Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Possible $20 Omega Counterfeit?

sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real removed, fake inserted. Two prongs broken off on reverse.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's counterfeit, but that's no Omega

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

I've seen plenty of lightly circulated High Reliefs but few in jewelry. I figured that if it was an Omega, someone here would want it anyway. Even a beat up genuine jewelry piece is worth significantly more than melt but not this one as a non-Omega fake. Not my thing, but I found it interesting, anyway.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

@pursuitofliberty said:
    It's counterfeit, but that's no Omega

I don't know. I'm seeing something in that claw.

Why do you think it's not an Omega? I can't tell from this photo.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2021 10:32AM

Looks cast because of all the little voids. (pockmarks)
    The Omega was a very high quality struck coin.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:
    Looks cast because of all the little voids. (pockmarks)
    The Omega was a very high quality struck coin.

In addition to that, look at how unevenly weak the eagle’s neck and lower tail feathers are.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

The rough surfaces look more like jewelry wear to me, but hard to tell. They claim it tested 90% gold. Same as the Mexican 50 Pesos that our alleged counterfeiter is supposed to have used, according to a very popular thread from a couple of years ago.

Didn't sell too far above melt ($2688 vs about $2100 melt), if you consider the mount and BP, but it's one ugly coin (condition-wise) or imitation thereof. It's no longer the attractive piece of jewelry that it once was and is near the end of it's useful life, even as a jewelry piece.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Melt is more like 1787 right now........

• Options

@thebeav said:
    Melt is more like 1787 right now........

I was including the mount and guessed at weight/value plus the coin.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just judging from the pictures, I would pass... worn, if authentic, and I am not sure it is...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is not an attractive mount, rather crude, I could agree with the aforementioned on the "coin".

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file