Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Graded cards you love that are rarely seen in high grade

I figured I need some positivity going since I get bummed about turnaround times and grading results way too often. I thought I would start a thread adding some of my favorite graded cards that are not particularly high value but are low pop in grade and even though maybe not highly sought after are vital to your collection. Post away with your contributions as I plan to add to this thread when I have time.

I’ll start the thread with a guy some of you may not have heard of unless you are a Saints fan. In New Orleans he is a legend. His punt block in the first game back after Katrina in the Super Dome against the hated Falcons is the touchstone moment in bringing the city back. Then add the tragedy of his ALS diagnosis and the activist he has become because of it. There is even a major yearly event Gleason Gras to raise awareness and fund programs to help those and their families who suffer with ALS. He only has one card. There is only 1 10 that I self subbed.

Steve Gleason

I would highly recommend the documentary Gleason if you are not faint of heart as well

Looking for FB HOF Rookies

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

opening the door for @1951WheatiesPremium whenever he is ready....

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭

Jared Zabransky: 2007 Boise State Fiesta Bowl quarterback who beat mighty Oklahoma with Adrian Petersen on a statue of liberty 2 point conversion 43-42 in overtime. Very exciting game with Coach Chris Petersen calling several gadget plays and formations. Card is 03/25, self subbed and I think is a Pop 1.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok. Low pop, probably low value to anyone but me and vital to the collection. Here’s a few that certainly qualify.

Jack Kramer is Pop 1; the only graded example. 😁

@blurryface

Thanks; the new one doesn’t qualify because that does not have no value. Quite the opposite, I think, for a variety of reasons 😉

But he will get his own informative and fun thread soon enough...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

This on'e a bit of an oddity and not due to a lack of popularity ...

Issued on a 4-card panel, this is the only one without any 10s and a far lower percentage of NQ 9s than the other three. This one almost always has a very thin left border, making those in nice shape receive an (OC) qualifier. 388 qualified 9s vs only 66 in a straight 9 (two self-subbed!) for this one against a minimum of 300 straight 9s and six 10s of each of the others. Would be fun to see what a 10 would go for if one ever arises: https://www.psacard.com/pop/multi-sport-cards/2001/s-kids-athlete-year/54911

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2021 8:59AM

i was basing the intro off the thread title...graded cards loved that are rarely seen in high grade.

meaning super duper cards in which the highest grade is a 5 or something.

• Options

@blurryface said:
    i was basing the intro off the thread title...graded cards loved that are rarely seen in high grade.

And I thank you, sincerely.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

Really it is anything that you want to post. Just not the basic stuff you see all the time.

• Options

@rexvos

Oh...

...well then, here’s some Mickey Mantle that is rarely seen, low population and top of the pop...

• Options

@rexvos said:

@blurryface said:

Really it is anything that you want to post. Just not the basic stuff you see all the time.

And as a heads up 90%+ of what I post will have some Louisiana tie. Everything else I collect can be found on eBay searches.

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

One of the greatest cyclists ever.

• Options

@Copyboy1 said:

@Copyboy1 said:

The cannibal

• Options

Ok I’ll post another one. Why do I like this card so much. It is a double dip. He was a standout on the LSU 2003 National Chanpionship team, not to mention he was on the receiving end of the Bluegrass Miracle the year before. Devery was also a member of the Saints super bowl team. Add in that Rookie Premiere autos are very tough to find and this is an SP.
    pop 2

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

Not a card, but a Pele autograph ticket from his last game for the Brazilian National Team.

• Options

1/9 no higher

1/1

1/1 no higher

1/1 no higher. However, it is currently at PSA for bump up review.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

That's a really nice item!!

Here's a recent pick up. Highest graded, one other 5.

Here's a second "card" I got back from PSA a short time ago. Three total graded. This one is the highest with the next one an eight.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stuff @DBesse27

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is one from my Bench collection.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai that Super Valu is really beautiful! Reminds me of the 1969 Atlantic Richfield premiums.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    @JoeBanzai that Super Valu is really beautiful! Reminds me of the 1969 Atlantic Richfield premiums.

They are nice!

Same artist.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Another Saint this morning it is a pop 5. You just do not see 2001 Topps Chrome Refractors in 10 holders

• Options

Just reviving this great thread. There are two of these in PSA slabs. Mine is .5 better than the other by technical grade, making it top pop.

The Great Bambino...

• Options

This former LSU Tiger burst on the scene with an SI cover in 1997 with LSU’s shocking upset of Florida. This 1999 Rookie issue is only a pop 3, while it does not have the cache of his teammates Contenders that came along a year later he was still a key contributor on the 1st Pats dynasty

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are a couple...
    Total PSA Population of 2

Total PSA Population of 1

And here are a couple of Louisiana guys for @rexvos...
    Total PSA Population of 1

I didn't get this one graded yet, but would also be the first example graded...

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

Todd,

I have never seen that Cannon before, and of course I love both him and Robinson, as they were backfield mates at LSU.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike, you know I love Kevin Faulk!

And Todd it’s always a treat to see your Lee Clothing cards!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox