Home U.S. Coin Forum

More stolen coins in shipping

Comments

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Date: 10/29/20 (Update)
    Offense: Theft
    Location of offense: Denver, CO
    Investigating Agency: Denver Police Dept.

Details:

Re-issued $5,000 REWARD

The Numismatic Crime Information Center has been authorized to offer a $5,000 reward for the return of the coin pictured below. The coin was stolen at the recent Denver Coin Show.

1853 $20 USAOG 900-Thousandths PCGS MS64 107684435

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

How does a $40K coin leave the dealer's sight?

"Who needs risk management when you’ve got guaranteed bailouts? - Jesse Felder

Date:3/11/2021
    Offense: Lost Stolen
    Location of offense: OR to FL
    Investigating Agency: USPS

A USPS Priority Mail small flat rate box being shipped from OR to Florida arrived with the box damaged and contents missing.
    The package contained the following:
    2006-W American Gold Buffalo PR70 DCAM PCGS 9990.70/41904375

Date:3/9/2021
    Offense: Postal Theft
    Location of offense: NY to CA
    Investigating Agency: USPS

An Express Mail box sent from Long Island, NY to San Mateo, CA was slashed open and pilfered while it was weather-delayed en-route.
    The stolen contents were an 1856-S $20 PCGS MS62 CAC, serial number SSCA 5959 (SS Central America, part 1, gold label) and the accompanying SSCA box.
    Anyone with information contact:
    New York Gold Mart
    Info@NYGM.com
    516-365-5465
    or
    Doug Davis
    817-723-7231
    Doug@numismaticcrimes.org

Date:3/17/2021
    Location of offense: Washington to Florida
    Investigating Agency: Fedex

Details:

A FedEx package being shipped from Washington to Georgia arrived with
    contents missing.
    1874 Indian Cent-Ty 3 Bronze PCGS PR66RB PCGS #2310
    1909-D $5 Indian Head PCGS MS64+ (CAC) PCGS #8514
    Doug Davis
    817-723-7231

FWIW, putting a small box inside a flat rate padded envelope is only a few more pennies and adds to security.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am waiting for ups right now has my 4pc AGE set. I keep updating tracking “out for delivery” filling my pants over the dreaded “delivered” with no one coming to my door.

@HashTag said:

@291fifth said:
    Packages containing coins of this value should be shipped by Registered Mail ... period.

Their insurance maximum is $25 k. Won’t even cover some single coins.

Ins. max is $50K

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would never even attempt to ship anything without a fully Registered and insured package. I am thinking of sending "BagBurn" back in for reholder/TruView . . . then to John for a sticker. Every time it leaves my hand (it never really has in the last 10 years) . . . it will be insured to the max.

Drunner

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    I am waiting for ups right now has my 4pc AGE set. I keep updating tracking “out for delivery” filling my pants over the dreaded “delivered” with no one coming to my door.

My suggestion: Pour yourself a double adult beverage and sit quietly on your front porch. Listen to the wildlife and watch the world go by.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

Also looks like Stuppler and Co. was robbed:

Date:3/21/2021
    Offense: Burglary
    Location of offense: Woodland Hills CA
    Investigating Agency: Woodland Hills PD

Details:

The Woodland Hills, CA police department is investigating the burglary of
    Stuppler & Company which occurred on Sunday March 21, 2021. The suspects
    used crowbars to gain access to the building.
    The following link is a list of stolen property:

http://numismaticcrimes.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Stuppler-Breakin32221.xlsx
    Doug Davis
    817-723-7231

Offense: Lost/Stolen
    Location of offense: Transit FL to TX
    Investigating Agency: FedEx

DETAILS

A FedEx package being shipped from Florida to Texas has been reported
    missing/stolen. Last known location was at the Lubbock, Texas facility.
    The package contained the following coin:
    1907 PCGS MS 63 High Relief Wire Rim Saint Cert#60010073

Doug Davis
    817-723-7231

Investigating Agency: USPS/FedEx

DETAILS:

A dealer shipped two packages one via FedEx (overnight) from Nevada to Texas
    and the other USPS with signature from Nevada to Connecticut both have been
    reported missing/stolen.
    The package sent to Texas contained the following coin:
    1884-CC Liberty Head $20 TYPE 3 NGC AU-53
    https://files.constantcontact.com/f0e00abc001/ec93ff7c-c371-4c95-beb5-7d20e9e0d11c.jpg

The package sent to Connecticut contained the following coin:
    1878-CC MORGAN DOLLAR PCGS MS-65 PL CAC
    https://files.constantcontact.com/f0e00abc001/2748266b-c0bf-4025-a373-70c1a921ad62.jpg

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Packages containing coins of this value should be shipped by Registered Mail ... period.

