Home Sports Talk
Options

Nope it was not Belichick

spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a Pats nor a Bucs fan, but now at halftime for TB-GB - it is pretty darn clear what drove the Patriots over the past 2 decades.......... Impressed!

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Comments

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2021 3:46PM

First, yes, Brady is having a good game. But absent two GB turnovers the score of this game would now be GB 17 - TB 14. Seems important to think about while we're deciding whether Brady deserves 99% or 100% of the credit for what will probably still be a TB win. (Hint: neither 99% or 100% are in the correct order of magnitude of the correct answer.)

And as I write this, Brady has been picked and is officially no longer the best QB in this game.

And after pick #2, absent the two GB turnovers, GB would be winning 24-14, they'd have the ball, and they would have a probability of winning of around 88%. And yet, if TB wins, too many people will make the incredibly foolish statement that "Brady won the NFC championship game". Take a stand for the other 43 players in this game, and for common sense, and don't be one of those people. Be a person who understands football instead.

And after pick #3, the question is now whether TB can hang on to win despite Tom Brady. Now you definitely don't want to be one of those people who say "Tom Brady won the NFC championship" (if TB wins); because those people will be morons.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

I certainly know it takes more than one person to win any football game. No doubt about it. Tampa Bay won the game and GB DID have the turnovers. That's football. And to me, Brady takes a backseat to no one. I am no Brady lover but the facts are simply the facts. He flat out wins.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing that with Tampa Bay's win today Brady is going to play in ten Superbowls.

That is almost 1 out of every 5 Superbowls that has been played.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also amazing that in Brady's 20 year career he has played in 14 conference title games, winning 10 and losing 4.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2021 5:16PM

First year on a new team who hadnt sniffed the postseason in over a decade in a new conference with a new coaching staff and he's back in the Super Bowl. Again. Absolutely amazing. He is the GOAT.

I cant believe, however, that GB kicked a FG in that spot. What an asinine call. That may be even a worse call than Carroll not running Lynch at the goal line in the Super Bowl. At least they took a shot with that one. LaFleur took the ball out of Rodgers hands and handed it back to Tom Brady. Absolutely asinine call..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    Also amazing that in Brady's 20 year career he has played in 14 conference title games, winning 10 and losing 4.

Rogers championship game record is grim

• Options

@dallasactuary said:
    First, yes, Brady is having a good game. But absent two GB turnovers the score of this game would now be GB 17 - TB 14. Seems important to think about while we're deciding whether Brady deserves 99% or 100% of the credit for what will probably still be a TB win. (Hint: neither 99% or 100% are in the correct order of magnitude of the correct answer.)

And as I write this, Brady has been picked and is officially no longer the best QB in this game.

And after pick #2, absent the two GB turnovers, GB would be winning 24-14, they'd have the ball, and they would have a probability of winning of around 88%. And yet, if TB wins, too many people will make the incredibly foolish statement that "Brady won the NFC championship game". Take a stand for the other 43 players in this game, and for common sense, and don't be one of those people. Be a person who understands football instead.

And after pick #3, the question is now whether TB can hang on to win despite Tom Brady. Now you definitely don't want to be one of those people who say "Tom Brady won the NFC championship" (if TB wins); because those people will be morons.

so rogers had a good day then because his qb rating was higher ?

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

I for one will admit I believed it was the Belicheck system of just plug in the next guy up and the good times would keep rolling. I now realize how wrong my thinking was. The proof is what has played out before our eyes this season. It was Brady all along. He was the constant that kept the good times rolling in New England. Hoping for Brady vs Mahomes in a couple weeks. It should be epic!

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm starting to think none of it was Belichick

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2021 6:28PM

I watched Belichick make adjustments at half time in game after game for the Patriots. Cam Newton didn’t work, but it has not changed my opinion of Belichick’s ability. He is a great coach, but he does not play on the field.

Vince Lombardy was the “greatest coach” when he was at Green Bay, but he did not take Washington to the promised land. Did that make him any less great!?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭

Belecheck wanted a running game and not a passing game. Brady left because of it .End of story! How much longer is Kraft going to put up with him is my question?

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Belecheck wanted a running game and not a passing game. Brady left because of it .End of story! How much longer is Kraft going to put up with him is my question?

