Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's the longest you've ever waited for the right coin and found it?

renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 31, 2021 10:11AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I define "right coin" as one that you intend to keep.

Last week I bought an S-3 1856 cent PR65+ that ended a 35 year search. This is only my third of this variety ever having owned.

Cert lookup:

https://pcgs.com/cert/40959199

My old record was an 1809 cent in AU55 that ended a 10 year search. This is perhaps my fourth of this variety.

I'd still like to find a nice 1864-L proof cent and an AMERI. (I have owned one of each, but didn't keep them) And I'd love to get my old '55DDO back from Bill C.

Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

beautiful coin
    hope you pass it on to a grandchild. :)

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been searching for a circulated 1863 three cent silver (F-AU-slabbed or raw) for over 45 years to no avail. Still searching. I either miss them at auctions or they are not the right coin or they are proofs. I never give up. I may find one eventually. I have all the other dates of 3 cent silver coins from 1864-1872 in circulated business strike conditions. I search everywhere, coin shops, coin shows, auctions, ebay, dealers that specialize in coins that are pre1892, such as Brian Greer, Gerry Fortin, Gene Bruder, J.J. Teaparty, West Coast Coins, and a host of others. Sometimes even Googling "1863 three cent silver".

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eight+ years and I'm still looking. I located it on a Friday two years ago but then waited until the next Monday to call the dealer. Big mistake.

• Options
    edited January 31, 2021 11:55AM

And..,..there is a coin featured in a current auction that I've been waiting 3 or 4 years to locate. It's not terribly expensive but it's a perfect fit. I'm placing a ridiculous bid. I don't care. I want it.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been searching for an 1827 O-120 for several years in AU50 or above. Never seen one for sale. Seen several that PCGS and NGC labeled O-120 and were even sold by auction houses as such, only for me to see the die crack on the reverse 😑

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking for a quality 1873-CC Seated Dollar for years. Can't seem to locate one that hasn't been messed with in some capacity. Long search!!

• Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renomedphys said:
    I define "right coin" as one that you intend to keep.

Last week I bought an S-3 1856 cent PR65+ that ended a 35 year search. This is only my third of this variety ever having owned.

Cert lookup:

https://pcgs.com/cert/40959199

My old record was an 1809 cent in AU55 that ended a 10 year search. This is perhaps my fourth of this variety.

I'd still like to find a nice 1864-L proof cent and an AMERI. (I have owned one of each, but didn't keep them) And I'd love to get my old '55DDO back from Bill C.

Cheers!

Wow. Great coins and great patience. Would love to see your collection?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still looking

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options

@SkyMan said:
    I was born in 1958 and Franklins are a favorite coin series. In the Franklin proof series 1958 is a tougher date to find with deep cameo proof appearance, and almost impossible to find with ultimate two sided deep cameo black and white contrast. There is only one die pair that is known to produce this appearance, and even with that pair, probably only the first 12 - 15 strikes (well, double strikes given the proof process) produced a 1958 Franklin with that ultimate level of contrast. After 17 years of searching I found one of these proofs...

Wow! That's a looker Skyman. Fantastic!!!

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    I suppose it's this one. I've always liked Sommer Islands coins and have handled a fair number of them since the early 80's, but this is my first threepence, purchased about a year ago. Now all I need is a sixpence to complete the denomination set.

that's beautiful Andy

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking PR65 - 56 cent :)

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not US coinage but I'd gladly buy temporary decent fillers in average circulated for many dates in my primary series, but I haven't even seen this with most. Going on 19 years and counting and over a decade since I have been actively looking.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2021 5:22PM

I started collecting with Lincoln cents out of circulation. I always hoped to find one but never did. 20+ years later, I bought one for my collection.

edited to add... an 09-S VDB, that is. Doh!

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW !! Decades looking for " that " coin ? Kinda makes my piddly little 3 year search seem like nothing.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my case, I could have found what I was looking for much sooner- it was more a matter of when "what I want" and "what I can afford" happened to intersect.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked for over 10 years for a 1957 Cameo proof nickel in OGP before I finally found one. That was a good hobby day.