Registered used to mean something. Not anymore. I have had registered packages missing for 6 weeks, with no signatures at points.

thefinn

@291fifth said:

Registered used to mean something. Not anymore. I have had registered packages missing for 6 weeks, with no signatures at points.

thefinn

@logger7 said:
    Investigating Agency: USPS/FedEx

DETAILS:

A dealer shipped two packages one via FedEx (overnight) from Nevada to Texas
    and the other USPS with signature from Nevada to Connecticut both have been
    reported missing/stolen.
    The package sent to Texas contained the following coin:
    1884-CC Liberty Head $20 TYPE 3 NGC AU-53
    https://files.constantcontact.com/f0e00abc001/ec93ff7c-c371-4c95-beb5-7d20e9e0d11c.jpg

The package sent to Connecticut contained the following coin:
    1878-CC MORGAN DOLLAR PCGS MS-65 PL CAC
    https://files.constantcontact.com/f0e00abc001/2748266b-c0bf-4025-a373-70c1a921ad62.jpg

Looks like the problem is in the NV post office.

thefinn
  • CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:
    lost packages suck but it is sort of the cost of doing business. The OP is especially tragic do to the size and I hope insurance is in play. I constantly think about one of my dream coins an 1870cc 20$ in NGC58 (finest known) that was stolen from an armored truck and never found :# Maybe we will get luckly and some crook will wear it down/handle a little and dip it and claim it a new discovery piece like the DuPont 54s (allegedly ;) ) and get it back into collector circles

People shouldn't play with money they cant afford to lose and unfortunately mailing money is a game. Sucks but it always has been

The Mods should Pin this list to the top of the forum for a few weeks due to the number of dealers on here as sets of eyes IMHO
    GL catching these sharts

That's terrible. If it gets worn down, would it be detectable due to a gold shield like tech? Also is that how the XF40 54s was "discovered"

@JimTyler said:

Why would you have a coin sent to your house, let alone one that could be dropped off at the porch?
    Get a P.O. Box!

thefinn

@AlexinPA said:
    I had two similar incidents with FedEx. In one, instead of delivering to my address, they left a $1,000.00 flat screen in a vacant building two blocks away. Signature was required.

I've had them leave a insured $1300 item that they just dropped it in the porch.. While signature confirmation was paid for...

@derryb said:
    How does a $40K coin leave the dealer's sight?

Seriously... Like man, that's on you..

• KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2021 8:50AM

@logger7 said:

Details:

Re-issued $5,000 REWARD

The Numismatic Crime Information Center has been authorized to offer a $5,000 reward for the return of the coin pictured below. The coin was stolen at the recent Denver Coin Show.

I assume that was the National Western Complex Oct 3-5 2020?
    Like I've said...this will be a great place for social distancing because it's enormous...I imagine any cameras were just too far away to see the suspect clearly if it happened from a table.

Does anyone know if it did actually happen on the bourse?

I saw some David Lisot video from that show and there were tons of unattended tables in the background. If it was in the main room the ceiling is about 75 feet high so it's likely cameras were pretty far away.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

So glad that I am evolving into more of a collector than wannabe dealer.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

@yspsales said:
    So glad that I am evolving into more of a collector than wannabe dealer.

Same here, the risks and headaches can be considerable.

Discrete packaging may help in some cases, but with high value gold cons security is vital with packaging/shipping/insurance and carrier.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang, Sorry to hear this. Wish you had a video surveillance so you could nail the Bstrd! I had a great internet connected system with 2 cameras and 30 days of memory installed a decade ago and it sure gives one a piece of mind. They are actually quite affordable these days.

@HashTag said:
    Just had a five figure coin stolen by “porch pirates” and no one seems to care. Both parties involved just want to pay the claim and seem to have ZERO interest in recovering it. This just might be the final nail in collecting for me. If I can’t do it in person (buying,selling, having coins graded, CAC etc.) then I have no interest, well interest yes but not willing to try anymore. This was my first experience with theft and definitely my last. I’ve refrained from posting about it as not to interfere with what I had hoped to be an investigation NOT!
    COVID sucks
    Thieves sucks
    and I’m tired of the worlds apathetic attitude.

Edited to add:
    “Get a post office box”, great idea I just learned of it too late.
    “Insure it to the maximum”, done.
    “Signature required”, done but worthless”
    I did everything except personally drive it to and from. All I want is MY coin; not a check for me to spend years looking for another. It wasn’t my most expensive coin but it was one of two coins that are/were the centerpieces of my collection.
    Rant over.

