Home Sports Talk

Super Bowl looks fixed

2»

Comments

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's my assessment, also. I told a friend at half-time that it seemed Tampa Bay figured that the Chiefs could beat them, but it wasn't going to be Hill getting 200 yds. and Kelce running crazy in the middle, they weren't going to allow that. with that understanding, how was KC unable to have anything else?? my friend told me that KC would come back after the half as they had in the post season last year, but I didn't think so, they looked different this SB.

so how was the Ried/Bienemy duo unprepared?? is the entire KC offense really simple, Mahomes to Hill and Mahomes to Kelce??

as the game developed it seemed Mahomes or Ried was unwilling to do what seemed obvious: let that rush come on, take the defense downfield or off to one side with Hill and Kelce, then use the little dink pass in the flats, use a draw play, try some screens, maybe a QB draw, what happened to the jet-sweep and some motion before the snap??

the Chiefs tried none of that!! they did nothing to take advantage of an aggressive and confident defense. I'm left with the thought that they were unprepared, unwilling to make changes and surprised that they couldn't do what they wanted to do. Mahomes was especially bad with a QB rating under 50. he seemed to think he could carry the Team or get lucky with desperation throws.

hopefully he won't suffer the fate of Russell Wilson but I think KC has some real work ahead of them before next season. they're already making copies of the game film and starting to study it, KC will be challenged in 2021.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    One of the game dirtiest players just popped Mahomes in the head - late - with no flag.

Many egregious and drive saving flags in the first half. Most, not all, were suspect.

Amazing 71 yard drive before half, but 60 was on penalties.

And if Tom Brady throws a ball, it’s just deemed automatically catchable? Two major flags on two majorly overthrown balls.

This is laughable.

excuses, excuses. watch it again in a few days when you are not so emotional. you will see that there could be an offensive holding on the KC Oline on just about every single pass play.

Its not the officiating. Great teams and great players overcome that stuff. complaining about officiating is a bad look as well.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    that's my assessment, also. I told a friend at half-time that it seemed Tampa Bay figured that the Chiefs could beat them, but it wasn't going to be Hill getting 200 yds. and Kelce running crazy in the middle, they weren't going to allow that. with that understanding, how was KC unable to have anything else?? my friend told me that KC would come back after the half as they had in the post season last year, but I didn't think so, they looked different this SB.

so how was the Ried/Bienemy duo unprepared?? is the entire KC offense really simple, Mahomes to Hill and Mahomes to Kelce??

as the game developed it seemed Mahomes or Ried was unwilling to do what seemed obvious: let that rush come on, take the defense downfield or off to one side with Hill and Kelce, then use the little dink pass in the flats, use a draw play, try some screens, maybe a QB draw, what happened to the jet-sweep and some motion before the snap??

the Chiefs tried none of that!! they did nothing to take advantage of an aggressive and confident defense. I'm left with the thought that they were unprepared, unwilling to make changes and surprised that they couldn't do what they wanted to do. Mahomes was especially bad with a QB rating under 50. he seemed to think he could carry the Team or get lucky with desperation throws.

hopefully he won't suffer the fate of Russell Wilson but I think KC has some real work ahead of them before next season. they're already making copies of the game film and starting to study it, KC will be challenged in 2021.

I think the kid RB (Edward’s-Halaire) ran out of gas weekend ago. That was why they brought in additional backs late in the season.

They’ll be fine; most teams don’t have the personnel to do what TB did to them. Those are two borderline HOF players. Suh might be in, JPP probably just outside...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@craig44 said:

One of the game dirtiest players just popped Mahomes in the head - late - with no flag.

Many egregious and drive saving flags in the first half. Most, not all, were suspect.

Amazing 71 yard drive before half, but 60 was on penalties.

And if Tom Brady throws a ball, it’s just deemed automatically catchable? Two major flags on two majorly overthrown balls.

This is laughable.

excuses, excuses. watch it again in a few days when you are not so emotional. you will see that there could be an offensive holding on the KC Oline on just about every single pass play.

Its not the officiating. Great teams and great players overcome that stuff. complaining about officiating is a bad look as well.

Had no dog in the fight, just thought the first half featured a lot of bad calls.

I thought Tampa was going to win the game before it was played and I’m happy for both Tom and the Bucs. I would have been happy with a KC win too.

My Giants have been bad for a decade so I just watch for the excitement and commercials. Not much excitement in the game, good halftime show, decent commercials.

If the roles were reversed and Hill flopped on a 40 yard pass with minimal contact, I’d still be highlighting it as a terrible call. Same for the Matthieu interception on a tipped ball; thought the tip at the line negated that penalty and would let the INT stand. But it wasn’t called that way; real time and the bad angle replay went quickly but that was tough too and both were drive enders that negated two big opportunities for momentum swings.

