Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Couldn't take it any longer! Detroit Redford Coin Show

mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Couldn't take it any longer, finally hit the first show since last year. Obviously I am not alone. This is the only Detroit area show that has opened back up so far. Temperature checks at the door, all the American adults acted responsibly and it was incredibly well attended. Great to begin to get back to some semblance of normal.

Picked up some super clean brown Ikes and a beautiful gold dollar.

Mark

Comments

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2021 9:30AM

It’s great to see you were able to return to them. I miss them so much! Some of my favorite memories of collecting come from the Santa Clara coin show. I would need a 1973D Eisenhower dollar and budget myself 25 bucks. Hunting was so much fun

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea, our new normal!

Vplite99
  • Options

@291fifth said:
    Coin shows are going to boom when they get going again. The demand for in-person coin viewing and actual contact with a real human is high!

Yeah, everyone was pretty excited to be there, albeit with the weird mask/temp check stuff... This is a monthly show that returned at least a month ago. Others have not opened up yet. Michigan State Numismatic Society's scheduled for the end of April has already been canceled. Maybe some will reconsider or reschedule.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report. It’s about time.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shows can be held if everyone will follow the rules. Thanks for the report.

• Options

@coinbuf said:
    Nice that you had a show to go to, this comment struck me as odd, "all the American adults acted responsibly" Were there non Americans there, how could you tell, and what were they doing that was not responsible?

Didn't need to be prodded, just did what was necessary to get business back flowing like it should and be considerate and safe. Should have happened some time ago. Spent time at IKEA yesterday with tons of other shoppers doing the best they could yet the restaurants next door are still just being "allowed" to open their businesses. The amount of people bars and restaurants are allowed to allow in are hardly enough to make it worth their while yet others have been open for some time. Just pointing out if we let adults make their own decisions they will do the right thing.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not trying to be a smart arse or derail the thread but I see two dealers with masks below their nose and two dealers with face shields without masks.

• Options

@skier07 said:
    I’m not trying to be a smart arse or derail the thread but I see two dealers with masks below their nose and two dealers with face shields without masks.

Should have been at IKEA!

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:

Next time your ay local walmart or home depot give me a count of how many ppl have it 100%

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try my office. 75% of my senior patients don’t wear their mask correctly and it’s not deliberate. It’s either too big and it slides down or they have it mistakenly below their nose. It’s unrealistic for me to expect an 85 year old to have a mask on correctly but at least they’re trying.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

The majority are at least trying to wear PPE correctly. That's a good start. Especially for people that aren't accustomed to wearing it on a daily basis.

Funny aside... there was a professor of Microbiology that did a handwashing compliance experiment at one of our annual conventions... ASM... American Society for Microbiology. He stationed lab assistants in the bathrooms to record how many people washed hands after using the facilities... less than 70%. And this was at a convention of Microbiologists...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW... to the OP... THANKS! Finally, a show report!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like gov whitmer is loosening the stranglehold on Michigan.

I used to go to that show regularly about 20 years ago, looks like a much better venue these days. Glad things are opening up.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    The idea of going to a crowded IKEA makes we want to bathe in rubbing alcohol.

Hate any place that makes you pass every single item they sell to find your way to the exit like a rat looking for the cheese at the end of the maze. Grand daughter's birthday present trumped my disdain for the store.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

You got to a show, that's great. I'm ready. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report glad to see some people in there! Looks like there was a buzz in the air awesome

• Options

@ike126 said:
    Thanks for the report glad to see some people in there! Looks like there was a buzz in the air awesome

Yeah the mood was particularly upbeat. This was my find this morning. Unfortunately the picture doesn't do the coin justice at all. Small nick at 5:30 on the obverse, a couple between the 1 and dollar on the reverse and one under the 8 are the only major things I see. Beautiful color and luster in person... not so much in the picture.

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

I recognize a few familiar faces in there.

I believe this show has been combined with the monthly show held at the 9 Mile VFW Post. Meant to ask Dave but didn’t remember while I was there.

• Options

@Wingsrule said:
    I recognize a few familiar faces in there.

I believe this show has been combined with the monthly show held at the 9 Mile VFW Post. Meant to ask Dave but didn’t remember while I was there.

Oh, not sure. It's possible. They used to run one in each location and Dave was there - guess he didn't used to do that show so you may be right. I liked two a month but at this point, I'll take one.

Mark

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report. Now to just find a show closer to home.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mark_dak Nice pick up. Squeeze those staples so they don't damage any
    of the neighbors.

• Options

Yeah, not staying in there, that's the way I bought her. Thanks, good tip

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is good news and I like what you picked up. I'm glad it was well attended

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mark_dak ....Thanks for the show report and great pictures. I have been to several gun shows...and they look pretty much the same. As far as face shields vs. masks... the CDC says shields are better since they prevent you from touching your face. Nice coin too Mark... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2021 10:18AM

@ricko said:
    @mark_dak ....Thanks for the show report and great pictures. I have been to several gun shows...and they look pretty much the same. As far as face shields vs. masks... the CDC says shields are better since they prevent you from touching your face. Nice coin too Mark... Cheers, RickO

With all due respect Ricko, and appreciating your efforts to try and illuminate a complicated issue, while dancing a tightrope over a political minefield and staying on topic, I might respectfully suggest that this is a blanket statement that isn’t perhaps in the best interest of those doing their best to safely attend coin shows. A shield, in the absence of a mask, is doing very little to protect the wearer of possible airborne virus.

It may protect those around them of some large droplets they may be expelling , and perhaps spare them from touching their own face with contaminated fingers, but it’s not going to do a lot of air filtration,.

I’ve worked very closely with this virus from the very start of this mess and with dozens of very sick patients. Mask type, quality and fit are not being considered and discussed much with the general public.
    I could write a book on my experiences with this whole thing, but what I really want to share here, in sparing you all my long winded lecture on this issue is-

You will be much safer, and help to keep others safe if you wear a well fitted mask, or two with that face shield.
    I believe the face shields alone could be giving those wearing them a false sense of security.
    Sorry, but after all I’ve been through and seen, I couldn’t let this one pass.
    It’s great to see so many people trying so hard to do the right thing!
    In the absence of the fit tested -medical grade masks and shields we often wear in the healthcare setting I’d like for everyone to just be as safe as reasonably possible.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    The majority are at least trying to wear PPE correctly. That's a good start. Especially for people that aren't accustomed to wearing it on a daily basis.

Funny aside... there was a professor of Microbiology that did a handwashing compliance experiment at one of our annual conventions... ASM... American Society for Microbiology. He stationed lab assistants in the bathrooms to record how many people washed hands after using the facilities... less than 70%. And this was at a convention of Microbiologists...

ugh!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fit tested N-95 for me, whenever I leave the house. Also carry my own alcohol based hand sanitizer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file