Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

About the Sacagawea Dollar in the 2000 Millennium Set?

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2, 2021 9:50PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hey guys, Does anyone know the true fact on the variety Dollar in the 2000 Millennium Set? What's the story here? Is the variety that the Sac. Dollar suppose to be a burnished and in fact, it's not? or is the variety aspect that the Dollar isn't suppose to be a burnished and it is? Confused here? Here is a picture of the one that I almost bought today. What do you think? The coin pictured, is it a burnished, proof or business strike? I do see the D Mint mark. Lol. Thanks guys. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check out www.smalldollars.com

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:
    Check out www.smalldollars.com

Thanks. I went there and read it. It still is confusing. Lol. :*

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2000-D Sac$ from the Millennium set was issued burnished, however, some sets were found with a regular 2000-D Sac$, i. e. NOT burnished.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

there were less then 20 that were graded non burnished and they used to sell for big premiums, i would assume they still do

• Options
    edited March 3, 2021 4:24AM

How can you tell the burnished ones from the Non burnished ones? This is the difficult part. And nobody is showing this. The difference? Can you tell from the pics I took of the coin in my OP? Is this the Burnished or the Non Burnished? Thanks
    To me, it DOESN'T seem Burnished. There is a Pic on the smalldollar.com website, but it is difficult to determine by it's photo.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a business strike to me. It seems that burnished surfaces are generally matte like but vary somewhat. IMO. I need to read more about coin burnishing now. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea what the specific coin in question 'should' look like, however, the coin in your picture does not appear burnished to me. Cheers, RickO

• Options

A Burnished Coin

The Questionable Sacagawea

Burnished or Not Guys? Thanks :)

• Options
    edited March 3, 2021 11:26AM

So, if this Sac. should happen to be of the NON- Burnished. This can truly be the 21 Sac. In the Millennium Set? Should I run and purchase this set? Lol. She's asking $100. :*

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

the sac is burnished, i purchased 200 sets from the mint in 2000 and had several graded, the burnished sac dollars have a darker, richer appearance, yours is burnished, no question about it

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had posted this thread https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1052223/burnished-2009-p-sacagawea-or-not
    Lots of replies but I never got a definitive answer...
    It's very confusing because the word Burnished actually means highly polished!

But apparently burnished coins have a matte like silky finish?
    Which I figured would have been described as a satin finish.

By the way this is the suspected Millennium Set one I found in my 1000 small dollars hunt...very worn but still absolutely mirror like with nice crisp edges and strong strike. I originally posted it in my results thread for that search as possibly being from the Millennium Set...

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    So, if this Sac. should happen to be of the NON- Burnished. This can truly be the 21 Sac. In the Millennium Set? Should I run and purchase this set? Lol. She's asking $100. :*

There were recently some Millennium sets on the BST. Why not shop there?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

the outer part of the rim is not crisp on the dirty one above

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    the outer part of the rim is not crisp on the dirty one above

I agree...I meant the inside of the rim, it just looks like it must've been a spectacular coin before getting circulated.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

Thank you everyone for all your advise and suggestions. I just saved myself $100, by not pulling the trigger. You influenced me. Lol. Thanks. :)

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@joeykoins said:

There were recently some Millennium sets on the BST. Why not shop there?

That was me. I had 5 sets for sale. I was asking $75 + postage each or $350 postpaid for all 5.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file