Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Show us your coins/tokens with Elephants on them 🌞

Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 7, 2021 4:50PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here’s another token from my box I retrieved from the safety deposit box that I forgot about. How could I forget an elephant wearing boots? Anybody else have any elephants 🐘

Mr_Spud

Comments

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

A big owl with a small elephant from the dark side.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've long coveted the Carolina Elephant colonial token.
    Still hoping someday to acquire it's cheaper cousin, the London Elephant token....

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not know there were so many elephant coins.... I do not have one to contribute...but will keep a careful watch for one in a coinstar reject bin - since most seem not of U.S. origin... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Purchased from CRO several years ago, gave it to my daughter for Xmas this year - she likes elephants for some reason.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is an ancient Roman coin, of course. Julius Caesar took silver form the Roman Republic treasury which was in the Temple of Saturn. He had these pieces struck to pay his soldiers. This is by for the most common coin that was struck during Julius Caesar's lifetime. There are several varieties of this type. Here's the one in my collection. The reverse shows symbols of the Roman pontificate, the simpulum, sprinkler, axe, and apex.

Here is another variety of the Caesar elephant. I think this one looks like a pig with a trunk. The picture is from Heritage Auctions

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super hard to image through plastic but they are so thick and deep relief you can see a reflection of the elephants’ foot pads.
    Copper 2018 Gilt 40mm Thailand 2018 World Stamp Exhib. - Obverse Uniface NGC PF 69 ULTRA CAMEO 55 minted.

Silver 2018 60g Thailand 2018 World Stamp Exhib. #016 (on edge) NGC PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO
    188 minted. A hefty 2 ounce

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file