Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Buy it. But it now.

ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know what's going on. I think I've probably said that a few dozen times over the last calendar year. But we've definitely hit ludicrous speed and gone to plaid. An '86 Fleer Update Canseco PSA 10 got hit for $258. Is the card condition sensitive? Yeah, but so is the whole set. Then I just started looking at other cards from the era. It's absolutely effing insane.

If there was ever a card that you wanted for your collection -- and I mean, ANY card, not just some star player's rookie -- you should really buy it right now. Technically, you should have bought it 20 different times in the last year but I'm done saying "this is the top. It can't possibly get any higher" only to see a card I want double, triple, or quadruple in value.

Always kind of wanted a Matt Williams rookie? Buy it NOW.
Really like the looks of the '86 Topps Gooden? But it NOW.

This is sheer madness. I believe we're seeing an injection of such a large amount of new collectors to this era that we need to redefine what numbers now constitute "low pop." There is clearly nowhere near enough supply to satiate current demand.

Arthur

ETA: If you're reading this and you're a relatively new collector, I'd love to hear your opinion. Or even if you just want to sound off so maybe we could get an idea of how many new collectors we have. New opinions are always welcome.

Comments

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was my mentality back in October when I finally purchased a midgrade BGS Jordan Star 101 after toying with the idea for years. After seeing the run up on his card values during the Jordan Mania/Last Dance months it was pretty much now or never if I wanted to own one, luckily profits from my sales funded the entire purchase for me.

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Surprised by the Canseco PSA 10 Update price. The Canseco / Plunk is condition sensitive, both in terms of borders (front and back) and centering.

86 Fleer Update sets have been selling for $2 - $3 each over the past few years. Now they are going for $20 - $30 each, and MUCH MORE if FASC.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been around the hobby for 35 years now, and it is unlike anything I have ever seen. this really does beat the late 80's-early 90's boom. it is fun to ride the wave. I just hope history doesn't repeat itself.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• It's just insanity. All of it. Even a Black Lotus Magic the Gathering is over $300,000?

Michael Jordan 1986 Fleer PSA 9 $67,000? With a population of 2,762 and counting...?
    My 86F Jordan PSA 9 is one of my favorite cards, but I'm so tempted to sell it. That's just crazy money

• emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Great post. I've said the same.
    When you see it, Buy it NOW, right now! You might not see it again for awhile; it's gonna be more next time!!

FYI, I saw that FU canseco. I almost bought it myself.
    I have the '86 FU Will Clark. Got it in '18 for $75. Today would easily sell for $300-$400.

Late last year I hit the BIN on '52 Mathews PSA 4 (from a website) for $4500; I didn't hesitate, was gonna be gone by or before the next day. There is NO thinking about it!!!!
    Most recent PSA 4 sold for $5500. Mine is better centered.... ;)

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TGwynnCollector said:
    It's just insanity. All of it. Even a Black Lotus Magic the Gathering is over $300,000?

Michael Jordan 1986 Fleer PSA 9 $67,000? With a population of 2,762

great post, op.

long story short...with the sheer influx of new collectors/investors, there are WAY more than 2700 worldwide that can afford and want a mint jordan rookie.

demand can not meet supply. and demand is only going up each day. we are just getting started.

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first stimulus was $1.8 Trillion. If you add all of the asset buying the Fed did as well to inject cash into the system, I have read estimates above $3 Trillion in total cash dumped into the system. The next stimulus is $1.9 Trillion.

The question is can the Fed pull this all back when the economy improves? I don't think the Fed can do it since there is so much pressure to keep the easy money going. Every other Euro govt that tried to pull it back and bring back austerity was rioted out of office. This may be the new normal with $300+ 1980's PSA 10 lower tier rookies and $800 modern boxes.

To quote my favorite movie gangster -
    "The night of the fight, you may feel a slight sting. That's pride ****ing with you. **** pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps."

Hopefully that sting I am feeling is pride and not a bubble about to burst.

Mike
  • @blurryface said:

@TGwynnCollector said:
    It's just insanity. All of it. Even a Black Lotus Magic the Gathering is over $300,000?

great post, op.

long story short...with the sheer influx of new collectors/investors, there are WAY more than 2700 worldwide that can afford and want a mint jordan rookie.

demand can not meet supply. and demand is only going up each day. we are just getting started.

I get it, but IMO there are a smaller number of very wealthy people hoarding some of the iconic cards and driving the prices up. I.E people from sports, entertainment, and business with millions of excess cash to spend trying to control the market by buying it all. I'd be curious to see the number of different people that own a Jordan RC PSA 10. I bet there are a handful that are hoarding them. Just a guess though...

• sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:
    "Man, I have no idea what's going on here, but we're on a helluva ride."