• GemstrikeGemstrike Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

Last week I found my Registered mail package from my NGC submission out on my front porch. It had been left sometime after 7 PM and found by my son after 9 PM. Thank you USPS! At least ring the doorbell.

@thefinn said:

@291fifth said:

but they arrived, didn't they.

• edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 12:00PM

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@edwardjulio said:
    @Kurisu
    @logger7 said:

Details:

Re-issued $5,000 REWARD

I assume that was the National Western Complex Oct 3-5 2020?
    Like I've said...this will be a great place for social distancing because it's enormous...I imagine any cameras were just too far away to see the suspect clearly if it happened from a table.

Does anyone know if it did actually happen on the bourse?

I saw some David Lisot video from that show and there were tons of unattended tables in the background. If it was in the main room the ceiling is about 75 feet high so it's likely cameras were pretty far away.

-The theft did occur at the Oct show. The coin was stolen from the Kagin table in the back bourse room from the main bourse. There was a security photo of the suspected thief. There was an attempt to sell the coin to a dealer in
    New Mexico after the theft, IIRC.

Thanks for the extra info... unfortunately I don't know anyone in New Mexico.
    But I will be going to pretty much every coin show in Denver and possibly Colorado. I also have family in Utah so I might eventually get to coin shows there as well if there are any.

I assume dealers have access to some of this and so the dealer realized it was on a stolen list?
    What is the website where some of this info on stolen coins can be accessed?
    Is the photo of the suspect posted?

I had some coins stolen from my locked mailbox last year but they ended up being covered by insurance and there was an investigation completed through USPS...also there was an HD camera only a few feet from and above the mailboxes someone pried open lol. I never got to find out what happened but now I'm more interested about reading about some of these thefts.

Total side note...but I was a federal employee for the last couple years (as management with the 2020 Census) and have been looking into continuing working for the government. I'm a bit older, in my 50's, but what is the route to becoming involved in investigating this kind of stuff...FBI work?

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 11:59AM

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2021 10:10AM

Shipping & Traveling with coins has risk. Be prepared for losses and have adequate insurance.

A friend dealer specializing in world gold said travel with his inventory very stressful even with security precautions. Looking over his shoulder all the time, the hassle of going thru airport security. Driving wb heavily armed.

At shows keep my cases locked if away, nothing leaves table unless purchased, pay close attention to people looking at material (say if going thru stack of notes), get rid of anyone trying horn in, / interrupt process, don’t waste inordinate amount of time with tire kickers / lookey looks. I have no problem referring them to a book or supplies dealer. Travel to and from show (if driving) nonstop and if do eat - eat in car / go drive thru if needed (looking be sure nobody following).

Coins & Currency

After the theft the criminals will be looking to fence the stolen items. Why can't google or other search algorithms field requests from law enforcement on suspicious searches, ie 1907 $20 Saint Gaudens High relief MS63 within hours of matched thefts in the same geographical area? I've heard of cases of of ripped off people getting tough, contacting all relevant buyers within driving distance afterwards. Pawn shops, coin shops, flea markets, Craigslist, gold buyers, etc. they all are potential fences.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are there any cameras in these places?

Date:4/21/2021
    Offense: Lost/Theft
    Incident location: Transit Dallas to Fort Worth

DETAILS:

A FedEx package being shipped priority overnight from Dallas to Beverly Hills,
    CA has been reported stolen/lost.

5 x 2017 $25 Palladium MS70 Eagles
    221 x Mint State Silver Eagles Raw in plastic Flips
    44 x NGC MS70 Silver Eagles 1986-2002

Doug Davis
    817-723-7231

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:

DETAILS:

A FedEx package being shipped priority overnight from Dallas to Beverly Hills,
    CA has been reported stolen/lost.

5 x 2017 $25 Palladium MS70 Eagles
    221 x Mint State Silver Eagles Raw in plastic Flips
    44 x NGC MS70 Silver Eagles 1986-2002

Doug Davis
    817-723-7231

That's a physically large box, wow.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, so sorry.
    :'(

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    Lack of getting required signature is a major factor.

Were any of these registered?

Except that unless you pay extra [which is dumb IMO] for restricted delivery, even the gardener can sign for a registered package. Sad that that isn't SOP for registered and they end up compromising the security of the service.

theknowitalltroll;
  • retirednowretirednow Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gee that narrows down the suspects ... Dallas to Fort Worth !

