Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Attack of the Newbie Buyers! - has everyone gotten lazy?

ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love that new money is coming into the hobby. It raises the tide for all of us. However the flood of new buyers on ebay has been amusing when I get message offers. I guess it's true, everything comes back in fashion eventually.

1. "Can you sell item X for a low price because it is for my son/grandson?"
  2. "Your card has X defect and would grade low by PSA, therefore you should take my 50% offer". This is for a high end modern listing where I point out all of the details on the card and price the card accordingly. He actually copied and pasted my own description in his email.
  3. "I'm running low on funds, can you sell item X for 40% less than market average" I didn't realize modern boxes are a necessity when you are running low on money.
  4. "I will only pay $x for that item and but I will pay immediately" Of course I would pay immediately if someone gave me a great deal.
  5. "I'm new to the hobby and prices are really high. Can you sell item X for pre-spike price?"

There are more but I have started to ignore the more crazy lowball offers. I think some of the #5 bidders are actually sincere since these price spikes are shocking to all of us. I can sense the frustration in their messages.

Mike

Comments

• It's not just in cards, I have been getting messages like these for literally everything I've sold over the last 6 months. I listed a few cellular phones on eBay after I upgraded a couple and would get ridiculously low offers to buy literally within minutes of listing.

I am sure there are some legitimately upset buyers frustrated with the run up in prices, but the cynic in me thinks they are spinning a sob story attempting to buy low and flip high.

• i_am_jaymaci_am_jaymac Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited January 31, 2021 7:09PM

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just for the record my grandfather and father never bought cards for me. They both thought it was a waste of time and money. I would respectfully like to tell them.............HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW!.......Respectfully.

Mike
  • blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is them listening to gary vee and his words of "always be hustling". always start out at 50% of my asking price even when there's no "best offer". it's disrespectful and old, imo.

• detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2021 6:33AM

I have NEVER understood the "I will pay immediately" tactic when trying to work a deal on an ebay buy-it-now. Do you think sellers typically let buyers run a tab like these guys or something:

And for me personally, even more annoying than the "I can barely feed my kids so will you please consider $850 for the pop 12,000,000 PSA 10 Luka Doncic pink camo wave refractor card that is going for $1500?" message is the following message:

I always reply with "Que?"

• 76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

HAHA. I get this as well. I have a 57 Mays with no creases that is dead centered for sale for 97 bucks. A guy offers me 50 and says he doesn't think it would grade high. I'm like bro, if it would grade high do you think I'd sell a 57 Mays for less than a 100 bucks ? GTFOH.

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman

@detroitfan2 said:

stealing this! hope that's O.Que!

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s chaos out there. Cover your butts.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.

@blurryface said:

@detroitfan2 said:

It's even better if you can figure out how to get the upside down question mark before the "Que?".

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can add one. I rarely sell things now, but I do have a couple of eBay listings at the moment. I had a guy ask if he could BIN my item and then pay me in March.

Hmmm.. Let me think about that... Um, no.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

I've been getting "Would you take X because book price is X."

Uh... book price is meaningless, and ESPECIALLY in this market.

• @Copyboy1 said:
    I've been getting "Would you take X because book price is X."

Uh... book price is meaningless, and ESPECIALLY in this market.

Book price. That's hilarious.

edited January 29, 2021 2:18PM

@detroitfan2 said:

@blurryface said:

@detroitfan2 said:

It's even better if you can figure out how to get the upside down question mark before the "Que?".

¿como?

but in all seriousness, just hold the question mark down on your ipad/iphone. 😉

@tulsaboy said:
    Enh. I will also offer a different perspective...there are a ton of items on ebay that are way overpriced, despite the recent surge. I have no qualms about sending an offer on a "make an offer" item that is where I think the market indicates the item should be priced. Even if that is half of the seller's asking price. Every once in a while someone accepts. People forget that the fundamentals between buyers and sellers is willing seller/willing buyer. If someone posts an item at a silly price, but it's a neat item, I will make a reasonable offer. If they say no, that's fine. But sometimes they say yes.
    kevin

When I list on ebay, I want to sell. I doubt anyone here is against haggling. What you're talking about is completely different from the tactics that the newbies are using. Does anyone here still fall for the "Insult the Product and make a lowball offer like they're doing you a favor" tactic?

Mike
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

My all time favorite ebay seller!! I exchanged a few msgs with him back in the day.....Man, I wish I had that kind of spare time now

• tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

Gotta love the sellers that have access to the women who will model in lingerie for the pics of their items. Too bad most of them look like meth addicts. I'm like, are you using your daughters, your nieces, your wife, your mistress, all of the above? Wth???

• VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2021 3:18PM

I actually had a guy offer me $300 for this just two weeks ago. It’s a Pop 1 on top of that. The card alone in raw form was going for $200. Three-hundred-dollars! :D

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vagabond said:
    I actually had a guy offer me $300 for this just two weeks ago. It’s a Pop 1 on top of that. The card alone in raw form was going for $200. Three-hundred-dollars! :D

Brian: Lady, seven bucks for a used Juan Soto card? I'll give you five.

Card Store Customer: Ugh-huh, he autographed it himself.

Brian: All right, I'll give you four.

• balco758balco758 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread.

I worry the MJ is partially market manipulation. I’ve seen dealers with stacks of rookies in the past. So, anything is possible. It’s certainly not entirely that, but I wonder.

I have an 86 (9) and 87 (10) that my gut is telling me need to be sold.

But, I don’t want to.

@balco758 said:
    Great thread.

I worry the MJ is partially market manipulation. I’ve seen dealers with stacks of rookies in the past. So, anything is possible. It’s certainly not entirely that, but I wonder.

But, I don’t want to.

Hold it. Those who sold there 9's and especially their 10's earlier last year lost out big time. They all thought they could sell their 86 Jordan's for 80K when prices really started soaring last year thinking that prices would then drop again and that they could rebuy it for half that price and pocket the remaining half but the problem with that was that it never happened. Prices just continued going up and the card is breaking records with every sale and it's happening right now as you read this. Those who sold them early left a TON of money on the table. I also have an 87 in a PSA 10 and I do not plan on selling it. The 86 Jordan in a PSA 10 will be a million dollar card one day, that's not even a question. Now think about what the 87's in PSA 10 will be worth when that happens. I am guessing about 400K+. If you don't need the money, then it would be wise to hold onto it.

@Vagabond said:

@balco758 said:
    Great thread.

But, I don’t want to.

Hold it. Those who sold there 9's and especially their 10's earlier last year lost out big time. They all thought they could sell their 86 Jordan's for 80K when prices really started soaring last year thinking that prices would then drop again and that they could rebuy it for half that price and pocket the remaining half but the problem with that was that it never happened. Prices just continued going up and the card is breaking records with every sale and it's happening right now as you read this. Those who sold them early left a TON of money on the table. I also have an 87 in a PSA 10 and I do not plan on selling it. The 86 Jordan in a PSA 10 will be a million dollar card one day, that's not even a question. Now think about what the 87's in PSA 10 will be worth when that happens. I am guessing about 400K+. If you don't need the money, then it would be wise to hold onto it.

If there are gold bricks in the hobby, the Jordan RC in PSA 9/10 is one of them.

Mike
  • rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

Love the post, I saw the Jordan on eBay this week and had the same head scratching message that if I gave them 25% off they would pay immediately. I thought to myself “Of course you pay immediately how is this benefit to me” and my item sold at the buy it now price later that day.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • balco758balco758 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appreciate the talk off the ledge....

Have to say I am more bullish on my 87 (10) then the 86 (9). Will be interesting to track the price movements over time.

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just had one squirrel earlier today :smiley:

@Vagabond said:

@balco758 said:
    Great thread.

But, I don’t want to.

You might have talked me off the ledge too. I broke my PSA 9 out from it's safe deposit box prison and was going to take it to a show Saturday. I may still take it, but just for show.

edited January 29, 2021 6:53PM

To sell a Jordan in order to fund another card is just plain silly. Jordan's are on fire. His cards command a premium with almost every new sale. I am not sure what someone could buy with the money they got from a Jordan sale and expect to do better and in a quicker amount of time. If anyone knows, I would love to hear it.

If you take the Jordan card to the show, you will most likely sell it. If you don't want to sell a card, then I suggest leaving it at home. This rule also applies when attending the National. Don't bring anything you don't want to sell. You will most likely get offers and things get awfully tempting. Haven't you read enough posts of people having Jordan regret sales because they didn't hold onto their MJ's. You can clearly learn from others mistakes without having to make one of your own.

I have no problem telling someone it is not for sale. I had it reholdered at the National a few years ago and had multiple offers that I politely declined, even from some of the biggest buyers in the industry. That being said I do like to get some of my fav cards out every now and then for some fresh air.

Reminds me of when I attend car shows and there are "trailer queens" that don't get driven and enjoyed much. I have always been one to drive mine to car shows far and near. So I will take my Jordan out for ride and then put it back in the garage next week. ;)

@maddux69 said:

@Vagabond said:

Brian: Lady, seven bucks for a used Juan Soto card? I'll give you five.

Card Store Customer: Ugh-huh, he autographed it himself.