No the invisible salary cap killed the patriots . Bill is pulling in 25 million a year and no player is allowed to make more than bill . They cant sign any qb that is established in 2021 under that rule . If mahomes wanted to come here bill would say no you have to take a pay cut.

Every big name qb available wants 25 mil now

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:

Brady had no one to throw to in his last New England season. Why stay when you have no support?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@bronco2078 said:

so rogers had a good day then because his qb rating was higher ?

Whether or not it was "good" is a judgment call that I leave to you. That Rogers had a "better" game than Brady is so obvious I won't insult your intelligence by believing for a second that you don't already know that. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers overcame the QB deficit with surpluses elsewhere and beat the Green Bay Packers. That's how football works. It's a team game. As you, since you're not stupid, already know.

• Options

who says im not stupid :D

Winning is the only stat that matters , rogers is a failure as a qb not as bad as marino but only a tick behind

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

er, ah.....

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/24/us/super-bowl-2021-teams-spt-trnd/index.html

And, I, am, no, Brady, fan. But.........

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@bronco2078 said:
    who says im not stupid :D

Winning is the only stat that matters , rogers is a failure as a qb not as bad as marino but only a tick behind

Rogers is a failure because one of his teammates fumbled and another chose the last play of the first half to take a nap. Stop. Just stop. It burns. Please stop.

• Options

4 straight losses in his ladt 4 championship games some mvp

• Options

If Tampa had continued to start Jamis Winston, they would not be in the playoffs. I am not saying that Brady will lead them to the promised land, but without him, they would not be close.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady will receive the lion's share of the praise, but the Tampa D is the reason they are playing again in 2 weeks. when the offense began running on fumes in the 2nd half and started turning the ball over, the defense flexed in the red zone in a way that i didn't think possible. call Rodgers a choker if you so desire, but i will take the glass-half-full approach and give a public shout-out to the 11 Buccaneers on defense. those dudes stuck their collective fingers in the dyke.

in fact, they were so good inside the 20 that they fried Matt LaFleur's brain and forced him to kick a field goal when 101 times out of 100 he should've gone for the touch. that in and of itself deserves a game ball

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    Brady will receive the lion's share of the praise, but the Tampa D is the reason they are playing again in 2 weeks. when the offense began running on fumes in the 2nd half and started turning the ball over, the defense flexed in the red zone in a way that i didn't think possible. call Rodgers a choker if you so desire, but i will take the glass-half-full approach and give a public shout-out to the 11 Buccaneers on defense. those dudes stuck their collective fingers in the dyke.

in fact, they were so good inside the 20 that they fried Matt LaFleur's brain and forced him to kick a field goal when 101 times out of 100 he should've gone for the touch. that in and of itself deserves a game ball

The kick makes no sense ! friggin stat nerds banissh them from the teams

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regardless Tom Brady is playing in his 10th Super Bowl. That is insane

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Yeah I thought the 14 conference championship games were insane but the 10 Super Bowls are even more insane.
    And a 6-4 record in the Super Bowl is pretty dang good also! B)

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

TB defense is the reason they won today but Tom Brady is the reason Tampa is in the Super Bowl.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

He's entering Otto Graham territory. :)

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:

@perkdog said:

He's entering Otto Graham territory. :)

Brady passed Otto Graham territory long ago. When I was kid, long after Graham had played his last game, Johnnie Unitas was considered to the greatest quarterback. Now Unitas is not even in the conversation.

• Options

Graham Played in the Championship Game 10 times in 10 years. His record is 7-3. If Brady wins he will equal that record.

Ralph

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

there are reasons Aaron Rodgers had a higher QB rating. Brady had at least 4 drops yesterday. one pick was a bad throw. one pick was a tipped ball. one pick was under extreme duress and tom threw it up knowing that He was going toward Mike Evans and he would have a good chance at a jump ball, and if he didn't come down with it, it would basically serve as a punt way back in GB territory.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Billyk97Billyk97 Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

I think taking Brady out of the equation for Tampa, Tampa had a great playoff team already in place. The offense was stacked with talent and the defense was starting to become great before Tom got to Tampa. Jameis Winston was surely the Kryptonite of the team with 30 interceptions in a season. You will never make the playoffs with those kind of turnovers. Tampa just needed a halfway competent quarterback with a combination of experience and not turning the ball over. Surely, Tom would not be in the position today if he went somewhere like the Jaguars, Jets, Bengals. Not saying he isn't a great quarterback in his own right, but I don't think Brady would have great success going to teams that didn't have a great defense in place.

