Options

Nice customer Nickel Bank Roll.

Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 28, 2021 8:48AM in U.S. Coin Forum

2 Silvers, 1 1938s and lots of common 40s and 50s

Comments

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe they threw away an old whitman blue folder - nice score, the 2 silvers worth enough to buy another roll

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not bad from what I see.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the date range? I see a 1940 and a 2012. Nice roll find!

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

NICE!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way cool

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2021 1:23PM

Probably from a collector that just couldn't stand the clutter anymore. I've been doing that lately except I pull the war nickels and anything before 1950. Even then I don't know why I keep them. How many 1948 worn out nickels does one person need? And...I'll never cash in the war nickels for the silver. I've also been getting rid of solid uncirculated bank rolls of Westward Journey nickels. The local merchant is happy to take them. It actually is a relief to get rid of them. It's just junk taking up space.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to add; I don't mean in any way to say that the roll of nickels featured in this thread is junk. It would be great to come across a roll like that if that was what you were looking for. I just mean to say that after 50 plus years of accumulating Jefferson nickels that I personally am a little........ Over stocked!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

The roll was probably made up by heirs of an estate who found a very old container full of coins and cashed them in at the bank. There were probably other denominations as well!

You just don't find multiple silver nickels along with many other early date Jeffersons in a roll these days. Something unusual happened!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Probably from a collector that just couldn't stand the clutter anymore. I've been doing that lately except I pull the war nickels and anything before 1950. Even then I don't know why I keep them. How many 1948 worn out nickels does one person need? And...I'll never cash in the war nickels for the silver. I've also been getting rid of solid uncirculated bank rolls of Westward Journey nickels. The local merchant is happy to take them. It actually is a relief to get rid of them. It's just junk taking up space.

Or, my first thought was that someone had passed away and the family cashed in dish of coins that had been sitting in that old dresser for decades....
    Just like my kids will likely be doing with me eventually- cheerful thought!
    More motivation to clean it up before it comes to that- as in the first sentence of your speculations.

In any event. It is a cool find and would be great fun for someone filling a Dansco from circulation. :-)

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

I agree with this. I have many, many tubes of old Jeff nickels pulled from circulation during my life. I know they are only worth face value, and always will be. However, I cannot bring myself to get rid of them.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, Since the late 60's I to have been pulling from circulation any Jefferson including and prior to the 1960 P. I usually get 2 to 5 silvers a year, although none in this past year. Pulled from change two 1950 D's a few months apart. The only two I've ever found.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep any war nickels I find... and I have a jar of nickels from change that have only been partially looked at. My wife long ago got tired of piles of change on the dresser, so got a set of screw top jars (large) and put the change (sorted) in them... been doing that ever since when I empty my pockets. So far, almost full jars of quarters, dimes and nickels and two and a half (large) jars of cents. Soon she will want me to go through them.... I can see the look in her eyes when she sees the dresser - then looks at me. :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I keep any war nickels I find... and I have a jar of nickels from change that have only been partially looked at. My wife long ago got tired of piles of change on the dresser, so got a set of screw top jars (large) and put the change (sorted) in them... been doing that ever since when I empty my pockets. So far, almost full jars of quarters, dimes and nickels and two and a half (large) jars of cents. Soon she will want me to go through them.... I can see the look in her eyes when she sees the dresser - then looks at me. :D;) Cheers, RickO

Oh the look :o
    Been married 45 years now and I know it well :)

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone who is married knows "The Look".

A Home Improvement episode dealt with "The Look". Dolores (the wife of the owner of the hardware store) gave "The Look" at various times during the show.

Very funny.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file