Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Best Things about the Forums...

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the forums.

Some things I really appreciate:

• The community: It's great to have a group of people to chat with.
  • The expertise: there's lot of knowledge here, both in what people know and are able to research
  • The variety: there's so much to collect, one can't possibly collect it all. It's wonderful to see what others collect

What do you love about the forums?

Long live PCGS and the forums :)

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

all of the above - 100%

happy to've found this place and my only regret has been that I wasn't aware of it sooner

wide array of great people sharing a common passion / past time

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like this place :)

• Options
    d9lowed9lowe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    All the above is true.
    what would the forum say, if I posted this?

LOL. I have thought the same thing before

• Options
    TheMayorTheMayor Posts: 221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    If I’m on the fence on a coin, I’ve stopped to think: what would the forum say, if I posted this?

Or, if I know I made a mistake, I better not post this one to the forum, I don't want them to have to lie to me.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like that we pretty much all learn how to be more picky and choosey within our given range of interest and means.

mirabela
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I appreciate the eclectic assortment of people interested and involved in numismatics and exonumia. I also like the topics, chat and pm. Kinda ironic that we're in a pretty good social niche given covid. IMO Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy the passion exhibited by so many collectors. Passion over the $3 variety as well as the 10K coin.
    A true collector has passion for their hobby and that is evident here often.

I know I have been over the clouds after finding a hard to find Lincoln RPM that might be worth less than a cup of Starbucks coffee and not to even mention the hours/days/months I spent looking for it. And to be in a forum with others who share your passion is satisfying to say the least.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy GTG.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with pretty much all the above.

Another aspect that I like is that via the Forums I've gotten to know other members that I've then gotten to meet and know in person at shows etc.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

When this thread just popped up, I immediately thought "It's going to be a good one " Then I start to read, and I 100% agree with at least something from every one who replied. I've been a collector for almost 57 years. I joined the forum in Sept. 2019. I have learned more in the last year and a half than the previous 55+ years. All thanks to every single one of you guys and gals. My greatest like is that if I have a question, I ask it here and within minutes, sometimes less, I have my answer. I think of it as Google for coins. Thank you to our hosts and to all of you.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love showing off NEWPS and getting opinions.

The camaraderie is great.

I enjoy chatting and making friends.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2021 8:30PM

Another thing that I really appreciate is the honesty and integrity of the vast majority of the forum members.

I realize that this is more of a BST aspect, but I personally find it amazing that I’ve had around 600+ transactions with nearly 160 different members, and NEVER had a deal go bad.
    I also realize that there have been a few “bad apples” from time to time, but they are usually quickly exposed, and the community alerted to potential scammers. Conversely, I’ve shipped coins on approval, based on other members’ references. It’s great to know that we have each other’s backs!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The incredible depth of knowledge, the coin pictures and the camaraderie. The BST is a great resource as well. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the best things is being able to look at others collections. A ton of good examples of this or that, good coins, problem coins, etc. I think it really shortens the numismatic learning curve.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watching the amateur coin photographer picking up the skill.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread should be renamed to "The bare chested hug thread".

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

This forum made me a more educated collector which has no doubt saved me hundreds of dollars.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ldhair said:
    A few days ago made it 20 years for me on this site. It's been a few years more if I include the old PCGS site. From day one I started meeting and making friends with many great folks in the hobby. There have been so many but a few stand out that still post here.

The first was a dealer at the time, Mark Feld. I ask about a coin he had and he just sent it to me without payment. I told him he was crazy for trusting someone he didn't know. About 40 coins in my type set came from him and I'm still very proud of the set.

Next was this young kid. He was an airplanenut with great imaging skills. I was having a hard time moving from film over to digital imaging. His help put me on the fast track. Great teacher.

Next was a scientist (SH). He let me tag along at Fun each year and I learned a great deal about Bust Half Dollars. He was kind enough to offer part of his collection to me. I'm proud of every coin.

Next is a great guy I'm proud of having as a friend, Bill Jones. Probably the best grader and history teacher I have ever known.

I could go on and on but this site has brought me some of the very best in the hobby to learn from.

I wasn’t crazy, after all, was I?😉

Thank you and I’m honored to have played a part in your set.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2021 1:42PM

Hands down, the COVID threads are the best and keep me coming back! ;)

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

First, I would like to extend my heartfelt "Thank You!" to our host, PCGS, for providing these forums for all of us.

Second, I agree with practically everything said in the above posts. Well, except for the part about being here for the chicks - I'm a bit old for that now, but it did make me laugh out loud.

Third, and this is a bit of a negative, but it's my own feeling. Not knocking anyone. I really miss a lot of the former members from the days of the open forum, and several who have been bammed. But this place has become a lot more civil than "the old days". I do enjoy that.

Fourth, and last, and most important to me, I really appreciate all of you here. You have made this a highly enjoyable place for me to hang out, learn, and sometimes teach a bit. You, ladies and gentlemen, are great! Thank you.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will admit I don't have patience today to read each and every answer but I will tend to agree each one as being valid
    without even reading them.
    We are very, very lucky to have such a diverse group of individuals! From laughter to serious discussions,
    From very mundane and basic errors and grading skills to exceptional people that can help us grade and explain eye
    for beauty......There are those with vast knowledge of metallurgy & toning. I can go on and on.
    Yet with all these different individuals we for the most part enjoy, get along, laugh and mourn for each other.
    I have not joined many forums but this place is great because of who is in the room without all this
    mix of people would not have such a creative forum.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file