As for Rodgers, definitely breaks my heart as a Packer fan not seeing Rodgers get another crack at the Super Bowl. Football is such an interesting game. We always give credit to the quarterback that wins the game and loses the game. You shouldn't evaluate it that way though. Number of super bowls and playoff wins should never define a player on how great they are. There are teams like the Lions who haven't even sniffed a playoff win in 60 years. Surely, they would be happy going to 5 NFC championship games in ten years with a single quarterback at the helm. It's all about winning in sports, but plenty of great players that changed the game forever never won a Super Bowl. Rodgers certainly has been the greatest talent to ever play the quarterback position, until Mahomes showed up and think he can certainly pass Rodgers in that regards if he keeps playing the way he has been.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    there are reasons Aaron Rodgers had a higher QB rating. Brady had at least 4 drops yesterday. one pick was a bad throw. one pick was a tipped ball. one pick was under extreme duress and tom threw it up knowing that He was going toward Mike Evans and he would have a good chance at a jump ball, and if he didn't come down with it, it would basically serve as a punt way back in GB territory.

Exactly, Brady has thrown a number of long balls on 3 and long a bunch of times in his career, honestly I think it’s in his mind that it’s as good as punt and worth a shot. But haters are going to hold it against him and that’s the bottom line

• Options

@Billyk97 said:

I think taking Brady out of the equation for Tampa, Tampa had a great playoff team already in place. The offense was stacked with talent and the defense was starting to become great before Tom got to Tampa. Jameis Winston was surely the Kryptonite of the team with 30 interceptions in a season. You will never make the playoffs with those kind of turnovers. Tampa just needed a halfway competent quarterback with a combination of experience and not turning the ball over. Surely, Tom would not be in the position today if he went somewhere like the Jaguars, Jets, Bengals. Not saying he isn't a great quarterback in his own right, but I don't think Brady would have great success going to teams that didn't have a great defense in place.

As for Rodgers, definitely breaks my heart as a Packer fan not seeing Rodgers get another crack at the Super Bowl. Football is such an interesting game. We always give credit to the quarterback that wins the game and loses the game. You shouldn't evaluate it that way though. Number of super bowls and playoff wins should never define a player on how great they are. There are teams like the Lions who haven't even sniffed a playoff win in 60 years. Surely, they would be happy going to 5 NFC championship games in ten years with a single quarterback at the helm. It's all about winning in sports, but plenty of great players that changed the game forever never won a Super Bowl. Rodgers certainly has been the greatest talent to ever play the quarterback position, until Mahomes showed up and think he can certainly pass Rodgers in that regards if he keeps playing the way he has been.

And Rodgers and Mahomes would not be in the position they are in if they played for the Jets either.

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2021 8:04AM

@craig44 said:

Exactly.

Brady made some phenomenal throws that went for scores or key first downs. That was enough to win the game.

He showed he still has a cannon on one of those key first downs. He still has a better arm than Montana did in his prime and he is 43 years old.

Like Craig said above, the one pick was basically a punt and actually a smart play. He had the wherewithal to know that while under duress. To me that was an example of why he is so good, not an example of being 'bad' because it ended up an interception.

As for Rodgers and his QB rating? Rodgers failed miserably in the red zone. They win if he is better in the red zone. QB rating does not account for that. Gotta put the ball in the end zone. Brady did.

• Options
    Billyk97Billyk97 Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@Billyk97 said:

And Rodgers and Mahomes would not be in the position they are in if they played for the Jets either.

Totally agree with that as well. Takes all three phases of the ball to win the game.

• Options
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

This.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@galaxy27 said:

This.

brady elevates the players on both sides of the ball . He is like the anti rogers . You see Aaaaaron's press conference after he failed for the 20th time to lead his team to a win? Wasn't my fault wasn't me , what a loser that guy is

Green bays QB doesn't have it and the coach is a loser stat nerd who kicked because there was a .2% probability of something or other. Or because he watched Aaaaaron do nothing in the red zone about 15 times , never mind 4th down 3rd down he threw into double coverage when he could have slow walked in

Its called HALO :D

• Options

You could be the greatest quarterback that ever lived, but it you don't have an offensive line that can protect you and at least of couple of receivers who can get open, you will be rated as among the worst. It's hard to throw when you are on your back.

