Have you ever been camping?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you ever been camping before?

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love it. My wife hates it. We don't go camping

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2021 5:10PM

I have been camping a lot of times, almost too many to count. My uncle lives in Boulder Colorado, on Green mountain, and he is a wilderness addict. I have been there many times, and we always go camping. It is quite a thrill, especially at night when you can see the stars in the sky. We always had to be careful on Green mountain, because there are mountain lions and bears up there. Here is what Green mountain looks like.

I love a good fire at night, there's nothing like a good campfire at night. We always took beer and a radio with us also.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

we camp every summer. kids have a blast

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

DoubleD- Did things ever get squatchy up there on Green Mountain?
    Sorry I used to be addicted to 'Finding Bigfoot'. I know they did at least one show in Colorado.
    They never seemed to find Bigfoot but always claimed they heard him.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Darin said:
    Sorry I used to be addicted to 'Finding Bigfoot'. I know they did at least one show in Colorado.

There were stories of bigfoots being seen in the Colorado mountains, but we never spotted one. At night time after we put the campfire out and it was pitch dark, we would hear strange noises off in the distance, and it was very creepy. We were surrounded by miles of trees and woods, and it was pitch dark and strange noises would happen all night. You never knew what the heck was out there. It was very mysterious and scary at times.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

We used to camp quite a bit. My wife enjoyed it much more than myself. I'm afraid our physical condition prevents us from camping anymore.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Have you ever been camping before?

I recommend you edit the title to include "and don't lie" and then include this song as mandatory listening before responding. Just my opinion.

https://youtu.be/2WoxO5Nw0e0

@doubledragon said:
    I have been camping a lot of times, almost too many to count. My uncle lives in Boulder Colorado, on Green mountain, and he is a wilderness addict. I have been there many times, and we always go camping. It is quite a thrill, especially at night when you can see the stars in the sky. We always had to be careful on Green mountain, because there are mountain lions and bears up there. Here is what Green mountain looks like.

this. exact. spot. is where we should have our first inaugural Sports Talk meet'n'greet

Click agree to pre-register

edited February 1, 2021 4:37AM

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

this. exact. spot. is where we should have our first inaugural Sports Talk meet'n'greet

Ok, but if stevek gets eaten by a mountain lion, it's on your conscience!

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@Darin said:

There were stories of bigfoots being seen in the Colorado mountains, but we never spotted one. At night time after we put the campfire out and it was pitch dark, we would hear strange noises off in the distance, and it was very creepy. We were surrounded by miles of trees and woods, and it was pitch dark and strange noises would happen all night. You never knew what the heck was out there. It was very mysterious and scary at times.

we should get a scary stories in the woods thread started.

when I was young, myself, dad, my grandfather and uncle would pack up the truck and strike out for our camp in the north woods of Maine. It was a on a very secluded pond about 18 miles from the nearest town. in fact, there was no road to it and we had to pack a small boat with us to get across the pond to camp. we were the only ones on the pond and there was some great trout fishing. well, the boat was small, so dad brought me and my uncle across and dropped us off and went back to pick up my grandfather. Uncle took the jugs on the trail behind the camp to the brook to get water and left me alone at the camp. now, I had been alone there many times and it was no big deal. I would just do kid things and shoot my bb gun to pass the time. this day however felt very different. uncle hadn't been gone for long and I got the most terrible feeling all the way down to my gut. I felt as though I was being watched. I then noticed the woods had gone silent. and I mean completely silent. no birds, chipmunks, no sound at all. totally erie. all the hair on the back of my neck stood up and I heard something big, like moose big, walking through the woods just out of sight. whatever it was stunk to high heavens and didn't seem very concerned about me as it was not running.

I have no idea what it was. my uncle never heard or saw anything. I have been around bear, moose, deer etc in the woods many many times. bear can have an odor, but this was different. more pungent. It could have been something as simple as a moose and I just got spooked. I was a kid after all, but I booked it for camp and locked myself in. that was the most scared I have ever been in the woods in my life.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2021 8:00AM

When I spent summers in MI staying with the grandparents my grandfather would set up their giant tent on the land for me and my cousins to camp. Would have a nice fire going and cast iron skillet eggs and bacon for breakfast. Was a huge tent, I think it could sleep 8-10.

Caught the northern lights one evening we were in the tent in the thumb, was pretty cool that far south. Saw them in the UP many times when I was living in Marquette going to NMU.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

My favorite Boulder Colorado story:

So i'm staying in a nice motel in Boulder Colorado on a one week business seminar regarding a company product and various aspects of it. Reps from all over the country were there. Around twenty of us and the company paid for everything and had us sleeping two per room.

