Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2020 P Sacagawea/Native American Error(s)

tpcob303tpcob303 Posts: 35 ✭✭
edited February 23, 2021 9:58AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi everyone,

I have finally got the result of my NGC submission for a Native American/Sacagawea $1 coin I got in the Uncirculated mint set at the end of the year (the one that didn’t get the W nickel it was originally meant to come with).

Anyway the great news is that it was given the error I had hoped it might get attributed to it.

It was graded MS66 Obverse Strike Through.

I’m happy it got an error and it is as such my first error coin I found.

I am asking anyone in the community if they too have a coin from either P or D mint sets with an error preferably if they have the same coin with an error from 2020 mint set or circulation coins.

Let me know as so far I have not found one only a proof $1 with an error which was not exactly easy to distinguish it from being an error.

If you do post a reply with a picture it can be any denomination but would love to see other $1 Sacagawea errors from 2020 (any mint).

Comments

• Options
    scooter25scooter25 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭

That’s awesome. Any idea what it was struck through? Can we get a better picture of it?

• Options

My guess would be grease. There was no mention of it from NGC.

Right now the coin is returning to the guy who submitted my coins for me, I have no further pictures he just sent the information with the link to NGC show their photo which is where this photograph is from.

I can post photos when I receive.

I am really wanting people to start looking carefully through their uncirculated mint sets for 2020 year. 213,000 were made so I imagine that some error coins made it through their watchful eyes. If you have found a 2020 coin (any denomination) with an error from circulation coins show that off as well in a reply, the more the merrier.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2021 10:45AM

Good Eye, dude. I too, purchased 2 2020 Mint Sets, but no errors on mine. However, I did find a 2020 Tallgrass Prairie quarter, with the W / V75 Privy on it, with a Strike through on its obverse as well. While CRH. I'll picture it later. Thinking about sending mine in to PCGS? Congrats on yours. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

congrats on getting the error attribution - have not found this error on any unc mint set coins, but will reinvestigate

wondering why the coin obv wasn't facing the front of the slab, esp as thats where the error is ... 🤔 [sacagawea is the obv, right?]

• Options

Not sure why, but the error was visible both sides of the coin. I don’t mind as long as it has the error pedigree attributed to it.

Nice find joeykoins, let me know what grade you got. I am not from the USA so haven’t seen a V75 coin. Closest I got was in November for the silver eagle but always got the same blocked message on the US mint site, I almost got to the checkout eventually but instead got the blocked message once again. I tried again a little later but were sold out.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Thinking about sending mine in to PCGS? Congrats on yours. ;)

I hope that you do. You do have a keen eye. :)

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

also had a bunch of 2020 p/d kennedys w struck through grease, mostly d coins

• Options

Nice find on your Kennedy Half Dollars. Keep posting everyone. 2020 year only, everyone who reads this go and look through your 2020 coins and your mint set carefully.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

hate to say ... but it more a knock on the mint

pretty poor looking mint set coin.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

MsMorrisine, I agree, but when I realised I had an error my annoyance at the quality and quality control I decided it was for the best. I’m interested to know how many of these errors or other types of errors for this coin or others slipped through the net on the mint set coins for the 2020 year sets. My silver proof set was perfect for quality, the uncirculated set not so much, there may only be one or two coins that might get a 69 at a push, non look like they will hit the magic 70 if I send them for grading.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file