I agree it didn’t decide the game; KC ran into a team that matched up perfectly with them. But those plays being ruled the way they were translated almost directly to 14 points.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@craig44

But I think I’ll wait a few days; maybe there will be some contact on that play when I’m less emotional.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

KC’s defensive Backs just didn’t get away with holding on every play like they are used to doing. That was a big part of the game that not too many people are mentioning either

@perkdog said:
    KC’s defensive Backs just didn’t get away with holding on every play like they are used to doing. That was a big part of the game that not too many people are mentioning either

You aren’t wrong, Paul.

edited February 8, 2021 7:21AM

Overthrown and no contact

see, I have to wonder if we're watching the same video. the defender gets too close to the receiver and contact is initiated as the left foot of the defender kicks the left foot of Evans, that in turn causes Evans to kick his own right foot, then the defender stumbles and brushes the right hip of Evans and slides down the back of his legs, causing him to fall.

Jesus, man, are you blind?? watch that second video on the link, the contact is blatant. B)

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭

I liked the end of the first half. 10 seconds left on the clock, bucs run a play and there was still 10 seconds left on the clock.

@keets said:
    Overthrown and no contact

see, I have to wonder if we're watching the same video. the defender gets too close to the receiver and contact is initiated as the left foot of the defender kicks the left foot of Evans, that in turn causes Evans to kick his own right foot, then the defender stumbles and brushes the right hip of Evans and slides down the back of his legs, causing him to fall.

Jesus, man, are you blind?? watch that second video on the link, the contact is blatant. B)

Tangled feet is not a reason to throw a flag, is it?

He turned his head, he ran stride for stride and their feet got caught together. It was not intentional and it was not a trip. He did not make any contact with the receiver that could be deemed interference with the intended pass which was also overthrown.

Sorry - responding to a few different threads and should have been clearer.

The defensive player did interfere with Evans on that play. Clear as day.

@craig44

I am fond of you as a poster so I’m going to ask you for honesty here and hope I get it.

It’s 2000-04 era playoffs. That’s a ball thrown by Peyton Manning to Marvin Harrison and Ty Law (or Lawyer Malloy) is in coverage.

Should a flag have been thrown on that play?

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<<< Super Bowl looks fixed >>>

I just read that the great grandson of Arnold Rothstein was in the Chiefs locker room prior to the game, talking to some of the players. What was he doing in there?

;)

the evans play last night was in isolation and had he caught it, he was taking it to the house. I think that in real time, 80% of viewers would have thought that PI. The defender was beat. it was a penalty. would I have been aggravated? oh yes. very much so.

now, conversely, the first-half play with the 5 yard off side on 4th down that gave TB a first down and lead to a TD was ticky-tack and I thought a gift.

when it comes down to it, last nights game was won/lost over more than the officiating. it was a 22 point win, and could have been more had the Bucs gone for points in the 4th quarter instead of running the clock.

@craig44 said:
    the evans play last night was in isolation and had he caught it, he was taking it to the house. I think that in real time, 80% of viewers would have thought that PI. The defender was beat. it was a penalty. would I have been aggravated? oh yes. very much so.

now, conversely, the first-half play with the 5 yard off side on 4th down that gave TB a first down and lead to a TD was ticky-tack and I thought a gift.

when it comes down to it, last nights game was won/lost over more than the officiating. it was a 22 point win, and could have been more had the Bucs gone for points in the 4th quarter instead of running the clock.

Just realize this was posted in real time and a lot of these plays (and comments) happened in real time.

I agree that as the game played out these ended up having little meaning and the better team won the game.

Speaking of which, Tampa Bay added Tom Brady (and Rob Gronkowski, who does not suck at all, was going to the Hall of Fame before unretiring) to last years team and they looked much improved. Then they added Antonio Brown and Leonard Fournette, too.

Did those guys show up and pay dividends last night or what!?!

you are right, they payed huge dividends. The surprise for me was Fournette. he was lackluster during the regular season, but flipped the switch in the playoffs.

I was glad to see Gronk play a big part in the passing game last night. He is a personal favorite.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree there were some bad calls that went against the Chiefs. I think Brady throwing the ball away over everyone, over the end zone made that uncatchable. None the less if bad calls went against the Bucs they still would have won easily. Brady was spot on leading his team. The Bucs were by far the better team. And don't underestimate the tremendous pep talk by the waterboy that got them juiced.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    does anyone have an explanation as to how/why the Chiefs offense played so badly and looked so unprepared for that game??

Eric Fisher arguably the best LT in the league got hurt in AFC Championship Game. Their two tackles were playing in those spots for the first time all season. Tampa Bay was able to get pressure on Mahomes all night without blitzing. TB lived in KC's backfield all night just rushing 4. That allowed TB to double Hill all night and Kelce most of the night.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

**Tangled feet is not a reason to throw a flag, is it?

He turned his head, he ran stride for stride and their feet got caught together. It was not intentional and it was not a trip. He did not make any contact with the receiver that could be deemed interference with the intended pass which was also overthrown**.