So anyway, it's mid-week and we're all getting a little bit bored. So after the day's seminar around three o'clock, my roommate decides to rent a car, and me along with two other reps we became friendly with, chipped in for a rental car and decided to do some sight seeing in the beautiful area of Boulder.

i had gotten to know my roommate over a few days, and while he was highly intelligent, he had just a mild crazy streak in him regarding drinking and some other things. Anyway, so my roommate is driving the rental car and we all decide to drive up the local mountain just to see the wonderful view. I'm sitting in the back of the car on the passenger side.

Around half way up the mountain, i'm noticing looking out the window, that on most of the road, there are absolutely no guardrails of any kind. The distance between the car going off the road and us plunging countless feet off the cliff to a certain death is alarmingly small.

Well my roommate is driving way too fast for these type of conditions, and all three of us are politely asking him to please slow down. But with his chit eating grin, keeps telling us not to worry about it, that he had driven up mountains like this many times before. I knew he was from Minnesota, and i didn't recall any mountains in Minnesota, so i think he was lying about that, but i didn't say anything.

So i'm sitting in the car thinking to myself, I'm going to die from driving off a cliff by a guy named, yep you guessed it...Cliff. LOL

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

I eat mountain lions for a snack. ;)

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

A thread about camping started by @doubledragon and within a few posts bigfoot is already being discussed. I can hardly wait to see where this one goes.

Carry on, guys. I'm looking forward to this one.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

So i'm staying in a nice motel in Boulder Colorado on a one week business seminar regarding a company product and various aspects of it. Reps from all over the country were there. Around twenty of us and the company paid for everything and had us sleeping two per room.

So anyway, it's mid-week and we're all getting a little bit bored. So after the day's seminar around three o'clock, my roommate decides to rent a car, and me along with two other reps we became friendly with, chipped in for a rental car and decided to do some sight seeing in the beautiful area of Boulder.

i had gotten to know my roommate over a few days, and while he was highly intelligent, he had just a mild crazy streak in him regarding drinking and some other things. Anyway, so my roommate is driving the rental car and we all decide to drive up the local mountain just to see the wonderful view. I'm sitting in the back of the car on the passenger side.

Around half way up the mountain, i'm noticing looking out the window, that on most of the road, there are absolutely no guardrails of any kind. The distance between the car going off the road and us plunging countless feet off the cliff to a certain death is alarmingly small.

Well my roommate is driving way too fast for these type of conditions, and all three of us are politely asking him to please slow down. But with his chit eating grin, keeps telling us not to worry about it, that he had driven up mountains like this many times before. I knew he was from Minnesota, and i didn't recall any mountains in Minnesota, so i think he was lying about that, but i didn't say anything.

So i'm sitting in the car thinking to myself, I'm going to die from driving off a cliff by a guy named, yep you guessed it...Cliff. LOL

Well don't leave us hanging on that cliff hanger.... then what happened?

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

i would certainly hate for this to happen, but if it does, can i please have stevek's auto'd Curtis Enis Penn St. ball

thank you and RIP in advance

@stevek, Whenever I visit my uncle, he lives in a nice house at the very top of Green mountain. I know what you mean about the roads having no guard rails. I always make sure to go slow and cautiously for obvious reasons. One other thing about driving up the mountain, my ears would always have pressure in them and pop from the rise in elevation. I always hate that. Boulder is an outdoors type and my uncle is also a bigtime rock climber. He always insists that we go rock climbing. He's even traveled out of the country and climbed the Matterhorn. Back in the early 2000's, he took a crack at climbing Mt. McKinley in Alaska, but became sick and had to be taken down. On Mt. McKinley, the temperature can get so cold, it will freeze you to death. In the winter, the temperature can get into the -140s. The Boulder community are nuts about mountain and rock climbing.

@AFLfan said:
    A thread about camping started by @doubledragon and within a few posts bigfoot is already being discussed. I can hardly wait to see where this one goes.

Carry on, guys. I'm looking forward to this one.

Gene Tenace will show up on page 2

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

B)

edited February 1, 2021 10:12AM

I even know a guy from Boulder that attempted to climb K2, the second highest mountain in the world. It is also the hardest mountain to climb in the world, and the deadliest. People that have climbed Everest have gone to K2 and died trying to climb it. It is nicknamed "the savage mountain" for a reason. My uncle has instilled in me a fascination for mountain climbing.

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

Well don't leave us hanging on that cliff hanger.... then what happened?

