Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Where’s all the gold proofs...

HashTagHashTag Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

...I’ve looked through the sets and can’t find them. In particular the 1879’s. HA just auctioned off a $1 PF 55 for $4k but that’s all I’ve seen in the past 6 years with the exception of a 1879 $10 PF 55 again that went for $11k. Who deals in 19th century gold proofs?
Yes, I know only 30 were minted of each with less than 10-20 known to exist. But, someone is sitting on them as I sit here and age myself.

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

David Lawrence has 26 classic gold proofs on their site right now. They may not be what you’re looking for but there are some there.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proof gold coins in less than PR-60 are rather unusual. Technically the only way that can happen is if the coin circulated for a very short time. I suppose that numismatic storage damage could cause it too.

Still a Proof gold coin would have been something that wealthy 19th century collector would bought and held.

You also have to remember than almost all of the annual mintages were under 100 pieces. The most obvious exceptions were the gold dollars from 1883 to 1889. They were bought in larger quantities.

Bottom line: Your are looking for scarce items in all grades.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proof gold is very rare. If you take out "common" date quarter eagle proofs (1900-1907) and the more common proof gold dollar dates (dates after 1882) they just dont show up on any regular basis. My impression is that collectors who collect proof gold keep their collections private. Take the Tyrant for example---the most amazing $10 proof gold collection and it was only in the last couple years that it became public.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    David Lawrence has 26 classic gold proofs on their site right now. They may not be what you’re looking for but there are some there.

I went and looked. Dang he has some nice looking coins.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2021 6:45PM

1879 G$1 PR: 11 auction appearances in the past 10 years. So about one per year on average.
    This also gives you a good look at part of the potentially available population.

https://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices/details/1879-pr/97629

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HashTag

If you aren't already aware, another source of info on some rarer coins sometimes shows up in roster listings on Heritage lots and sometimes at other companies.

It often has more info than PCGS CoinFacts. Other times it is similar and occasionally CoinFacts has something more.

They don't always do a roster and even when they have done one, they don't always use it each time they sell another example.

Here is a lot with the latest roster listing for the 1879 $10 Proof from 2013. Though they sold the NGC Proof-55 in 2015, there was no roster listed. It is now several years out of date, but it can give an additional view of what was known and how often they trade and how many are off the market in museums etc.

A search on Heritage for 1879 gold dollars and roster brought up zero results, so it seems there isn't one for those.

I would guess some collectors and dealers of such items might have there own private rosters of what exists and where they might be.
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/proof-liberty-eagles/1879-10-pr65-cameo-ngc/a/1182-3980.s?hdnJumpToLot=1&x=0&y=0

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a picture of mine from 1879.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold coins are beautiful... Proof gold coins are exceptionally beautiful.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file