Still looking for a 1956 type 1 Cameo proof half in OGP. Over 20 years now. No luck yet.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

12 years. Twice

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

A decade.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

A decade to land my white-whale. It can be a tough adjustment to pull the fish in and realize it’s time to head back to shore. Sitting out in the boat in most of the fun.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the definition in the OP, all my coins are the 'right coins'... and I must still be waiting for another 'right coin' since I am still acquiring. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Based on the definition in the OP, all my coins are the 'right coins'... and I must still be waiting for another 'right coin' since I am still acquiring. ;) Cheers, RickO

The next coin that I buy will be the right coin. I don't know what it is yet but I'll know it when I see it. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin all. Yes perry hall wedo have to wait for the good stuff

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 20 years, wanting one with a full unclipped flan and no bends, wear etc.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I began my first "penny board" in 1955, barely old enough to be able to read. I collected from circulation until 1965, when a coin shop opened near my home. The 1909-S VDB was always a dream, but even when I began working, and could have saved enough to buy one (if I'd had the self-discipline), I purchased large quantities of less expensive coins, many of which have performed extremely well over the years, but I still lacked the S-VDB. Last year, I resolved to attempt to complete some of my sets that had gaps. When I saw the MS65RB coin below, it seemed to be the right mix of eye appeal and price, so after 65 years I have that slot filled!

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, Cocoinut! 65 Years! That has to be the record.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 years wow! I got lucky and found a 1909-S vdb in circulation about 1963 when I was 12. I still have it. Congrats on that one!

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cocoinut said:
    I began my first "penny board" in 1955, barely old enough to be able to read. I collected from circulation until 1965, when a coin shop opened near my home. The 1909-S VDB was always a dream, but even when I began working, and could have saved enough to buy one (if I'd had the self-discipline), I purchased large quantities of less expensive coins, many of which have performed extremely well over the years, but I still lacked the S-VDB. Last year, I resolved to attempt to complete some of my sets that had gaps. When I saw the MS65RB coin below, it seemed to be the right mix of eye appeal and price, so after 65 years I have that slot filled!

That's about as close to red as you can get without the designation--gorgeous example, especially for the grade/color!

@renomedphys said:
    Nice coin, Cocoinut! 65 Years! That has to be the record.

He's cheating. Some of use would have relive our whole lives up until now to tie him.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still looking for the right Gothic Crown after about a 15 year search!! Actually came across "the one" over ten years ago at Long Beach, but $16.5k seemed too much of a stretch for an OGH 65 with beautiful toning at the time. Still kicking myself!

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of our members has an extremely nice XF45 1901-S half, They know who they are. :)
    It will be worth the wait and I don't even collect Barber Halves anymore.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    specksynderspecksynder Posts: 26 ✭✭✭

Started a Classic Commem type set, calling it my 20-year set, figuring it would take that long to finish it as a back-burner project. Took more like 7 years.

I was able to pick up a mint state Spanish trail, a pretty nice Hudson, and even an Isabella quarter I'm proud of, by waiting and being in the right place at the right time.

After watching several Hawaii's for a while, found a nice piece in an NGC UNC Details holder. It arrived and looked nicer in hand than in the photos. The day I bought it, a dealer I know had bought an entire commem set, thinking he had a built-in buyer for the Hawaii. He made me a smoking deal on a coin I later got into an AU details holder and flipped.

So after looking for 7 years, I owned TWO Hawaii commems for about a month.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know yet. Still looking....

:)

• Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Sweet F.E.C.

Here is a recent Buff aquisition

Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    cccoinscccoins Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭

I started looking for a specific major rarity yesterday, and found it by 1:00pm today. I will post pictures and details in the future. I had just received confirmation that a lower grade example that I owned sold, so I had the cash to upgrade.

I have been pretty lucky and found things fairly quickly. For example, I was looking for this exact coin a few years ago, and it shook loose on its own, and founds its was to me within 45 days:

https://images.pcgs.com/TrueView/41400227_Medium.jpg?v=1612327218462

I had no chance of being able to but the other four examples extant. However if you own the NGC40 example, let me know and we can do cash and trade, or just cash. :-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file