That night at the motel bar i drank heavily. LOL

@stevek said:

B)

Ah yes, I know all about Roger Patterson and Bob Gimlin's famous footage of bigfoot at Bluff Creek back in the 60s. I would love to go camping there just for the thrill.

@doubledragon said:
    @stevek, Whenever I visit my uncle, he lives in a nice house at the very top of Green mountain. I know what you mean about the roads having no guard rails. I always make sure to go slow and cautiously for obvious reasons. One other thing about driving up the mountain, my ears would always have pressure in them and pop from the rise in elevation. I always hate that. Boulder is an outdoors type and my uncle is also a bigtime rock climber. He always insists that we go rock climbing. He's even traveled out of the country and climbed the Matterhorn. Back in the early 2000's, he took a crack at climbing Mt. McKinley in Alaska, but became sick and had to be taken down. On Mt. McKinley, the temperature can get so cold, it will freeze you to death. In the winter, the temperature can get into the -140s. The Boulder community are nuts about mountain and rock climbing.

I've participated in many different types of sports in my lifetime...rock climbing will never be one of them. LOL

@galaxy27 said:

@doubledragon said:

i would certainly hate for this to happen, but if it does, can i please have stevek's auto'd Curtis Enis Penn St. ball

thank you and RIP in advance

I think it's so wonderful to have friends on the internet who care.

As a reward for such devoted friendship, i've instructed my attorney to adjust my will to include your request, and to add a Carson Wentz PSA 6 rookie card.

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

B)

Ah yes, I know all about Roger Patterson and Bob Gimlin's famous footage of bigfoot at Bluff Creek back in the 60s. I would love to go camping there just for the thrill.

And perhaps meet the guy who was in that Bigfoot costume. LOL

Rock climbing is a scary sport, and it's not one of my favorite things to do either. Alex Honnold actually climbed El Capitan in Yosemite without any ropes at all. It is a vertical granite wall over 1,200 feet high. He climbed it with no ropes which means if he would have made one little mistake and slipped up, he would have fallen and died instantly. Here is a picture if him on El Capitan.

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

B)

That was a real live bigfoot, I refuse to believe otherwise!

@doubledragon said:
    Rock climbing is a scary sport, and it's not one of my favorite things to do either. Alex Honnold actually climbed El Capitan in Yosemite without any ropes at all. It is a vertical granite wall over 1,200 feet high. He climbed it with no ropes which means if he would have made one little mistake and slipped up, he would have fallen and died instantly. Here is a picture if him on El Capitan.

I realize what they say about mountain climbing that if you have to ask why they do it, you'll never understand it...which is why i never bother asking. LOL

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

B)

If the pic would have been autographed by Bigfoot, and certified by PSA, only then would i have believed it. :)

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

B)

If the pic would have been autographed by Bigfoot, and certified by PSA, only then would i have believed it. :)

That bigfoot is still out there somewhere. If it's not, then his son is!

@YoloBagels said:
    First post here on CU.

Before covid I went camping pretty often, usually at least 10 times a year. I am an assistant scoutmaster in my BSA troop and was a youth for 12 years so I'm used to it. It's also a very nostalgic and calming experience for me.

I live in GA where it's perfect camping weather almost all the time. My favorite campouts were spent at Camp Thunder in Molena and in Unicoi north near Helen. I also got to go to the 2019 world jamboree as a youth scout which is a life changing experience.

It's definitely worth doing every once in a while. Here's some of my favorite pics from campouts.

@YoloBagels, Very nice pictures and welcome to the forum!

One time when we were camping, it must have been about 1 a.m., it was pitch black dark, nothing but miles of woods around us, we started hearing strange noises off in the distance. I'll never forget it. It sounded like a weird tree cracking sound, like something was cracking small trees in half. It went on periodically for hours. It scared the heck out of me, I honestly thought about some type of bigfoot creature. This sound wasn't like an animal, it was like somebody was cracking a small tree in half or something.

@craig44 said:

@doubledragon said:

@Darin said:

we should get a scary stories in the woods thread started.

when I was young, myself, dad, my grandfather and uncle would pack up the truck and strike out for our camp in the north woods of Maine. It was a on a very secluded pond about 18 miles from the nearest town. in fact, there was no road to it and we had to pack a small boat with us to get across the pond to camp. we were the only ones on the pond and there was some great trout fishing. well, the boat was small, so dad brought me and my uncle across and dropped us off and went back to pick up my grandfather. Uncle took the jugs on the trail behind the camp to the brook to get water and left me alone at the camp. now, I had been alone there many times and it was no big deal. I would just do kid things and shoot my bb gun to pass the time. this day however felt very different. uncle hadn't been gone for long and I got the most terrible feeling all the way down to my gut. I felt as though I was being watched. I then noticed the woods had gone silent. and I mean completely silent. no birds, chipmunks, no sound at all. totally erie. all the hair on the back of my neck stood up and I heard something big, like moose big, walking through the woods just out of sight. whatever it was stunk to high heavens and didn't seem very concerned about me as it was not running.