I guess we just don't agree.

yes, Mark, but KC couldn't adjust to that?? I thought Reid didn't help with the play calling and Mahomes tried to win it on his own. the continued scrambling backwards 10-15 yards was just ridiculous.

@keets said:
    **Tangled feet is not a reason to throw a flag, is it?

He turned his head, he ran stride for stride and their feet got caught together. It was not intentional and it was not a trip. He did not make any contact with the receiver that could be deemed interference with the intended pass which was also overthrown**.

I guess we just don't agree.

That’s ok. I’m not one who believes there’s only one way to see something that is correct. In football and in life. Everyone is entitled to their of point of view.

Discussing those points of view respectfully and intelligently is even better.

Plenty of that here - delightful, isn’t it?

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@keets said:
    does anyone have an explanation as to how/why the Chiefs offense played so badly and looked so unprepared for that game??

Eric Fisher arguably the best LT in the league got hurt in AFC Championship Game. Their two tackles were playing in those spots for the first time all season. Tampa Bay was able to get pressure on Mahomes all night without blitzing. TB lived in KC's backfield all night just rushing 4. That allowed TB to double Hill all night and Kelce most of the night.

m

I am familiar with Mike Remmers, last nights Left Tackle for the Chiefs. He was unable to play for the Vikings at either Tackle or Guard. The Vikings O-Line is sub par.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    yes, Mark, but KC couldn't adjust to that?? I thought Reid didn't help with the play calling and Mahomes tried to win it on his own. the continued scrambling backwards 10-15 yards was just ridiculous.

Sometimes you have to pick your poison. Todd Bowles game plan to exploit KC's O Line was brilliant. No answers.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last night, the Bucs just took it to the Chiefs, it's really that simple. They were just ready for them this time. The Chiefs looked overwhelmed. The Bucs just wanted it more and they forced their will on the Chiefs.

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:
    Chiefs killing almost all of my squares possibilities, and I have some swank numbers. Sigh, at least I have homemade pizza pies.

I came close with KC 9 and Bucs 2. I loved the win though as Brady has been my fav for years and I hate Billichek.

@JoeBanzai said:

@Justacommeman said:

@keets said:

m

I am familiar with Mike Remmers, last nights Left Tackle for the Chiefs. He was unable to play for the Vikings at either Tackle or Guard. The Vikings O-Line is sub par.

The Giants had the worst line in football for the last five years now? Mike Remmers was on it in 2019 and was subsequently let go.

Ouch

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@Justacommeman said:

@keets said:

m

The one thing that really worried me was Eric Fisher going down in the AFC championship game.
    I was hoping that somehow wouldn't be a key factor in the Super Bowl but it turned out to
    be the biggest factor of all.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Justacommeman said:

@keets said:

m

The one thing that really worried me was Eric Fisher going down in the AFC championship game.
    I was hoping that somehow wouldn't be a key factor in the Super Bowl but it turned out to
    be the biggest factor of all.

Watching the game last night looked like watching a Vikings game when behind and having to throw.

Offensive line that can't pass block gets exposed in those situations. I doubt that any team has much of a chance to make a comeback in those situations, unless the defense switches to the "prevent".

Notice the Bucs never really went to the 3 man rush?

Smart!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

You can't really adjust to having 80% of your starting OL not playing in their positions.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

he was channeling Josh Allen last night :D

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2021 5:51PM

Does any have the pass to Gronk that set up the long run TD by Tampa. I clearly saw Tampa OL flinch but they never showed the replay. Any got that on tape showing the snap?

Never mind. I just watched it 10 times. The left guard clearly flinched before the snap. No call. How do I see it in Texas and the officials miss it?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

You can't really adjust to having 80% of your starting OL not playing in their positions.

oh yeah, the Browns did it for most of the season and things worked out OK. tell me, how many times did you see Mahomes roll-out?? scrambles don't count.

@keets said:

oh yeah, the Browns did it for most of the season and things worked out OK. tell me, how many times did you see Mahomes roll-out?? scrambles don't count.

Nevermind that why hasnt the drunk been fired , that adjustment wasnt made either

man, Bronco, you lost me.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2021 6:58PM

Hope it's ok with Bronco, I'll try to intervene. I think he was saying....

Nevermind that. (referring to prior comment) Why hasn't the drunk been fired? (referring to Reid's son) That adjustment wasn't made either.

@keets said:
    man, Bronco, you lost me.

@bronco2078 said:

@keets said:

Nevermind that why hasnt the drunk been fired , that adjustment wasnt made either

edited February 8, 2021 7:00PM

OK. personally, after the Browns had a bad experience with Mike Holmgren trying to be their GM from his California beachfront balcony I have a hard time looking at Andy Reid. I always see Mike Holmgren. :p

The drunk might have had all the playbooks and they were impounded in his car :D