wreath-new-york/122102

These are such great photos Bill! I especially like the first one. Thanks for sharing them :+1:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file