Home U.S. Coin Forum

Morgan Dollar Choice - Which do you prefer?

pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given approximately the same cost, the same grade, the same TPG and very similar reverses - which one would you take home?

Comments

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

All other things being equal, I’ll take the colorful one. I’ve got several shiny white ones and would love to add a nice toner.

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the original and colorful one on the left.

Duh.

😈

• EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

The one with color.

ED
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭✭✭

Colorful everyday !

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting trend so far and not what I expected. They are both graded MS67 by our hosts, if that changes anything.

Tim

• scooter25scooter25 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭

Definitely give me some color

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:
    Interesting trend so far and not what I expected. They are both graded MS67 by our hosts, if that changes anything.

Tim

Wait for ricko.

I like color and if that is a 67, I bet it’s nicer looking in hand.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

COLOR!!

• MartinMartin Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m cheap. I would not pay 67 money for either. The luster better be all there. The toner lols to dark for my tastes. I’d also look for a cleaner coin than the blast white coin. It might be a 67 but to me if I were looking for one I’d try to find a cleaner coin. BTW I do like toners. Just not that one

Martin

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

The toned one. The other one has a dipped to hell and back look.

@Martin said:
    I’m cheap. I would not pay 67 money for either. The luster better be all there. The toner lols to dark for my tastes. I’d also look for a cleaner coin than the blast white coin. It might be a 67 but to me if I were looking for one I’d try to find a cleaner coin. BTW I do like toners. Just not that one

Martin

Yes, maybe that's a better question - are either worthy of an MS67 holder?

• ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

There both great looking morgans i just dont think there worthy of a 67 grade. Maybe 66+ tops IMHO pass on both

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2021 6:36PM

Brilliant one. The toner inferior due to surface abrasions on cheek, tarnished look. The brilliant one PQ w super cartwheel luster.

Coins & Currency
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the blast white one more but would be happy to own either one.

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd lean towards the toner. It's no monster (or even high end color) but it is above average. The untoned example looks average. If the cost is about the same, the toner should be a better value.

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

With MS67 grade, I’d pick the toned one every time if cost wasn’t an issue.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

67? With That cheek?

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Observation:
    Toned- 10 votes
    White- 2 votes

Conclusion:
    Those two coins would not be priced equally.

• scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would take the blast white Morgan, that thing looks like a luster bomb! However, I also like the toned one. :D

@MasonG said:
    Observation:
    Toned- 10 votes
    White- 2 3 votes

Conclusion:
    Those two coins would not be priced equally.

And yet they are in the same neighborhood.....

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easily the color one.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

With only the obverse to be viewed, no question to me, the white coin wins hands down. I immediately was drawn to the toned coins facial destruction compared to the white coin's far smoother and less chattered skin. I'm a toned coin guy and there would still be no decision to be made for me.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

@pointfivezero said:

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that, but... were they offered for sale in the same venue, to the same group of buyers?

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin one.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

@MasonG said:

@pointfivezero said:

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that, but... were they offered for sale in the same venue, to the same group of buyers?

@MasonG said:

@pointfivezero said:

They are both currently for sale from the same online dealer. Don’t want to say more as I will likely purchase one of them.

• RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't want to give 67 money for either IMHO.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

The color is muted. In this case, I'd go for white and flashy..

Dead people tell interesting tales.

@pointfivezero said:
    They are both currently for sale from the same online dealer. Don’t want to say more as I will likely purchase one of them.

Fair enough. Which one do you think would disappear first if people knew they were available?

@MasonG said:

@pointfivezero said:

Fair enough. Which one do you think would disappear first if people knew they were available?

Good question - the white coin has been available for awhile. The toner was just added today.

Current score from this esteemed group:

Toner = 12
    White = 5
    No way = 4

Tim

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Color is too much. If I was buying a 67 I would want to see the mark free surfaces. So, I'll go with the white on the right.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

The toner got an eye appeal bump in grade because of the toning, so there's sort of already a toning premium baked into it. That said, it's a more unique, special coin than the white one. If I wanted a white 82-S Morgan in 67, I'd find one with concave fields. Those are breathtaking and priced like generic 82-Ss in 67. It's sort of a unique feature of some coins of that date.

@messydesk said:
    The toner got an eye appeal bump in grade because of the toning, so there's sort of already a toning premium baked into it. That said, it's a more unique, special coin than the white one. If I wanted a white 82-S Morgan in 67, I'd find one with concave fields. Those are breathtaking and priced like generic 82-Ss in 67. It's sort of a unique feature of some coins of that date.

You guys are prying out all my secrets - this is an '82-CC.

Tim

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Don’t want to say more as I will likely purchase one of them."

"You guys are prying out all my secrets - this is an '82-CC."

You let the cat out of the bag......took about 30 seconds to find em'. :p:D

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭✭

Neither. I'd go more for the VF to XF range like the example below. I like something that has a history & some actual "use" in its background over higher-grade/blast/toned ones.... (doesn't hurt that they're more within my budget, either).

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

The colorful one is pretty, but not spectacular and maybe has a bit more chatter than I’d like for a 67. The white one doesn’t look that special for a white one. I’d want a coin with more frost on the devices at that grade level. I don’t think I’d buy either

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:

@messydesk said:

You guys are prying out all my secrets - this is an '82-CC.

Tim

OK, that explains the slightly more scuffs than I would have expected otherwise. It also explains why there really isn't much of a toning premium, as an 82-CC in 67 is already a fairly spendy coin.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd whip out my loupe and find the better VAM. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely NOT the tarnished coin.... Surprise, surprise (said in my best Gomer Pyle accent)...
    I do not like a tarnished coin
    I will not buy a tarnished coin
    Not even a little,
    Certainly not a lot
    Not for me, that tarnished coin.
    :D Cheers, RickO

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am Not a fan of toning, so it is the "White" one for me.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Color is too much. If I was buying a 67 I would want to see the mark free surfaces. So, I'll go with the white on the right.

bob :)

Agree. I'd wonder what that dark toning is hiding. Hairlines perhaps? At least the brilliant white coin can be easily examined for any small surface flaws.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file