Look a Brady in 2019 with New England. He didn't have a decent receiver at the end of the season. Therefore they are knocked out of the play-offs easily. The best he had was Welker and he was playing hurt.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@galaxy27 said:

This.

brady elevates the players on both sides of the ball . He is like the anti rogers . You see Aaaaaron's press conference after he failed for the 20th time to lead his team to a win? Wasn't my fault wasn't me , what a loser that guy is

Green bays QB doesn't have it and the coach is a loser stat nerd who kicked because there was a .2% probability of something or other. Or because he watched Aaaaaron do nothing in the red zone about 15 times , never mind 4th down 3rd down he threw into double coverage when he could have slow walked in

Its called HALO :D

😂😂😂👍👍

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    brady elevates the players on both sides of the ball .

LOL!

{That was a joke, right?}

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

I still think it was the unique combination of the two men. However, I give Tom Brady HUGE props for both his on field play and his team leadership. Just listen to what the players and coaches in Tampa say about him (on both sides of the ball). That means a ton to me. Like him or not, Brady's presence makes a difference in the locker room.

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

@bronco2078 said:
    brady elevates the players on both sides of the ball .

LOL!

{That was a joke, right?}

no spreadsheet has ever won a superbowl

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    no spreadsheet has ever won a superbowl

No QB has ever won a Super Bowl either. It's even rare that the best player on the teams that have won the Super Bowl was the QB. Griese wasn't even in the top 10 in either of the Dolphins wins (probably not even top 20 in the first one), but people still say "Griese won 2 Super Bowls". It's not nice to laugh at the mentally handicapped, but it's hard not to laugh at stuff like that.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dallas- serious question for you.
    Why did you LOL at Bronco for saying Brady elevates players on both sides of the ball?
    Why can't that be true?

As an example how about the Bills- Chiefs game when Mecole Hardman fumbled a kickoff and the Bills
    recovered at the 3 yard line and quickly scored a TD to make it a 9-0 score.
    Hardman was down in the dumps you could see it in his demeanor and I saw several teammates console him
    and offer encouragement. After that fumble Hardman had a great game and it looked like the Chiefs were
    trying to get him the ball any chance they could. After the game Hardman thanked the coaches for believing
    in him and that he really appreciated it. Now he is confident instead of crushed going into the Super Bowl.
    Now wouldn't it be fair to say that the Chiefs coaches and players elevated Hardman with their leadership
    abilities. A terrible coach would have sat him on the sideline the rest of the game and terrible teammates
    would have ignored him.
    So why do you never include intangible qualities when measuring players or laugh them off like you did Bronco's comment?

• Options

@Darin said:
    Dallas- serious question for you.
    Why did you LOL at Bronco for saying Brady elevates players on both sides of the ball?

Because it was funny.

As for the rest of your argument, what you say could be true of a coach, a QB, a lineman, or the waterboy. I have zero reason to believe that Brady "elevates" the play of individual players on defense and Bronco has zero evidence that Brady does. From the opening kickoff to the final whistle, there is a neanderthal way of looking at a football game that says everything good that happens for the winning team was due to their QB, and everything bad that happens for the losing team is the fault of their QB. I find it terribly amusing, and LOL funny when we can't even give a defensive player credit for his good play without forcing him to share it with a QB who had nothing whatsoever to do with it.

As for why I don't include "intangible qualities" when measuring players, your oxymoron answers itself. Something intangible can't, by definition, be measured. If you, Bronco, or anyone else, has evidence that a defensive player on NE or TB has ever made a play that they otherwise wouldn't have made due to the "elevating" influence of Tom Brady, then share it, and I'll include it. But you don't, not does anyone else; all anyone has is the preconceived notion that if something good happens it must be the QB who gets credit for it. Substitute the long snapper for the QB and the "elevate" argument has exactly the same merit, but everyone would LOL at it. Wouldn't you? Absent a shred of evidence that Brady deserves more credit than the long snapper, why wouldn't you also laugh at what Bronco said?

• Options

Bronco is correct. A great QB can elevate the play of the defense. There is a reason teams throw millions of dollars at QBs.

Ralph

• Options

LOL