Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need help with Mint Error

I’m hoping someone could help me out with a mint error that I have. I deal with Variety Attribution (FS- varieties) quite often, however, I have no idea what I’m doing when it comes to mint errors. This is a coin that I found in a 1958 BU Nickel Roll a few years back and I had set it aside for a while. This received a “Reverse Struck Thru Struck Fragment” and I understand that there are a lot of different types of “Struck Thru” mint errors. What confuses me about this one is that it looks like “Cents” was stamped 4 times, “Monticello” was stamped clearly 2 times below the original and there are at least 2 strong separated steps below the original steps. I have been grading coins for over 11 years now and have never come across one like this. When I first saw it I thought it was a wild Doubled Die Reverse. I guess my question is… What exactly is a “Struck Thru Fragment” and how does it make such wild doubling? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! -Sean !

Comments

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't offer an explanation but I like it!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few more photos may help.

• Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    It's struck thru a detached laminated piece
    of metal from a prior coin, imo

Thank you Fred!

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!

----- kj
  • Options

@tincup said:
    Nice coin!

Thank you!

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, what an AWESOME coin, dude! Love it. Fred just gave you an expert opinion coming from THEE expert. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2021 9:24PM

@FredWeinberg said:
    It's struck thru a detached laminated piece
    of metal from a prior coin, imo

my first thought was, "wait, no way, is that a detached struck-through error?!?!"

if i'm not mistaken, it was struck-through more than once as well.

nice error!

ok. could have saved myself a post by reading the op post ><

@SimplyCoins1
    with as thin as of a piece of metal as was probably struck through but thick enough to allow design transfer, it's kinda no holds barred type situation. that poor little piece of metal is being bent, contorted, smooshed and more so design elements are going to be a bit mangled at best.

what really is baking my noodle is how did a piece which is positive, get struck through normal orientation (not face down) with the letters being pressed flat but not flat because they were pushed back into the metal below the frag, yet the letters seem to be the strongest part. <--- anyone want to untangle that one, be my guest, por favor.

i am almost thinking as thick as it appears to be, the frag, it could be part of a retained cud or perhaps a full one but then the letters couldn't transfer unless the piece flipped upside down, which it obviously didn't.

the light source seems to be coming directly from above with dark both at top and bottom. i can't tell if the letters in the strike through are incuse or raised. perhaps that is the enigma to my conundrum?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SimplyCoins1... That is a unique and interesting coin. Thanks for the pictures. Certainly an error coin worthy of slabbing. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SimplyCoins1

It is an intriguing coin.
    You said it came out of a BU 1958 roll, any other interesting finds or was this coin a loner? :)

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very nice error! Congrats!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file