OMG ... My Mother was Right about Everything!
    I wake up with a Good Attitude Every Day. Then … Idiots Happen!

• RubiconRubicon Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

Is it safe to send coins to pcgs or cac registered insured via the post office? Has anybody had their coins lost or stolen this way?

• FishproFishpro Posts: 388 ✭✭✭

I’m working on a shipment to both, hope is safe.

Another theft reported by Doug Davis, be aware of this ruse:

Date:5/5/2021
    Investigating Agency: Chicago PD
    Incident location: Chicago Illinois

DETAILS:

Chicago police department is investigating a theft involving the loss of over
    $50,000 in coins from an elderly victim. The victim advised that a white male came
    to his door representing the power company and needed to do work in his back
    yard. The suspect requested the victim to accompany him to the alleyway where
    the work was to be performed. While the victim was in the back of his residence
    an unknown number of suspects entered his residence and was able breach two
    file cabinets.

The following is a partial listing of stolen coins.

1856 flying eagle cent PCGS AU50, 1856 Flying eagle cent PCGS XF45, 1916 Liberty Standing Quarter PCGS AU50, 1918/7 quarter PCGS AU50, 1932-d $10 dollar gold PCGS63, 1907 $20 gold UNC, 5 $5 gold pieces, 1921-P &; 1921-D Walking Liberty half UNC., 1921 Quarter XF-45, 1927-S Quarter xf40, 1916-D Mercury Dime VF-20
    No other information is available at this time.

Doug Davis
    817-723-7231

@Rubicon said:
    Is it safe to send coins to pcgs or cac registered insured via the post office? Has anybody had their coins lost or stolen this way?

The safest way I know of.

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:

Had 3 packages marked as delivered in 2 years .... . packages never delivered by post office ..stolen at postal station..get a p.o box ..or wait for carrier .... to deliver.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:

DETAILS:

$50,000 in coins from an elderly victim. The victim advised that a white male came
    file cabinets.

1856 flying eagle cent PCGS AU50, 1856 Flying eagle cent PCGS XF45, 1916 Liberty Standing Quarter PCGS AU50, 1918/7 quarter PCGS AU50, 1932-d $10 dollar gold PCGS63, 1907 $20 gold UNC, 5 $5 gold pieces, 1921-P &; 1921-D Walking Liberty half UNC., 1921 Quarter XF-45, 1927-S Quarter xf40, 1916-D Mercury Dime VF-20

Doug Davis
    817-723-7231

That is just awful.

@kaz said:

@logger7 said:

DETAILS:

file cabinets.

Doug Davis
    817-723-7231

That is just awful.

I have never understood the criminal mind and when criminals steal, and are known there need to be consequences. No honest person usually is prepared for a crime when it occurs. The rights to your possessions are a fundamental principle of law in our society.

I work part time in a major home improvement retailer, our local store does around $60 million gross a year, thefts run over $2 million in hardware alone, the whole store suffers over $7 million in theft. Due to company philosophy of business and fear of repercussions they have rejected tough law enforcement measures.

It shouldn't be that hard to turn up the heat, and between private detectives working on commission and a dedicated online community any truly rare coin with documentation should have a better chance of showing up.

• jkrkjkrk Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭✭

WE only ship registered. WE pay for shipping but a few customers have been a bit annoyed by a 7-14 day wait for delivery.

Recently, WE had a shipment that left NY ..shipped to Arizona which tracked as still in NY after 14 days. We started to lose faith that the coin would ever be delivered. The customer was certain it would never show.
    Finally, my wife had to open two cases before she saw results. 25 days after shipping the coin was safely delivered.
    A new record for our slowest delivery but still 100% deliveries to date.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2021 8:05PM

I think numismatic organizations that send things things that are obviously numismatic have a responsibility here.

For example, on some major auction house sites, they let you fine tune email delivery, but I don't see a way to block fliers and postcards with colorful photographs of very expensive coins on them. I'd prefer to not have those sent to my address.

@jkrk said:
    WE only ship registered. WE pay for shipping but a few customers have been a bit annoyed by a 7-14 day wait for delivery.

Recently, WE had a shipment that left NY ..shipped to Arizona which tracked as still in NY after 14 days. We started to lose faith that the coin would ever be delivered. The customer was certain it would never show.
    Finally, my wife had to open two cases before she saw results. 25 days after shipping the coin was safely delivered.
    A new record for our slowest delivery but still 100% deliveries to date.

That's Registered for you. No tracking during transport. I refuse to use Registered Mail anymore with the problems I have had. Express only.

thefinn

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file