Brian: All right, I'll give you four.

juan soto is not kenny loggins.

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@76collector said:
    HAHA. I get this as well. I have a 57 Mays with no creases that is dead centered for sale for 97 bucks. A guy offers me 50 and says he doesn't think it would grade high. I'm like bro, if it would grade high do you think I'd sell a 57 Mays for less than a 100 bucks ? GTFOH.

Let’s see the 57 Mays that is dead centered - please send me a PM if you want. Thank you 😉

This is for a sub-$100 item that I priced lower than current market average. It is the lowest price item of it's kind on ebay.

Ebay message on Jan 28th - Hello. Would you accept 75$ for this? Lmk and thx

I ignore the message. Then I got this today:

"Hello. Would you consider 73.00$ for this if paid today? Lmk and thx"

Joined ebay 2020.

Mike
  • ArmyManArmyMan Posts: 40 ✭✭

How bout "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a PSA 10 today", sounds kind of Wimpy to me, just sayin

@ndleo said:
    This is for a sub-$100 item that I priced lower than current market average. It is the lowest price item of it's kind on ebay.

Joined ebay 2020.

i'll give you $68 here off ebay to save you some fees. but we won't talk about the sales tax i'm not paying on top of the lowball offer, right? 😉

• robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

Reading this thread makes be even happier I stopped selling on Ebay last year.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I do not understand the modern negotiation techniques.

Mike
  • Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, at least Ebay is better than Craig's List! We once won a brand new home theater receiver in a raffle. Worth $400. Put it on Craig's List for $50 and the first three responses all offered less than $25.

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ndleo said:

Joined ebay 2020.

Could be the same squirrel I had yesterday

• mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Funny this thread comes up.....had a cheaper item listed for $14.95 with free shipping, had the message of "If you send me offer of $11, I will pay right away", all my listings explicitly say, I am not accepting offers unless the item has the "best offer" active on the listing, so I respond with 'If you pay $14.95, I will SHIP it right away"

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY

@mtcards said:
    so I respond with 'If you pay $14.95, I will SHIP it right away"

beef up your security bc i'm stealing this one! 😉

FEDEX shippers read this:

I use FedEx Ground for most box shipments. Even though the policy is $750, I use sig confirm for anything over $500, anything less gets shipped without sig confirm. On the tracking it lists whether or not sig confirm is required. I never had an issue with this until the past 2 months when three 2020 registered newbies tried to file a Not Delivered claim on me (FedEx tracking showed delivered each time). I think the newbies think that sig confirm is required on every shipment. I sent a copy of the policy to one and he dropped the case, the other two were ruled in my favor by ebay.

I don't know if this scam is being circulated around the newbie circles but each used similar language about no sig confirm. If this keeps happening I may have to use sig confirm for all shipments to 2020 registered users.

Mike
  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like more reason to sell on the boards. About 85% of my purchases the last 6 months have been from boards or through email from people I have bought from in the past (most originally from the boards). Scammers can of course be here but it should be pretty easy to get some folks here to vouch.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just getting more and more afraid to check my eBay Messages these days.

There's a reason my auctions don't have BO enabled ...

It's in English, but I still need a translator (on a listing that makes no mention of it being a RC or either of those years). Bonus: It's from a user in a country I don't even ship to ...
    This is a 1997 card right now 2004? Floyd’s rookie year is 1997.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d sell my 86 Jordan PSA 7 and sticker PSA 8 in a New York minute right now. Everything I have has a price. I’ve been checking eBay on some of my cards.
    1966 Namath PSA 7 $600. Sold price
    1970 Simpson PSA 7 $500 Sold price
    Never thought I’d see those prices but I’d sell. Crazy

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

So you mean that $3000 I sent to the Nigerian Prince wasn’t a good investment? He promised me $30M if I sent him that and my bank acct #. The transfer hasn’t gone through yet.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Canes8387899101Canes8387899101 Posts: 283 ✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2021 12:33PM

@KendallCat said:
    Had one guy PM me and says “this is a fair offer and you take now.” I asked him why was it a fair offer. Do you know what I paid for the card, what current sales are... he then sends back a note I pay now. Felt like I was in a bad Bruce Lee movie talking to him. 😄

Should tell him Not Fair! Go away now!, since your potential buyer seems to be a man of few words! This is why I have sold a little on here, and refuse to sell anymore on E-Bay.

• emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

6) ima hobby veteran. Would you sell to me at half the price? Cards are too expensive

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ArmyMan said:
    How bout "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a PSA 10 today", sounds kind of Wimpy to me, just sayin

Lol. You are going way back on that one!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.