Home Sports Talk
Options

The Curt Schilling Saga

HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently Mr. Schilling would rather not be considered for induction into the baseball Hall of Fame. Good for him.

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much of a statement since it was AFTER he failed to get in for the 9th time. What he said was take me off the ballot for my 10th and final year and I'll take my chances with the veterans committees later.

Schilling has said he doesn't think he belongs in the HOF so I'm not sure why the posturing.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2021 12:05PM

@Justacommeman said:

Schilling has said he doesn't think he belongs in the HOF so I'm not sure why the posturing.

That's exactly why I stated, "Good for him." He would know better than anyone if he is a worthy candidate or not. He thinks not. He's a realist. Schilling thinks like Groucho Marx who said, "I would never join a club with standards so low as to allow me as a member." ....... i.e. Bruce Sutter?

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

This saga is insane. The baseball writers are enjoying this. They're like a dog having a dream about a hot chick dog!

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@Justacommeman said:

That's exactly why I stated, "Good for him." He would know better than anyone if he is a worthy candidate or not. He thinks not. He's a realist. Schilling thinks like Groucho Marx who said, "I would never join a club with standards so low as to allow me as a member." ....... i.e. Bruce Sutter?

The funny thing is I personally thinks he belongs in the "new" Hall of Fame based on recent enshrines and based on what he did between the lines. Personally I find him to be a fool but a fool with HOF credentials

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Personally I find him to be a fool but a fool with HOF credentials

To tell you the truth I don't know beans about the man personality or player wise except for one particular baseball game I attended. Years ago my second oldest son was the pitcher in a game in which the opposing pitcher was a Philly who was on some sort of rehab because of an injury. I don't recall his name. Nobody special. His battery mate was also with the Phillies organization. I heard that Shilling was there too. Very small crowd, maybe 50 people. Anyway, my son was fresh out of high school, 18 years old. It was a real pitching duel and the Philly players were getting more and more agitated as the innings rolled by because some "kid" was going pitch for pitch with their guy. Tempers were hot and when the game ended 1-0 the Philly players went nutso. If it's true that Schilling was there and among the freak-out crew then yes he probably is somewhat of a fool. The others certainly were. But I can't say for certain.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have to give Shilling credit; he's honest. There are plenty of others who should not be there.

Charles Comiskey would head the list for me. If Buck Weaver and Shoeless Joe Jackson don't belong there, neither does he.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2021 6:48AM

Schilling is one of those guys that when he speaks 50% of the time it’s idiotic the other 50% is agreeable and he is telling it the way it is

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need more people in the World like Curt. Great guy.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

baseball jumped the shark a long time ago. Curt might be marginal but the PED guys should have gone in. PED's were blessed by the league the owners and everyone else during that stretch . Everyone had the chance to take them and those guys were better than their peers so they get in

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

During that time just about everyone was on something. They were competing on a level playing field. Those that were not on them were stuck in the Minor Leagues.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2021 12:06PM

I guess Reggie Jackson was quoted as saying Schilling's freedom of speech kept him out, If that is true, which I suspect it is at least in part, the baseball HOF is more of a joke than it has been becoming. Marginal players are getting in while some of the greatest ever are locked out. I think Schilling is a close call but his political views or whatever should have nothing to do with it. I don't follow the guy nor do not know a whole lot about him aside from that he's a little "out there" but so what?

• Options
    edited January 28, 2021 1:49PM

@bobbybakeriv said:
    I guess Reggie Jackson was quoted as saying Schilling's freedom of speech kept him out, If that is true, which I suspect it is at least in part, the baseball HOF is more of a joke than it has been becoming. Marginal players are getting in while some of the greatest ever are locked out. I think Schilling is a close call but his political views or whatever should have nothing to do with it. I don't follow the guy nor do not know a whole lot about him aside from that he's a little "out there" but so what?

Reggie's exact quote was this

"I would say to Curt, ‘Look at what you did. You took yourself out of the Hall of Fame because of what you say and how to express yourself and how you think.’ Freedom of speech is great, but we can’t have a country with white supremacy, Nazis, Black Panthers, racist stuff and anti-Semitics. We can’t have people wearing swastikas because it’s a freedom of expression. Come on!" the New York Yankees legend told the website.

Schilling supporting the Jan 6 Insurrection didn't help his cause either. I have no problem with people speaking their minds but I have no problem with people calling him out either. He's off the rails most of the time. I find his messaging mostly vile but still think he should get in the HOF.

m

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just deleted every post after this one by @Justacommeman . Things got ugly and political. Again, you all know the rules and they aren't that difficult to follow. I'm locking this down and any further Schilling discussion can be done in the other HOF thread, again as long as it doesn't get political.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
This discussion has been closed.