Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Working on my photo skills

Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a new lamp to assist in taking photos. It was cheap and my pics look a lot better. Not to the level they would with nicer equipment but you get what you pay for.

Some day I’ll buy a cool coin photo rig...

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

Comments

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good job! Fair to assume the photos look very close to that nice coin in hand?

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those photos are pretty good and the coin is nice too.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO the light on the coin is too harsh and is giving it an unnatural look. I have a similar LED lamp and the same effect occurs in my amateur photography experiments. The TrueView looks more realistic. It looks nicer than a 62 to me; is it market/net graded because of the light rub on the cheek? I'm not too knowledgeable about grading this series.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    edited February 27, 2021 12:39PM

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    IMO the light on the coin is too harsh and is giving it an unnatural look. I have a similar LED lamp and the same effect occurs in my amateur photography experiments. The TrueView looks more realistic. It looks nicer than a 62 to me; is it market/net graded because of the light rub on the cheek? I'm not too knowledgeable about grading this series.

So yeah... I’m taking pics on my dresser with a $50 lamp. I’m not to the level of taking true
    view photos :D

I ultimately need to get a rig specifically for coins. I forget the website but I’ve seen them offered here.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:
    So yeah... I’m taking pics on my dresser with a $50 lamp. I’m not to the level of taking true

Haha! I didn't mean to imply you should be on that level. Like I said, a lot of my attempts with an LED light and my iPhone end up looking similar to your result. All that said, it's a damn nice coin :)

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2021 12:48PM

pocketchange is correct. The reverse of the PCGS label is screaming "lighting is too harsh." A $50 lamp can give you great results if used properly. It takes experimenting with the angle of both the lighting and the camera. Back the lamp(s) away from the coin or don't point them directly at the coin. Only you can tell the difference between your pic and the coin in hand. If big difference more experimenting is called for. Small table top tripod with coin on a flat surface on top of a white sheet of paper would help.

Three lamps help to ensure even lighting on the coin.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

@Pnies20 said:

Haha! I didn't mean to imply you should be on that level. Like I said, a lot of my attempts with an LED light and my iPhone end up looking similar to your result. All that said, it's a damn nice coin :)

The cheek is the only thing that could have held it back From 63 or higher, IMO. There fields are nearly flawless on both sides.

@winesteven said:
    Good job! Fair to assume the photos look very close to that nice coin in hand?

I need to do more experimenting and have a long way to go but it looks Even better in hand than in the auction photos, trueview. I won it last Year in a stacks auction.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:

what are you using now?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Pnies20 said:

what are you using now?

An iPhone and a cheap LED magnification lamp

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2021 4:44PM

Your pictures look pretty good to me. I took the liberty to crop them to see what they look like without the distraction of the slab. I also adjusted the picture using the built in edit thing in my iPhone to try and correct the color using the Trueview as a comparison. It still doesn’t match the TrueView, but it’s a little bit closer

Here’s your original pictures for comparison

Mr_Spud

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you tried to diffuse the light, might help with the harshness.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@coinbuf said:
    Have you tried to diffuse the light, might help with the harshness.

No

Thanks for the advice. Still 100% green

• Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like your new light is a multi-LED ringlight? The "un-natural" look of the photos is probably due to having lights coming from the lower half of the ringlight. I'd wager the photos would look a lot better if you just mask-off the lower half so only the upper half illuminates the coin.

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely looking better and some good advice here.

But what I really wanted to say is that's a GREAT looking coin!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try adjusting the white balance on your camera settings. Don't keep it to auto, or whichever is the default. Play around with them, as they will make an image more green, orange, or blue.

Traditionally in cinema, a more orange light was cast by incandescents, blue by natural daylight, and green by flourescents. These are balanced out by utilizing an opposite colored filter. Your phone may be overcorrecting based on the current cinema.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:

is it at least 6th gen?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Pnies20 said:

is it at least 6th gen?

The iPhone is a 10

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot critique the photo at all, since it is orders of magnitude above what I could do. Great picture and a very, very nice coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice images..

One thing I do before every session... is take a picture of a white piece of paper or a gray card (which I cannot locate).

Go to the in camera settings for white balance.

Select that image for the WB.

All of your images will have a consistent and more accurate look in regards to color.

I do it by habit because the lighting can easily change a slight amount from day to day, time of day etc...

Saves so much time in post processing!

I still struggle with getting the washed out metal look and not capturing the mirrors of a coin.

Shot some copper last night. BU copper is a bit easier.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are doing very good!

• Options

Thanks for all of your input. It’ll help a ton.

It looks considerably better on circulated coins. Light is at its lowest output. Still a bit harsh. Here is an 1809 O-112 in VF

• Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still a bit un-natural looking with lights coming from below.

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file