Took the words right out of my mouth. Sure is awesome having a great moderator and BTW love reading your articles.... the passion flows through your pen.
    IMO, many of the '80's cards were just not worth grading....Williams, Gooden, Strawberry, Grace, Palmeiro, Sheffield, etc...
    Well, guess that may have been wrong. But then again a '90 Fleer basketball box is still a $5 box with 3-4 off center $2 Jordans to me. Hanging 10 and riding the same wave with ya'll............

edited January 27, 2021 3:02PM

@TGwynnCollector said:

@blurryface said:

@TGwynnCollector said:

great post, op.

I get it, but IMO there are a smaller number of very wealthy people hoarding some of the iconic cards and driving the prices up.

with all due respect...yep. and so! 😉

if i had the money to buy every wagner that came to market, i would as well.

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sayheywyo said:
    @AFLfan said:
    "Man, I have no idea what's going on here, but we're on a helluva ride."

Took the words right out of my mouth. Sure is awesome having a great moderator and BTW love reading your articles.... the passion flows through your pen.
    IMO, many of the '80's cards were just not worth grading....Williams, Gooden, Strawberry, Grace, Palmeiro, Sheffield, etc...
    Well, guess that may have been wrong. But then again a '90 Fleer basketball box is still a $5 box with 3-4 off center $2 Jordans to me. Hanging 10 and riding the same wave with ya'll............

Thank you for the kind words. Moderating is an interesting gig. I figure I hit some and miss others in this role, but I try my best to be fair. And I am glad you like the articles. Having been in this hobby a long time, I really do love it and appreciate learning about great collections, whether they are something I also collect or not. I hope that my excitement for the subject comes through because it is genuine.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • I’m one of the newbies. Collected as a kid from 86-92 and just now got back in around last October. I didn’t intentionally dive back into collecting but just started reading an article here and there about collecting and managed to get hooked. I’ve been somewhat oblivious to the fact that we’re in the midst of another boom just because I’m part of the boom.

But I have been absolutely stunned by how much cards on eBay appreciate almost daily. I started looking at PSA 10s on the 2011 Trout (US175) about a month ago and had pegged the price at roughly $2,500. Fast forward one month, and they’re now going for $4,000! I realize that card is iconic and in high demand but 60% appreciation in one month??! WOW

I can say for me, a drawing factor of collecting that didn’t even exist when I last collected is the grading industry and the associated commoditization of graded cards. Without that aspect, I don’t think I’d have been drawn back in. I would guess many other newbies feel the same way.

• billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

Good to see Dave Spiwak on the boards!!

@billwaltonsbeard said:
    Good to see Dave Spiwak on the boards!!

just loaded up on jay johnstone rcs! :)

• sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭

just loaded up on jay johnstone rcs! :)

Shhh, quiet. One tweet and they might explode. Hoarding Divac, Kemp and Hardaway from that explosive 90 Fleer....

• Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2021 6:14PM

@i_am_jaymac said:
    So, that's where i am now: i'm building my PC of guys i want to own and pretty much dumped what i don't want and had some value (except a basement full of worthless cardboard).>

I'm the same way. Revisited my vintage football collection (that I had stopped acquiring in the early 90s) about 18 months ago. Decided I wanted to focus on quality, not quantity. Still in the process of selling stuff off on Ebay, but about 85% is gone.

Luckily, as I sold stuff, I'd use the proceeds to buy high-grade HOF rookies. I figured the high-grades will always be in more demand. So I'd sell two $200 sets from the 80s, and I'd buy a single $400 card. I'm glad I didn't wait. So many cards would now be out of reach. Instead, I bought the big guys early and now have the #13 Pro Football Hall of Fame Players/Coaches/Admin set on PSA and the #30 Pro Football Hall of Fame Rookie Players set.

I haven't put in a dime more than I can sell my current cards for. So even if prices drop, I'll have a great (condensed) collection for the price of all those 25-cent packs and $3 stars I bought back in the mid-80s.

• ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2021 10:00PM

I bought a 2000 Brady Bowman Chrome psa 10 4-5 months ago in the 5-6k range.... and thought I was LATE TO THE PARADE......lol ........ When Wall Street hedge funds and private equity get involved ~ and then you have these same investors fighting to buy Collectors Universe...... its some damn GOOD TIMES baby!

• ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2021 7:24AM

I surmise a correction comes after the Covid cure runs its course and America wakes up to the inevitable gutting of small and intermediate businesses across this country .... I think this shut down might see an opposite affect on the way out of lockdown..... I hope not but cheap money is so awfully uncomfortable when it comes to creating bubbles. Everything on ebay is "High end and Holy Grail" and PWCC is hiding bidders identities.....Venture on Youtube and you find vloggers popping up left and right discussing the hobby like they found the spare key to the playboy mansion.. if that doesn't make you feel uneasy nothing will.

@emar said:
    Great post. I've said the same.
    When you see it, Buy it NOW, right now! You might not see it again for awhile; it's gonna be more next time!!