I have no idea what it was. my uncle never heard or saw anything. I have been around bear, moose, deer etc in the woods many many times. bear can have an odor, but this was different. more pungent. It could have been something as simple as a moose and I just got spooked. I was a kid after all, but I booked it for camp and locked myself in. that was the most scared I have ever been in the woods in my life.

Very entertaining story, you never know what is out there. The woods can be a very creepy place sometimes, especially at night time. I've camped out by myself at night and have heard some scary and weird noises at times. It is really scary sometimes when you're far away from civilization.

I'll tell you what, watch this movie and you'll think twice about going into the woods at night.

edited February 1, 2021 11:22AM

My uncles home up on Green mountain has a lot of glass type doors and stuff and a lot of windows with no curtains that you can see in and out of, and the home is isolated and surrounded by nothing but forest. At night, you always have the feeling you're being watched by something outside. I don't see how how he lives like that. I was in the home one night by myself, and I felt like I was being watched the whole time. I was scared to even go to the fridge to make a sandwich. I actually started carrying a golf club around the house with me it got so unnerving.

Have any of you seen or remember this kind of dark 80s camping movie with Kevin Bacon? If we do that forum meetup on the mountain, it just might slightly go a little like this... :D

https://youtu.be/2VVVhy_DV24

@thisistheshow said:
    Have any of you seen or remember this kind of dark 80s camping movie with Kevin Bacon? If we do that forum meetup on the mountain, it just might slightly go a little like this... :D

No, but I've seen Deliverance. I think I'll do the forum meet up via Zoom thank you very much

m

@Justacommeman said:

@thisistheshow said:

No, but I've seen Deliverance. I think I'll do the forum meet up via Zoom thank you very much

m

I was actually going to joke that it would be a combination of that Kevin Bacon movie and Deliverance, but I went with just the one.

why am i under the impression that if we had a forum camping powwow my sleep would be broken about 50 times/night with someone asking, "did you hear that?"

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Rock climbing is a scary sport, and it's not one of my favorite things to do either. Alex Honnold actually climbed El Capitan in Yosemite without any ropes at all. It is a vertical granite wall over 1,200 feet high. He climbed it with no ropes which means if he would have made one little mistake and slipped up, he would have fallen and died instantly.

He made a documentary about it. Worth watching. Netflix I think.

@hammer1, I'm going to have to check that out. That guy is crazy!

You see, this is the kind of thing I'm scared will happen. At the sports forum meet and greet, stevek gets lost in the wilderness and has an encounter with a bigfoot....

@doubledragon said:
    You see, this is the kind of thing I'm scared will happen. At the sports forum meet and greet, stevek gets lost in the wilderness and has an encounter with a bigfoot....

No problem, we'll just invite Bigfoot to our fireside poker game, with all the beer and pretzels he can consume, and he'll be very happy.

I would suggest we all muck to him some nut hands we have, so he goes away a winner, just in case Bigfoot doesn't like to lose. The last thing we need is a hissed off Bigfoot on our hands.

edited February 1, 2021 2:15PM

I suspect a lot of farting which will only temporarily mask the lingering smell of BenGay

I can so see stevek trying that pull my finger gag

m

edited February 1, 2021 2:29PM

extended footage from previous sports talk nature gatherings

number 10 - double d, stevek and bronco tried the flaming poop gag on sasquatch and it didn't exactly go according to plan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJI9OG5QKYE

The more I think about it we better ask AFLfan to be a chaperone.

m

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

No problem, we'll just invite Bigfoot to our fireside poker game, with all the beer and pretzels he can consume, and he'll be very happy.

I would suggest we all muck to him some nut hands we have, so he goes away a winner, just in case Bigfoot doesn't like to lose. The last thing we need is a hissed off Bigfoot on our hands.

I'm out of the loop, what does that mean?

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

I'm out of the loop, what does that mean?

No, don't worry, you're in the loop. And perkdog can bring his poker table. Although if bigfoot is playing poker with us, I suggest we not use money to bet with because bigfoot has no use for money, instead I suggest we play with squirrel droppings. Bigfoot like squirrel droppings!