FYI, I saw that FU canseco. I almost bought it myself.
    I have the '86 FU Will Clark. Got it in '18 for $75. Today would easily sell for $300-$400.

Late last year I hit the BIN on '52 Mathews PSA 4 (from a website) for $4500; I didn't hesitate, was gonna be gone by or before the next day. There is NO thinking about it!!!!
    Most recent PSA 4 sold for $5500. Mine is better centered.... ;)

BO accepted: $5700
    Listed and GONE!
    The good vintage is disappearing into PCs or into investment funds
    These aren't card flippers

• Great reading all of your comments. I'm 50 and collected from early '80's to early/mid '90's and have a bunch of ungraded cards that have been sitting in sleeves or album pages for 25-30 years... included in that are all of the 86 fleer basketball and even some of the Star cards from back then... I got back into collecting in August of last year and didn't realize how much it had exploded until a month or so later... at this point...i'm not even sure where to start. I've submitted a small order of FB cards from '70's and '80s to PSA for grading during their last quarterly grading special but that hasn't even been started yet.

Can you all give me any advice on how I should handle some of my cards? That 86 Jordan and all of those RC's from that set...

• balco758balco758 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome.

1. Slowly put the MJ into a card saver and out of album. Repeat: slowly.

2. Post some scans and folks can give you advice.

3. Re read #1

Steve

• I'll post those this evening...thanks Steve

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

People who got burned in 90-92 timeframe are just coming back around to the hobby in time to get burned again.

Like has been said about real estate and the stock market. When your barber starts talking about an asset class as an investment, it’s time to hit the exits.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MDLB said:
    Isn't the 'Buy it. But it now' subject line freaking anyone else out ?

• @Ahmanfan said:
    People who got burned in 90-92 timeframe are just coming back around to the hobby in time to get burned again.

Like has been said about real estate and the stock market. When your barber starts talking about an asset class as an investment, it’s time to hit the exits.

So very true. Many of us amateurs are bound to get burned again. Oh well, when it happens we’ll toss all our cards back in the closet/attic like we did 30 years ago our kids can go through them in another 30 years!

• I'm new to the boards and have found a lot of great info! Makes me excited again like I was when I was collecting as a teenager... back then you had to search for your cards...now you can find them with a click of he mouse...takes a lot of the fun away but I still enjoy it!

• All I know is that I've made more money than I ever have in the hobby this year and was finally able to acquire my white whale - a game used Michael Jordan photo matched autographed jersey.

Unreal times we live in.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.

Ive paid too much money for an overpriced card plenty of times since 2009.
    I still got them

@LyleB12 said:
    I'm new to the boards and have found a lot of great info! Makes me excited again like I was when I was collecting as a teenager... back then you had to search for your cards...now you can find them with a click of he mouse...takes a lot of the fun away but I still enjoy it!

Wait til the card shows come back. That's good stuff!
    Glad you're enjoying it. Set a budget, do your research, and it takes patience to achieve your goals.
    Welcome, don't be a stranger!

edited January 28, 2021 6:29PM

!> @emar said:

Ive paid too much money for an overpriced card plenty of times since 2009.
    I still got them

overpaying today is a steal tomorrow. whether it's a high end psa 2 or gem mint 10, the top tier stuff always commands more. you HAVE to overpay. no one gives away the best for cheap.

now those that are flipping & day trading, then best of luck. they'll need it.

• Appreciate any comments!

• dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would want to see it out of the holder, however appears 7-8. Nice!!!!!!

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful centering!
    Get that subbed to psa asap!

• So if I send it in to PSA, how do you send an item like this? And which level of grading? Super express?

• jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LyleB12 said:
    So if I send it in to PSA, how do you send an item like this? And which level of grading? Super express?

Yep...that is the real deal. Should be a solid PSA 8. Carefully place it into a Card Saver 1 semi-rigid holder. Be sure to open the mouth of the holder while sliding the card in so you don’t knick a corner or the bottom edge. This holder keeps it moving during shipping. Then place between two pieces of cut cardboard and tape each side with painters tape. Place in a sturdy shipping box and send via FedEx or UPS to PSA. since you are looking at a $15-20k card, I would send for express service. Congrats!

• rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@LyleB12 said:
    Ok... here’s the 86 Jordan.., it has been in this case since 87 or so.

Nice centering I’d expect a 6 on it and we’ll worth it to grade as soon as you can.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Do you put it in a penny sleeve and then card saver 1 or just into the card saver?

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

Don’t mess with a penny sleeve only bad things can happen.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Anyone going to the card show in Allen, TX this weekend?

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking 7 on the Jordan. Congrats and good luck.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Jordan rookie, but it's hard to give a grading opinion without a better look at that lower right corner. That being said, no mater what the bottom corner looks like it needs to be graded.

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

@Ahmanfan said:

I absolutely agree. That's why I am selling everything. Now seems a pretty good time.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.